Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, comfortably asleep. Smoke detector goes off... after checking it, silence it, wife still in bed. “ Get up, get cloths on, shoes. You check upstairs, I will check basement.
Nothing. Cleaned dust (ok it was bad) from detector, battery, open brand new detector, put battery in, places few ft away... nothing.
So 12 hrs later I assume just dust? The 3 other on this level, 2 upstairs, 2 downstairs... didn’t go off. I do have a headache. (But have been outside most of day, furnace has been off for weeks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I know that there is a “life” to certain detectors. Had a few that wouldn’t shut up after 12 years. Had to replace them.

·
Premium Member
26,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was extremely dusty. First time there has not been a “cause”. Will work on wife. If alarm sounds, you get up, check, look, smell. Then think on it, check again before going back to sleep.

·
Premium Member
26,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was a master guard. It’s been extremely reliable. There has always been a “reason” in past. Toast stuck in toaster, food bubbling over in oven....

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Better the occasional false alarm than no alarm.

Just saying.

Consider that you passed the drill.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Like everything else they have a lifespan. My ballpark is 5 years for smoke detectors.

So I'm working in Ladder-35 near Lincoln Center and we get a run for an automatic alarm system activation. Nice brownstone on the fashionable Upper West Side of Manhattan near Central Park West.
Get in, no threat to life or property, no evidence of CO; tell the chief a Defective Alarm Device.

Owner of the property is Yitzak Pearlman, famous violinist, I recognize him and we chat for a moment. He is very happy us blue collar guys know who he is. He sits us down at his dining room table(I went In-Service by radio) and he plays his violin for us for 20 minutes. It was great.

·
Premium Member
26,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like everything else they have a lifespan. My ballpark is 5 years for smoke detectors.

So I'm working in Ladder-35 near Lincoln Center and we get a run for an automatic alarm system activation. Nice brownstone on the fashionable Upper West Side of Manhattan near Central Park West.
Get in, no threat to life or property, no evidence of CO; tell the chief a Defective Alarm Device.

Owner of the property is Yitzak Pearlman, famous violinist, I recognize him and we chat for a moment. He is very happy us blue collar guys know who he is. He sits us down at his dining room table(I went In-Service by radio) and he plays his violin for us for 20 minutes. It was great.
If I started playing my Saxophone they would leave code 3+.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts