VP9 or USP

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by wiss87, Aug 11, 2020.

1. wiss87

wiss87

I have recently gone on a pistol purchasing frenzy. I sold a bunch of stuff I wasn't using and invested in my first HK, and second, and third, and fourth. About a month ago, my first purchase
    Was a P30L and at the LGS they had the P30 as well! I couldn't decide which to get so I bought both (I got a really good deal, I got both for only $200 more than the listed price of the 30L). I loved both guns. I then wanted to get a .45 so I purchased a HK45c, which is also amazing! The VP9 is was next. I like the VP9, but I kind of wish I had gone with a USP 9 full size instead.

Are there any reliability/durability differences between the P series and VP9 and USP? Basically is the VP9 less durable than the USP? Same for P series vs. USP? I have read elsewhere the USP is top dog of these pistols (mark 23 is better?). I'm not looking at torture testing unless that involves ridiculous high round counts under normal conditions.

2. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

USP is somewhat higher quality but unless you plan on shooting a 100k rounds through them I would not worry about it.
    To me the the VP9 seems the least quality of those that you have listed, hard to beat the quality and durability of the USP in the HK lineup.

wiss87 and Deputydave like this.

3. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

The VP9 is HK’s version of the Glock. So it’s a good pistol with a long service life and nice features. The USP was designed specifically for the 40 S&W so it’s a tank. As a 9mm it should last well into the Mad Max era. The big difference is striker-fired or hammer-fired. My preference is hammer-fired and all my HK’s are of that type but the question is what do you prefer?

DonGlock26 likes this.
  4. wiss87

wiss87

Thank you for the reply. The USP is higher than the P series as well? I have heard this, but also that the P series is the newest version of USP.

5. wiss87

wiss87

I prefer hammer, but I like striker as well! Might sell the VP9 and grab a USP.

Deputydave likes this.
  6. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

I'll toss this out for your consideration if it may be of interest. The USP lower is the same whether it's a 9mm or 40S&W. I got a USPc in 9mm, purchased a complete 40 S&W upper and then purchased a 357sig barrel through RCM to create a platform that is a 3-in-1 pistol. If you're only interested in sticking with 9mm then it may not be of interest. However, I wanted to let you know what was possible should you get a USP or USPc.

7. wiss87

wiss87

That's cool, I wasn't aware they could Frankenstein like that. It's be cooler if I could do 9mm and 45acp

Deputydave likes this.
  8. Villuj_idiot

Villuj_idiot

I did the same with the VP9, bought a complete VP40 slide and some VP40 magazines, and had a two caliber pistol. I haven't tried a .357 drop-in barrel on the VP40 slide, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Deputydave and wiss87 like this.
  9. Crang

Crang

I shoot 45 Super through my USP 45 ACP with no modifications other than a heavier recoil spring. The USP is less ergonomic but its an absolute beast.

wiss87 likes this.
  10. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

I have many HK models and even duplicates of some (P30L). I've seen quite a few posts that the USP series is "higher quality than....". I have yet to see any post that articulates why.

Speaking of the P30, check this well-known story out: http://pistol-training.com/archives/2668

benben and wiss87 like this.
  11. wiss87

wiss87

What do you like about the P30L over the regular P30?

12. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

I’ve always liked full sized pistols. The P30L is my EDC and I don’t have any issues with concealing it.

kahrcarrier likes this.
  13. wiss87

wiss87

What holster do you use for concealing? Did you have any FTF/FTE during "break in"?

14. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

I use a Kydex pancake style from Raven Concealment. Zero break in issues. I have over 30,000 rounds through my carry one. I have one I haven’t shot in the safe NIB

15. wiss87

wiss87

30k, nice!

Green Dragoon likes this.
  16. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

Yeah. I use it for IDPA too although I use a 1911 as well.

wiss87 likes this.
  17. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

I like the USP line, have little experience with their striker fired guns.

18. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

I prefer the USP.
    Hammer rather than striker.
    Also prefer the more blockish grip profile of the USP rather than the rounded P30 HK 45 and VP 9.

Deputydave and wiss87 like this.
  19. wiss87

wiss87

Would you say the grip of the USP is similar to that of the Glock 17? I really like how the full size glock grip fits in my hand. Or the HK45c-- that fits great too. I have large hands and sometimes like the block grip

20. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

I would say it is and the USP fits better around the frontstrap. The USP is easier for me to get the proper trigger finger placement compared to the Glock.

The blockish flat profile fits securely and consistently good support with lower thumb and backward pressure from my griping fingers.
    No need for crush grip push pull or other active methods.
    Rounded grips characteristic is when gripping the form is not as constraining so more variation in barrel alignment. Possible to get the right barrel alignment but with the rounded profile but the block style has better definition in shape.
    That is my opinion others will not agree.
    Try for yourself before buying.

wiss87 likes this.