VT Church Goes Anti-Gun for One Man Only

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by SCmasterblaster, Jan 19, 2010.

1. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

So, the so-called "Christian" church in White River Junction, Vermont that I no longer attend came out with a "no-guns allowed inside" rule over a year ago, in a state where all non-felon men are free to carry a handgun concealed lawfully. You see, VT and AK do NOT issue concealed carry permits, so in VT any non-felon man or woman can CCW into most any "public" building in VT, including churches.

SO, if my ex-church is applying their anti-gun rule to the PUBLIC, they should put up signs by all of the entrances displaying the church's no-gun policy. If they do not, then they are discriminating against a USN veteran and national shooting champion ONLY.

How did the church KNOW that I CCW? I do not know, but two church officials confronted me about it a week after the rule was enacted. I guess that word gets around abut my VERY concealed G17.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

There are plenty of churches. Go your own way and don't look back.

God already knew you carried a gun, and He never complained, did he?

3. SCmasterblaster

Nope, and I CCW'd for 13 years at my previous church in distant Newport, NH a few klicks from Sturm Ruger!

4. BK63

BK63

If they knew about your ccw and are all talking about it then the criminals that may some day want to attack the place, and it has happened in church's, will walk in without worry because they know nobody will have a gun. Just go some place else.

5. Rescue9

Rescue9

Correct me if I'm wrong, but until they put signs at all the entrances, then they can't ask you not to carry. As you mentioned, this would be discriminatory and possibly illegal.

6. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Churches in Vermont are public buildings? really? strange Everywhere else they are private property.

7. SCmasterblaster

"Public" in that anyone is welcome to enter. It is private property, yes, but they welcome unknown persons to enter.

8. SCmasterblaster

It is actually private property, so there is likely nothing illegal about their rule.

9. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Sorry to hear about your bad news. BTW... AK does issue concealed carry permits. And it's really a shame VT doesn't offer one. It makes it pretty hard for a VT resident to carry in some other states due to no reciprocity.

10. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

My Pastor actively encourages those of us who can carry to do so.

11. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Did you ask as to the reason they made the decision? Sounds like there's more to the story if they knew you carried when you didn't know they knew. There may be a simple misunderstanding that you could clear up if pursued. I'd ask the reasons that led to the change.

12. 2afreedom

2afreedom

Most churches around here are run by a majority vote of the members. Did your church vote on this or was it something a couple of key people decided on their own? Are they allowed to do this under the church bylaws? If you are a member it might be worth your time to find out. I guess for some people it's easier to pretend we are still safe in houses of worship.

13. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

Their house, their rules.

Whether or not they post a sign, if they ask you to leave your gun outside, and you refuse, they can have you arrested for trespassing.

Yes, it's discrimination. You say that as if it were a dirty word. People discriminate all the time. If you don't believe me, check out the caliber corner, or any thread that brings up the letters G, A, and P.

14. magpie maniac

magpie maniac

The Church of the Holy Comforter, the place I'm often found on Sunday mornings, allows firearms. It's kept in a safe on the nightstand. :supergrin:

15. Braden

Braden

Nobody's fault but your own in my opinion.

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Did they tell you not to carry? Would it be illegal for you to continue to carry?

Maybe they can ask you to leave, but maybe they can't legally prevent you from carrying? (I don't know, I'm not a lawyer).

How did they find out you carry? Someone probably saw it. Unless you've been telling people you carry in church, someone probably saw your gun print, or felt it during a hug or brushing into you. Probably some anti-gun suspicious busy body. Such people do exist.

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

We'd need to know more about that, wouldn't we? What are the Vermont laws?

18. 9jeeps

9jeeps

Plus one.

19. WarCry

WarCry

Strangely enough, for a non-religious guy like myself, there was a very disturbing part of this post....

So, not liking guns negates your right to being a Christian? From my Sunday school days long, long ago, I don't recall the 11th Commandment of "Thou Shalt Be Armed at All Times, and Spurn Those Who Are Not."

You disagree with them, fine, but calling their faith into question over this? Really?

20. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

Opposing firearms carry in church should in no way create any question about the Christianity of the church.
    Do you know that for a fact? Perhaps they have had that same talk with others in the church that you don't know about. I don't think it qualifies as discrimination, BTW, to require certain behavior. They have not denied access in any manner.