Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Tread Lightly
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of finally swapping out my Camry. The daily driver, commuter beater has over 225k miles on it. Could well go to 300k, but not sure if I want to be there when it does.

I've always been curious about diesels from several standpoints:

-The fuel is non-explosive…you could easily store 20-30 gallons in jerry jugs in the basement or mower shed for an emergency. Mid east blows up and skyrockets the price of fuel or another oil embargo. A good S&P item. Not explosive like gasoline and a long shelf life.

-high MPG. Mid 40's for the VW diesels.

-no sparkplugs in the ignition sequence. Just compression

-long endurance for the engines.

-with the Passat, a radius of action of over 800 miles. 18.5 gallon fuel tank.

I test drove a Jetta and may go back to drive a Passat.

To those who have had them, drove them, kept them…what was your experience with:

-diesels generally,

-dealing with Volkswagen and its customer service, and their garages, generally,

-cost of VW ownership

-resale satisfaction, recovery of value, desire of buyers for their used products,

-maintenance issues on the diesels, and the cars generally as VW's

-particular headaches if any, known issues.

Reasons you continue to own, would buy again, or even..horror stories, reason you would not buy again.

Breakdown stories, size of the repair network, parts availability, etc

Brain trust is big enough here there must be some user base.

Am considering a purchase, am all ears. For alternatives too if you suggest any.

·
Tactically Epic
13,096 Posts
Ive drove diesel trucks and no thanks id get gas. Diesels suck at dtarting in winter there loud and unresponsive. Gas is quiet and performs well.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Tread Lightly
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive drove diesel trucks and no thanks id get gas. Diesels suck at dtarting in winter there loud and unresponsive. Gas is quiet and performs well.

Yeah this is not about trucks, but the VW passat.

The jetta I drove last night was as quiet as my camry.

There was a small lag but it seemed to be overcome by the turbocharger.

The winter start could be an issue. I think they make a plug in oil pan heater for it.

·
RTF2 Addict
5,433 Posts
My BIL has had 2 Jetta diesels. He was impressed with the mileage. he claims he could stretch it to 52mpg on long non-stop trips with his 5speed. I'm not sure if he really did or not, but he got better mileage than my cars.

The first one ended up with so many issues the dealer bought it back from him and got him in a year newer one. The second one had no issues. He only keeps cars 2 years then writes them off as a business expense and gets another.

·
Devious Member
40,475 Posts
I have yet to have a problem starting my 7.3l diesel in the winter.

For a daily driver I'd have to do the math ... difference in price per gallon of diesel vs. mpg difference between the vw and a similar gasser, and let economics drive my decision.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Do not have the Passat but have owned and driven VW and Mercedes diesels since the early eighties. Current daily driver is an '05 Beetle TDI.

The diesel comes into its own when you have a requirement for long trips.
The fuel is smelly if it gets on you but Harbor Freight gloves cure that.
The maintenance is probably dollar for dollar the same as a gas engine. Granted you have no ignition system with associated hardware but you do have the glow plug system and the same filter requirements (fuel, air etc.). The VW Timing belts are a critical item. The engine is an interference fit. If the belt breaks the pistons will hit the valves $$$. If you can work on cars it is worth it to do it yourself (every 80-100K miles) for about $300 in parts. The dealer will charge approx $1K and not change all the hardware that should be changed.

With that being said I run 5-600 miles per week, change the oil every 10K and the car keeps running. It averages 40 mpg driving it like I stole it. :cool:

·
Tread Lightly
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have yet to have a problem starting my 7.3l diesel in the winter.

For a daily driver I'd have to do the math ... difference in price per gallon of diesel vs. mpg difference between the vw and a similar gasser, and let economics drive my decision.
Well if its down to that then you prob have an above average opinion of the car. Sounding like no different than any other.

On appearance it seems diesel is running 15% above hi test in my area.

I'd have to have mpg above 40 to make it work.

·
Tread Lightly
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The maintenance is probably dollar for dollar the same as a gas engine. Granted you have no ignition system with associated hardware but you do have the glow plug system and the same filter requirements (fuel, air etc.). The VW Timing belts are a critical item. The engine is an interference fit. If the belt breaks the pistons will hit the valves $$$. If you can work on cars it is worth it to do it yourself (every 80-100K miles) for about $300 in parts. The dealer will charge approx $1K and not change all the hardware that should be changed.
This is valuable information.

Unfortunately the timing belts are an issue with all cars.

Except in my case. The Camry I'm in now had a selling point in having a 300,000 mile rated steel self-tensioning timing CHAIN.

I hate 90k rubber bands. These are common in a lot of jap cars including hondas and other toyotas. It's hard to escape these generally.

You'd think for a diesel with its potentially long life that they'd stop this insanity and use a steel timing chain that's good for the expected life of the motor.

The current camry's chain was a big selling point with me and one of the reasons why I've kept it over 200k miles.

·
Banned
1,714 Posts

You drove trucks equipped with American made diesel engines which are crap. The OP is asking about an European made and designed sedan equipped with the TDI, which one of the best diesel engines ever made. There is no comparison whatsoever.

To the OP: the Passat diesel is an awesome car. I owned a Golf equipped with the same engine and never had a single problem with it. The car was a rust bucket but the engine was running like the Energizer bunny. If all the glow plugs are working you shouldn't have any problems starting in cold weather, I owned that car in Romania and winters are quite cold over there. If you can buy one equipped with a manual transmission it's even better.

·
SAF
10,614 Posts
I've been running diesel cars and trucks since 1986. My newest is a 2003 Jetta TDI. The issue that would probably prevent me from buying a new diesel (car or truck) now is the emission controls, EGR and particulate filters specifically.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I drive a 06 Beetle TDi with a DSG gear box and get 43-45 mpg and have had a great experience with it

I have sworn off any 0bama motors products but this Chevy Cruze diesel looks good

time will tell on quality though.

this review is from a guy who is all VW diesel and has a great message board dedicated to such

and you could cut the 'e' off of the Cruze to have a Ted Cruz model :tongueout:

[ame]http://youtu.be/awOTNTw0bhw[/ame]

·
Tactically Epic
13,096 Posts
Ill have to test one automatic trans of course why is diesel more expensive when I was younger ut was like a 60 cents a gallon less

·
Registered
22,200 Posts
Ill have to test one automatic trans of course why is diesel more expensive when I was younger ut was like a 60 cents a gallon less

It is more expensive to produce than when you were younger because of the EPA low sulfur requirements plus some other production/distribution issues.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I talked with a young (26) engineer who works for GM last week. He worked on the cruze diesel, and now works for the corvette performance division.

I questioned him on the new generation diesel engines and he said they are awesome. He said the torque is incredible, they are quiet, clean, more efficient, last longer, better mpg's, etc...

He also said they are not more expensive to maintain. Basically, he was a huge proponent of them and he deals with the science behind it on a daily basis.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts