VX GAS Heads out of Indiana to Port Aurther, Texas

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by pupcuss27, Aug 10, 2007.

1. pupcuss27

pupcuss27 CLM

August 8, 2007 - 6:33PM

Four new shipments of VX nerve agent residue arrived early this morning at the Veolia plant in Jefferson County.
    Last week a federal judge in Indiana ruled the Army could continue the shipments until he makes a final ruling.
    Environmental activists are suing the Army and Veolia to prevent the residue from coming to Southeast Texas for incineration.
    The plant manager is confident the judge will allow the work to continue.

Four shipments of VX nerve agent residue from Indiana rolled into Port Arthur about four in the morning. They were the first shipments in almost two months.
    Veolia says shipping and destroying the nerve agent residue meets all safety standards.

"We believe that before we signed the contract. We believed it with the first 103 shipments and with the remainder of the loads coming to us," said Plant Manager, Mitch Osborne.

The U.S. Army voluntarily stopped the shipments when environmental activists began raising questions about the safety of the project. Activists used protests, emails and even You Tube to get the word out.

"You read headlines that there's nerve agent coming to Port Arthur and that brings a lot of emotion to the table," said Osborne.

"Apparantly they didn't rule in our favor. Maybe there wasn't enough nerve gas present," said Hilton Kelley, a community activist.

A judge refused an injunction filed by activists to stop the shipments temporarily after throwing out all testimony from activists' expert witnesses.

"My first reaction was disappointment. I was upset with the system. We proved the VX was still present but they didn't take that into consideration," said Kelley.

But Veolia's plant manager says there will always be some of the agent present and the Army has decreased the amount from the required 20 parts per billion to 9 parts per billion.

"VX can continue to roll in. We have to file another injunction or ask the judge to reconsider his decision," said Kelley.

If an appeal is not granted everyone will wait for the case to go to Federal Court.

"We're confident even at that point the outcome will be positive," said Osborne.

And with the shipments coming again, all of the nerve agent residue could be shipped and destroyed long before it's resolved in the courts.

The plant manager says it will take another year to receive the shipments and complete the incineration.

'Local News' Archives

2. rhino465

rhino465

Just a couple of points ...

VX isn't a gas. In its stored form, it's a gooey liquid. When used, it is typically atomized and dispersed as an aerosol (i.e. tiny droplets), that sticks to everything until it degrades over time. You can look at a puddle of it as long as you don't touch it!

The stuff leaving Newport contains negligible (if any) actual VX. It's all the products of the decomposition resulting from the process they do to neutralize it for transport. I doubt if you want to drink, but I am unaware of any acute toxicity.

The former world leaders in VX technology were . . . the Iraqis!!! :hugs:

3. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

That and the containers they ship it an can survive a nuclear blast! (well just about)

4. dwh79

dwh79

Pretty sure thats what I passed running down the highway on a semi earlier this week.

5. meeko

meeko

I remember while working at the Air National guard at Terre Haute The army trucked a small container of VX from Newport to the airport then flew it out on a chopper somewhere for testing. Action 10 news did a story about it and the citizens went CRAZY. The funny thing is they shoud be more concerned about the dozens of trains that run through downtown Terre Haute. If one of those derails it would be bad.. Not to mention some of the semi's on I 70 that pass along day and night.

6. pupcuss27

pupcuss27 CLM

This story had caught my attention not only because it will
    be nice to get the crap out of here and properly disposed of but
    a good buddy of mine lives in Port Aurther, TX where the VX is going.

My attached article above was from their Port Aurther, Texas news.

FYI

7. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04

Heh, that stuff is 30 miles from me (raised in Paris, IL, school and everything else in The Haute). I'm definitely glad to see it on its way out.

8. meeko

meeko

Another funny thing I failed to mention on action 10 news out of Terre Haute. The Newport base had a bunch of media out for a show and tell. The media was like 20 feet or so away filming these containers of VX. The media folks were made to wear protective gas masks. The security guys were right up against the containers facing the media and they were ok with no masks on. That same footage has been shown just about anytime a story about Newport comes up. You have to love the Government.