VW Cars Cheated on Emissions Tests

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HalfHazzard, Sep 20, 2015.

1. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-software-circumvented-car-emissions-testing

2. plp

plp

One of those dirty little secrets among those whom own TDI diesels involves a 'temporary' bypass that eliminates one of the additional exhaust devices required to meet emissions standards. When driven in the European mode, the car gets better fuel economy by a bunch, and has more power.

I don't own one, but was hugely impressed when I drove one with over 400k on it and got about 62 mpg. That was a memorable trip, had an 18 wheeler lose a tire, than bounced over the car. I watched it happen in sort of slow motion, wished I could say my steller driving skills saved the day, but was over before I had the first inkling what was happening. It would've messed up that Golf for sure, if it had been a direct hit.

3. janice6

janice6

Damn, lost to the Germans. Wait till we accuse Germany of causing GW.

4. Indian 111

Indian 111

Someone didn't contribute enough to the right party.

tattooo and TX OMFS like this.
  5. janice6

janice6

How about a petition to dissolve Germany.

6. manfred the wonder d

manfred the wonder d

Can't be good for your engine or oil to send exhaust gasses back through the intake. Wish I could divert mine.

7. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

The government is wanting a recall to "repair" those vehicles. If I owned one that had been trouble-free, I certainly wouldn't take it in to be "fixed."

8. OGW

OGW SAF

I know the newer ones have significantly different emissions systems than the one I had (2003 Jetta TDI) until recently, but you're right about EGR being bad news. Particulates are now collected, but I don't know if that's done on exhaust gases before or after recirculation.

On my car, the major potential problem was the intake manifold slowly filling up with oily carbon. First, there was an EGR system to lower NOX emissions (just like on gasoline engines) and then to make it problematic, the crankcase vent system also deposited its mist into the intake. (Direct crankcase venting to atmosphere hasn't been legal in any passenger vehicle for many years.) The combination of fine hydrocarbon particles from the exhaust and the oil mist from the CCV would tend to clog the intake manifold in as little as 60K miles.

A fix was to eliminate the EGR altogether with a "race pipe" and to either vent the crankcase via elephant hose, or to install a filter on the CCV return line back to the intake, which worked very well. An outfit in LA sold the filter kit and it was easy to install. It had a drain, so you could catch the oil (literally less than an ounce per 10K miles) rather than puke it into the atmosphere as an elephant hose would do. A minor computer adjustment to avoid an EGR malfunction code finished the job.

walt cowan likes this.
  9. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

People and Companies will always try to Armstrong the system.

10. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Good job VW, love my TDI.

11. RenoF250

RenoF250

I would like to see what sort of emissions we are really talking about. Many of the EPAs ideas are nocturnal emissions and should be ignored. They claim to be so worried about CO2 but that comes right down to mpg and many of their requirements make mpg lower. What emissions do these devices reduce? NOx, HC? 40 times what? 40 x 0 = 0

12. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Never ceases to amaze me what people wont do for money!

cowboywannabe likes this.
  13. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I saw that on CNBC the other day.

When they asked the expert what the fine might total, it had a really lot of zeros in it.

14. moeman

moeman

stock is down 23%... they admitted its true. Stopped sales of diesels... what a CF.

15. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Here's the "fix."
    It would be very difficult for Volkswagen to add new pollution-control equipment to the existing engines, so the only way to fix this may be to cut horsepower and fuel economy performance to lower the pollution output once the software is eliminated,

No way in hell I'm taking any of my TDIs in for this.

16. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

This will be the hard sell for the EPA. They have to convince a bunch of VW Diesel (a niche group proud of their cars) that their cars are defective and will need a "fix" that will likely make the engine output less power. Good luck.

17. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

It might be mandatory if you take it to VW for servicing. Keep that in mind...

18. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

I knew VW was big but did not know this...

19. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

It wont be hard. They will force the states to implement ECU checks as part of the emissions program. They will get 80% of them that way. No software update, fail emissions.

CO started requiring ECU scans of cars:

"Beginning in the eighth model year, and extending through the eleventh model year, the vehicle inspection process will include an inspection of the On-Board Diagnostics (OBD and OBDII) systems. Instead of a driving test on the dynamometer (the “treadmill” test), vehicles will be “plugged in” to read the codes in their on-board computers."

HalfHazzard likes this.
  20. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

So I am thinking the parachutes will be a more greyish color on this one.

I had to laugh, today on CNBC, an analyst was quoted that he didn't think the $18B fine was realistic as it would likely bankrupt any car company. I had a hard time containing a laugh, what country has he been living in for the last 6 years?