close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Waitress Sues, Police Seize $12,000 Tip

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Shadyscott69, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

2. ray9898

ray9898

She called the police who investigated and believe it to be drug money. She will have a court hearing where a judge will view all the evidence and decide.

3. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

What a shame :brickwall:

:50cal:

4. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

Ray, my point is, if you get stopped for speeding, remove your DL from your wallet and the officer decides he smells "drugs" they could confiscate YOUR money. IIRC, something like 97% of paper currency in the US has some type of drug residue.

There is no way to set a standard regarding they way this PD used this law. Completely arbitrary IMO. I imagine the law was intended to be used where $$ was found in proximity to actual drugs. No based on a smell.

I do think something "smells" in this entire case, just not of drugs. :wavey:

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

The "dog sniffed it and detected drugs so therefore it must be drug money" is a crock. Her lawyer should be able to do squelch that argument pretty easily.

I've read where something a pretty large percentage of American cash would test positive for drugs as it has been passed around and used in drug transactions at one point.

Don't believe me? Even Snopes confirms this one:
    http://www.snopes.com/business/money/cocaine.asp

(Scott... number is closer to 80% *worst case* than 97% according to Snopes, but the point is... it's a bogus argument. Oh, and how did you do at SC State Match?)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  6. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Probably not the best use of seizure laws, but if she thought everything was okay with it, why did she call the police in the first place? It sounds like she thought something was wrong, called the police wanting them to bless it, and then got pissed when they got suspicous, too.

7. chickenwing

chickenwing

She doesn't need that money. The police need that money more to buy all their tacticool AR accessories and 5.11 pants.

8. GD2J

GD2J GoDirectly2Jail

This.

9. ray9898

ray9898

...but that is not what happened. What happened was someone left $12k in a resturant. Obviously that is pretty much unheard of and even the waitress suspected something since she called LE. After an investigation they believed it to be drug profits and it may not be a good samaritan leaving her a gift due to her financial woes as she now claims.

Bottom line, I don't think there is any proof that it is not lost/mislaid property other than her own statement where she claims to have been told "you keep it" by this unknown person. Let the judge decide.

10. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

Let's just say... My WORST match ever. 3 FTE for 90 and I felt like I was dragging a piano the entire day. Lot's of mental mistakes. You going to the Spartanburg match Sat.?

11. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

12. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Some of us have HONOR.

If I found $12000, as bad as I need money, I would follow protocols. Turn it into the local PD. If it is unclaimed within a certain time frame {IIRC, 30 days} it goes to the finder.

13. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Sorry to hear about your match.
    Fairly happy with mine. 17th production out of 59, the 6th B out of 16. Most of the Bs who beat me have been doing this a lot longer than I.

I had no misses/penalties/anything bad. Fairly solid throughout.

I want to try Spartanburg one of these days, but it's a long way for me (as in 70+ miles one way). And I've got some chores for this weekend.

14. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

Note to self. If someone gives or I find money. Do not call the COPs. :supergrin:

However. Hide said money to ensure it can't be used as evidence against me.

15. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I wonder what the LEO on this forum cannot justify is acceptable for popo to do??? One day I may actually see an GT LEO not justify something....but one day I may also not have to pay taxes...which will happen first??

-Dana

16. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

The "war on drugs" is used to justify anything.

Now what would be even better is to have your $12000 taken away (that the police have no evidence is illegal) and then get a "free" strip search...

17. ray9898

ray9898

This is not a $100 tip, this is $12k left in a resturant where the only evidence showing it is not lost property is the waitress who claims an unknown person told her to keep it.

Even if they would have not linked it to drugs it would probably have taken as lost property anyway and she could have filed a claim on it in court after a waiting period.

That is pretty 'acceptable' to me given their are laws about people keeping lost or mislaid property.

18. AA#5

AA#5

19. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

GT LEO's are taking the time to educate and explain the criminal justice system in most threads for people who want to know. You ask a question about a car, sometimes it is nice to hear from a mechanic. You can continue plugging your ears and believing whatever you wish though.

20. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.