close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

VW anti-gun

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by camelotkid, Jan 20, 2013.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

What do you care about their productivity? They're the owners and they want you to pray. My question is are you OK with that.
    GA for one doesn't require a permit to carry a firearm in your car.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Of course not. They are infringing on my Freedom of Religion, and it has nothing to do with the work.

But the VW plant isn't in Georgia, now, is it?

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Banning guns in POVs has nothing to do with the work, and is infringing your 2A rights in the same manner.

You didn't ask about the VW plant. You asked about CCW. I can have the recorder read it back if you like... ;)

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's on private properties and the owners say that you don't have the right to Second Amendment on their private properties.

Religious beliefs and practices at work also don't fall under the First Amendment either. They fall under Workplace Harassment laws. Neither you nor your employers have the right to cause a hostile workplace environment. So, they can't force you to pray to Allah or God because it's violating workplace environment policy. They infringe upon my First Amendment beliefs which then cause anxiety and ergo, I'm feeling harassed.

Now, if VW representatives were to go about haranguing known gun owning employees, and VW posting policies about employees not being able to own firearms outside of work, then they are also causing a hostile workplace environment and in effect violating the laws.

If VW employees were to think that they're being singled out because they aren't allowed to have guns in their cars on company's properties then they should take VW to court. Good luck with winning that fight.

The thread is about VW plant in Tennessee.

5. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

You've gone off the deep end.

Yes, but I was responding to your question "After all, don't most states require a permit to carry?"

6. badge315

badge315

If an individual's rights aren't absolute, what makes you think that a corporation's "rights" are? I don't see "the right of the Corporation" anywhere in the Constitution...in fact, one could easily argue that corporations possess no rights at all. Their property, their rules, huh? Does that mean that VW can kill every animal on their property and dump toxic waste on it? :upeyes:

Just as our 2A rights are frequently and outrageously infringed upon by government, so too can private property rights by that same government.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Show me a court case that dictates otherwise. Employers ban privately owned guns on their properties all the time.

So...do most states require a permit to carry; open or concealed? Or do most states don't require a permit?

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Aren't corporations owned by groups of individuals?

If they have the proper meat handling permits and hazmat permits, then yes.:upeyes:

So, anybody can come to your house and spout off at the mouth and you can't tell them to GTFO? Muslims can get on your lawn and pray to Mecca, burn Christ in effigy? No problem? Because they have individual First Amendment rights?

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

So you support the right of those employees with CCW permits to keep guns in their POVs at VW?

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I support VW's policy. I may not agree with it, but I support it. If I don't like it, I can always go work somewhere else.

They aren't violating my rights to keep and bear arms. They aren't dictating to me that I can't own firearms and work for the at the same time. They just don't want me to bring my own firearms on their properties.

Just like I don't want some loudmouthed liberals (or religious nuts) coming onto my properties and say whatever they want to say. Or some commando wannabe coming on my property with guns. At least not without my permission to say or carry. If they don't like it, don't come to my joint. It's that simple.

The Constitution is to protect the individuals against the government, not against other individuals.

11. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Yes, we got that. We just disagree in that the employees have a need for employment, so they can't "just go work somewhere else" (times are tough). So if VW infringes on their right to self defense to and from work they are in fact creating that hostile work environment you mentioned before.

Like I said, this is not a simple case, but I'm coming down more and more in favor of the employees.

12. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

What "right?" It is private property. You sound like those libbies who want to force Chic-Fil-A to open on Sundays. HH

13. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Go back to sleep.

14. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Actually, I was wide awake watching fnfalman eat you for lunch. HH

15. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I don't care what or who FN eats or how much you enjoy watching, but I still think you're wrong.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Of course they can go somewhere else. Times are tough but not that tough. I see employment want ads in newspapers all the time.

The employer is not responsible for the employees' private place environment such as commuting to and from work. THe employer is only responsible for workplace environment. Now if the employees were to claim that they may be subjected to danger at work due to possible terrorist attacks or crazed colleagues, then maybe they should sue VW and other corporations that have no guns policy. Let's see how far that'd get.

Unless VW's policy is in contrarian to Tennessee's laws, the employees don't have a chance in Hades.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm like a Great White. I just gnaw on it a bit and then spit it out. He's too tough and doesn't taste like baby seal.

18. badge315

badge315

Corporations are artificial entities that exist because the government allows their creation. Corporations are not "people". If they were, they'd be able to vote...but they can't.

Once again, they can only do those things with the government's permission. Those are not rights.

Of course not. But my private property rights are not absolute...and neither is VW's. If the people of Tennessee wish to implement a law that allows its citizens to store lawfully-owned firearms in their vehicles on their employer's property, I'm good with that; we did it here in Florida. If VW doesn't like it, they can cry me a river. Tennessee's state, Tennessee's rules...right?

While I do favor the exercise of one's rights in general, I'm not about to start crusading for corporate property rights. When my 2A rights are properly respected, maybe then I'll give a damn about the corporate policies of a foreign auto maker who clearly doesn't give a rat's ass about the rights of its employees.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Corporations are still owned and ran by people last I checked unless Skynet already took over. People make corporate policies. People enforce corporate policies, and these policies have to be compliant with Federal and local laws.

Until the People of Tennessee enact said laws, it's tough noogie.

Plenty of good old fashion, red blooded American companies that have no personal firearms in parking lot policies. And the corporations aren't there to pro support your constitutional rights. They're there to provide you a place of employment with policies and procedures that are compliant with governing bodies of law.

20. RGbiker

RGbiker

What I find amusing about VW and BMW's restriction of workers firearms in their U.S. plant parking lot's is..........

Without the Truman inspired Marshal Plan (American Taxpayer funded in the Billions) during the late 1940's, there probably would be no VW or BMW vehicles in this country. Both companies produced war material for the German Military who was successfully killing our service men during WWII and afterward were scheduled to be scrapped or turned over to the Soviets. VW plant was 5 miles from the eastern zone.

Billions of American $$$ went into the rebuilding of Western Germany's industry.

But, I suppose that piece of history doesn't matter anymore to the weenies now in charge at VW and BMW.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013