Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
16,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else think that VW is on the rise in the U.S.?

With the Super Bowl buzz, and the nice pricing on their cars, the sky is the limit now!

That Passat looks nice, and the new Beetle looks interesting...

I just hope the reliability is on par with Toyota and Honda.

Since they will build VWs up in Chattanooga, TN soon, we might buy one in a few years. :wavey:

·
transmogrifier
12,512 Posts

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
I owned 2 Jettas and I LOVED them. My VW ownership experience was without flaw.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've got a Golf (Rabbit in the US) TDi that I'm very happy with.

I'd love a new GTI - they cost nothing in the US compared to over here. I could just about sell my 4 year old TDi and buy a new GTI with the cash in the US..

·
Banned
5,143 Posts
G G G G....Hey.

·
Searching
9,188 Posts
I'd like 'em, but I'm not a chick.

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
The VW CC is a sharp looking car and priced right. Smallish 200HP engine but probably good on gas.

Bolted together in Germany too.

I wonder if the new VWs are more reliable than the old Mexican made ones.

·
Mythmatician
3,083 Posts
I've got a Golf (Rabbit in the US) TDi that I'm very happy with.

I'd love a new GTI - they cost nothing in the US compared to over here. I could just about sell my 4 year old TDi and buy a new GTI with the cash in the US..
In the U.S. we have the Rabbit AND the Golf. The Rabbit is a more entry level car. I almost bought a Rabbit but decided on a 4x4 instead. The 5 cyl Rabbit was one of the nicest small cars I've ever driven. If the dealer hadn't been a jerk to me, it's what I'd be driving now.

·
Rip Lips
7,118 Posts
My first car was a 76 Scirocco, loved that thing. I also had a 97 Jetta GLX with the VR6 engine, probably the best engine I have ever owned, so much fun to drive and was insanely fun on snow and ice, very very good all around car. I like the new Jetta Sport Wagon with the clean diesel as well, but have been toying with the idea of a GTI for a commuter car for a while now.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Only V-dub I ever owned was a '73 Thing, I'd pick up another in a heartbeat as a project car.

beim tanken heizung abstellen, words to live by.:rofl:

·
NRA Member
1,065 Posts
Anyone else think that VW is on the rise in the U.S.?

:
No, they're nice cars but they haven't taken the U.S. by storm and they never will. Volkswagen has it's market, just like every other automaker.

I'd like to see VW put their 50mpg diesel in a CC.

·
bulletproof
1,853 Posts
I'd like 'em, but I'm not a chick.
We have a nice little convertible Cabrio in the driveway. I bought it for my wife's birthday last year. She loves it. When me and my son went to pick it up, he was laughing in the car behind me...I had the top down, he said I looked like a gay circus clown. :aodnsb::pjmn::eek:uttahere:

·
1 Proud Infidel
2,154 Posts
I've got an 04 Jetta TDI. Pretty cool to still get 46-47mpg even with 100K on the odo.

The newer ones are heavier, and produce more power, but the addition of a 6th gear nets out the higher mpg on the highway. I will be purchasing a newer tdi very shortly.

I would absolutely LOVE to get my hands on a GTI, but I know I would mod it for more power, and my 80 mile round trip commute makes the tdi a great vehicle for me.

The CC is one of the prettiest cars on the road IMO. Yeah, it is only 200hp, but a $500 ECU reflash will net you 250hp/300tq. Makes it pretty quick.

Now if VW would just put the 2.0cr TDI in the Tiggy :) a nice 4wd suv that would probably net out around 35mpg :) whats not to like :)

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about getting a Jetta TDI. My BMW is going on 8 years old now.
I *love* mine. It's an '03 bought it new in October '02. I've not had any real problems from it compared to the two new Chevrolets I had.

I ran out of fuel once, about 500 feet from the fuel pump. The fuel gauge was reading wrong. A safety switch went out and I couldn't shift out of park. I had a horrible water leak that I fought with for a couple years and couldn't fix successfully that they finally issued a recall for. (That reminds me, I need to call them about my carpet--the dealer wanted to see if they could get it replaced as it's kinda flat now).

The biggest issue with the car is that it kills batteries. You can park it tonight and come out tomorrow morning and it will be so dead that it won't unlock the doors. The dealer covered that for four years or so then I bought a battery with an excellent replacement policy about three years ago and it's not had to have another one yet which makes me think the VW battery was not adequate.

If you have to call their roadside assistance....they suck. They are idiots and you cannot reason with them. I finally started calling and getting my own rollback lined up then calling RA and telling them who could come get me quickly. Once they left me on the side of the road EIGHT HOURS while they sent me a large engine diesel mechanic from several hours away who told them that although he was a diesel mechanic he had never seen a VW engine before (he worked on heavy equipment such as crawlers and pans) but he would try to figure out how to prime it so it would start again after I ran out of fuel (I know how to do this myself next time) but all he succeeded in doing was killing the battery.

In a nutshell, don't run it out of fuel and be ready to have a few batteries replaced. Good luck dealing with the idiots at RA. Other than that, I would buy another one tomorrow if mine died today.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.