close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

VW anti-gun

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by camelotkid, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Under Kentucky law, no employer can prevent employees from keeping their gun in their car during work. The University of Kentucky recently lost at the supreme court after they fired an employee for having a gun in his car. As I recall, they found that the law allowing employees to have guns in their cars even controls over the law allowing colleges and universities to ban guns on their property.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. Ragnar

Ragnar

Umm, don't cops carry guns? Or are their guns odorless?

3. Ragnar

Ragnar

4. PSUEng

PSUEng

I used to work at an FTZ in a state with law saying an employer cannot tell you you cannot have a gun in the car. The FTZ was not the parking lot--it was once you went through the gate to the facility and there were signs right at the gate.

5. Z71bill

Z71bill

I heard a commercial for a pest control company - they said they have a dog that can tell if you have bedbugs -

I guess they bring the dog over - let him sniff around .:dunno:

I also heard of a project that trains dogs to sniff for prostate cancer.

I had a stray cat in my yard - my dog chased it - it ran over the south fence -

15 minutes later I let my other dog out - she starts to head over to the north end of the yard - and then flips around and makes an excited run for the exact same spot the cat had jumped the fence.

Dogs have super sniffers.

6. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

+1 Same here in SC. You can keep your loaded pistol in your vehicle glove box without a permit as well.

7. badge315

badge315

And no employer has any business telling its employees what legal personal items they may store inside their locked vehicles.

8. The Fed

The Fed

The gun-sniffing? What if I cleaned my gun thoroughly so there was no residue? I know that's a stretch that you can remove all residue but if you disassemble the gun and soak the parts in bleach it should work. You can use that gun for only work and never fire it unless you need to.

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Or put a few drops of Hoppes and gun oil in "that guy's" car...

Seriously, won't your car still smell like guns after a day in the field?

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

My property, my rules. If people don't like it, they don't have to come.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Unless that vehicle is on the employer's property.

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

What about my "go to church" question?

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If your line of work requires religious attendance as part of the business, then it's legal.

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

How many people here work for oil refineries either as direct employees or subcontractors?

On practically every refinery that I've been to; even ones in the Great Freedom Republic State of Tejas, alcoholic beverages are forbidden even in locked vehicles parked in the refinery's parking lot. Not even empty cans and bottles are tolerated - zero tolerance. Alcoholic drinks are legal to own if one were of age, and can even be legally transported if stored per local laws and regulations. Yet the refineries have made zero tolerance policies pertaining to having alcohol on their premises.

Same with guns.

They're not infringing on your rights to keep and bear arms. They simply don't allow you to bear arms on their properties, even if those arms were locked up inside your vehicles.

15. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

That doesn't make sense, FN. Making cars has nothing to do with guns. Banning guns in the parking lot is an arbitrary decision made by the management which is contrary to a Constitutionally protected right. If one supports that one should also support them banning religious freedom, I think.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Your Bill of Rights protect you from the government, not from private citizens or corporations. You don't have First Amendment rights on GlockTalk, do you?

BMW/VW and a host of other corporate entities aren't telling you that you can't own guns or partake in shooting sports. They simply forbid you from bringing guns onto their properties. Surely it's not that hard to understand?

You have the right to your religious belief and even religious practice at work, but only to a certain degree. You can pray to Allah or Jesus or Buddha, but you don't have the right to proselytize to your co-workers.

As far as going to Bible School or Sunday church, if you were to work as a Bible salesman, your employee can make it mandatory for you to go to Bible School or Sunday church (well, maybe they can't dictate which day to go on unless they pay you to specifically go on that date) even if you are not a Christian. You sell a product, so you better know what that product is about.

17. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I understand that and I agree with you, except for the fact that the state of TN has affirmed the right of workers to keep guns in their POVs, and in many cases the restriction prevents them from being protected while commuting, and thus barring them from employment. Usually I am as pro-property rights as anyone, but as I said, I can see both sides here.

Not at all my point. I was asking if you support a company requiring church attendance as a condition of employment as an absolute, the same way you're supporting this property rights question.

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Then the TN residents need to take VW and other corporations with similar policies to court. But then these people will have to show the court that they are defenseless while commuting back and from work without firearms.

Of course I don't. It's an infringement on my First Amendment. The company is forcing me to change my religious practice when that practice has nothing to do with my work. VW doesn't say that employees can't own guns.

Now if VW were to make it a condition of employment that employees can't own guns at all, or maybe can only own pistols but no revolvers/rifles/shotguns, while these conditions don't have squat to do with work then that's another story.

19. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

So you'd be OK with praying to mecca during the workday if they said so?

Again, I don't see where having a gun in your POV in the parking lot has any effect on work.

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If their five breaks a day don't affect their productivities? Then yes.

If all they do is bow their heads and make their prayers, then yes.

If they were to come up to me and start telling me about if I don't convert then I'd go to hell, then they're not practicing their First Amendment rights any more. They're causing a hostile workplace environment against their fellow employees. Then their asses will get canned.

It may not, but it violates company's policy on having privately owned arms on their properties.

I don't know what to tell you but the court has yet to rule that Americans have the right to bear arms at any and all time and at any and all places.

After all, don't most states require a permit to carry?