GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the VP9 being striker fired and the P30 having a hammer da/sa, what are the major differences?

·
Registered
3 Posts
That’s really the only different p30 has a decocker I think both can come with or without safety the guns both feel great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
787 Posts
The VP 9 has an optic ready option. I have both and they seem to shoot the same as far as recoil etc. The trigger and reset on the VP9 are much better. The VP9 has button or paddle mag release. I think the P30 is paddle only.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
VP9 does not have a manual safety,it's Glock like.The VP9 has either paddles or a "B" with the button mag. release.Much more info on line at HK forum or the HK website.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Back in the day, HK had a bit of a reputation that you were lucky they would even sell you one of their fine pistols and if something went wrong it was your fault. As such, someone, years ago, made a parody CS flyer that everyone had a good chuckle over. Everyone remembers it as the 'Because you suck and we hate you' memo.

"An open letter to the gun community from HK’s marketing department: In a world of compromises, some people put the bullets in the magazine backwards…But it doesn’t matter, because our gun is on the cover of the Rainbow Six video games. Look how cool that SEAL coming out of the water looks… If you buy a $2,000 SOCOM, you will be that cool of an operator too. And chicks will dig you.

At HK, we stuck a piston on an AR15, just like a bunch of other companies have done, dating back to about 1969. However ours is better, because we refuse to sell it to civilians. Because you suck, and we hate you.

Our XM8 is the greatest rifle ever developed. It may melt, and it doesn’t fit any accessories known to man, but that is your fault. If you were a real operator, you would love it. Once again, look at Rainbow Six, that G36 sure is cool isn’t it? Yeah, you know you want one.And by the way, check out our new HK45. We decided that humans don’t need to release the magazine with their thumbs. If you were a really manly teutonic operator, you would be able to reach the controls. Plus we’ve fired 100,000,000 rounds through one with zero malfunctions, and that was while it was buried in a lake of molten lava, on the moon. If you don’t believe us, it is because you aren’t a real operator.

By the way, our cheap, mass-produced, stamped sheet metal guns like the G3 and MP5 are the bestest things ever, and totally worth asinine scalpers prices, but note that cheap, mass-produced, stamped sheet metal guns from other countries are commie garbage. Not that it matters, because you’re civilians, so we won’t sell them to you anyway. Because you suck, and we hate you, but we know you’ll be back. We can beat you down like a trailer park wife, but you’ll come back, you always do.

Buy our stuff.

Sincerely

HK Marketing DepartmentHK. Because you suck. And we hate you."

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have had professional,quality help on the few times I have called HK. They make a very good product and I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back in the day, HK had a bit of a reputation that you were lucky they would even sell you one of their fine pistols and if something went wrong it was your fault. As such, someone, years ago, made a parody CS flyer that everyone had a good chuckle over. Everyone remembers it as the 'Because you suck and we hate you' memo.

"An open letter to the gun community from HK’s marketing department: In a world of compromises, some people put the bullets in the magazine backwards…But it doesn’t matter, because our gun is on the cover of the Rainbow Six video games. Look how cool that SEAL coming out of the water looks… If you buy a $2,000 SOCOM, you will be that cool of an operator too. And chicks will dig you.

At HK, we stuck a piston on an AR15, just like a bunch of other companies have done, dating back to about 1969. However ours is better, because we refuse to sell it to civilians. Because you suck, and we hate you.

Our XM8 is the greatest rifle ever developed. It may melt, and it doesn’t fit any accessories known to man, but that is your fault. If you were a real operator, you would love it. Once again, look at Rainbow Six, that G36 sure is cool isn’t it? Yeah, you know you want one.And by the way, check out our new HK45. We decided that humans don’t need to release the magazine with their thumbs. If you were a really manly teutonic operator, you would be able to reach the controls. Plus we’ve fired 100,000,000 rounds through one with zero malfunctions, and that was while it was buried in a lake of molten lava, on the moon. If you don’t believe us, it is because you aren’t a real operator.

By the way, our cheap, mass-produced, stamped sheet metal guns like the G3 and MP5 are the bestest things ever, and totally worth asinine scalpers prices, but note that cheap, mass-produced, stamped sheet metal guns from other countries are commie garbage. Not that it matters, because you’re civilians, so we won’t sell them to you anyway. Because you suck, and we hate you, but we know you’ll be back. We can beat you down like a trailer park wife, but you’ll come back, you always do.

Buy our stuff.

Sincerely

I own a VP9 and plan to buy more HKs in the future, but that's hilarious. Seems like Glock kinda took their place as "the best" though, haven't they?

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I own a VP9 and plan to buy more HKs in the future, but that's hilarious. Seems like Glock kinda took their place as "the best" though, haven't they?
Well, 'best' is always subjective of course. I like Glock quite well but I no longer carry one. All of them are in a HD role. I'd say they're the best at 'creative marketing', lol. And they've had their share of major issues over the years. So I'd say they have a very solid rep, but some of it was purchased.

If I were going to carry a double-stack sub-compact I'd choose the P30sk over the G26...and I really like the G26. I was kinda Jonesing for a G23 when the Gen 5's come out but since I got my USPc and have it set up for 9mm, 40 S&W and 357sig the desire for the G23.5 has completely gone out the window. The Glock is great..but it isn't an HK.

:)

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
HK does make some nice stuff, but I'm not a fan of the paddle mag release and $40 mags. Also, up until recent years HK was way too expensive.

Detail stripping a VP9. Make sure you have an hour to watch it.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
The VP9 is hydrophobic. The Military Arms channel confirmed this.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOu5ZGfgtVk&ab_channel=MilitaryArmsChannel
Yeah but that have another video that it does just fine. Also those tests are pretty dumb IMO. There is a channel where a guy has something like 14,000 rounds in it and has had very little issues.
I like Tim and his MAC, but this video left me scratching my head a bit when I originally watched it. I remember when it came out my buddy and I were watching it on a break at work. Everything started out fine. It's possible a pistol could get dropped in muddy water, sand, dirt, snow etc. Not like it's a daily occurrence but sure, it could happen during the odd scenario. I think the video went off the rails when he started chucking it at the log and metal targets and up in the air over and over and over again. That's not realistic. Sure, a pistol can be dropped on the road, sidewalk, concrete etc. But it's not going to get dropped repeatedly a dozen or more times in a single scenario.

There was another video that was a rebuttal to MAC's test.

Apparently the VP9 has maritime spring cups? Perhaps someone can verify that.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Not an expert but I own several of each. Differences from my experience:

-VP is striker fired - P30 is hammer fired
-P30 light LEM requires no thumb safety or decocker but trigger is vastly different from VP. I attended some HK specific training to learn proper use of the LEM trigger. It has a long takeup which “preps” the hammer, firm wall followed by excellent pull which is fairly light (5-7#). After a single day of training on the LEM trigger I was able to use it effectively and on day 2 we stretched it out up to 100 yds. on 18” steel. Nothing special about me-every shooter in the class made this so i attribute their success to the excellent instruction we received.
-Ergonomics of both are similar regarding grip design and customization

Given all that, I find I am more consistent with my VP’s. They point naturally (for me) and the trigger is just “easy”. I believe the LEM trigger is best with some training and lots of practice and if selected for primary use, I would want to train with it consistently (only) due to its particular requirements.

Reholstering with hammer allows one to put thumb on hammer as a secondary prevention against ND. Striker pistols always go bang with trigger press whether shooting or holstering......

Haven’t taken either of them swimming yet.....

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

Buy our stuff.

Sincerely

haha! That’s awesome!
Sounds like HK alright.
Lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
I own a couple of striker fired Sigs... a P365 and a P365XL. I truly like them, but... I chose the P30 because it's a hammer fired double action gun. Having carried DAO revolvers for years...I like that long first pull of my P30. I have a split second to change my mind on whether I want to take the shot or not. It's something I'm comfortable with. I'm currently in the hunt for a P30SKS v3 so my carry guns will have the same equipment.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts