close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vote Like Your Lady Parts Depend on it - Obama

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by redbaron007, Oct 2, 2012.

1. jp3975

jp3975

You would think Christians wouldnt mind abortion so much. Think of all the souls spared the fate of burning in Hell.

2. F350

F350

Ya; and have it opened when you hand it to me!!!

3. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Both sides make gross generalizations. Like the one you just made.

I'm a biologist and I don't believe that life begins at conception.

There is no brain activity until 40ish days after conception. So I defer to the philosophy:

"I think, therefore I am." ~Descartes

Life starts when you think your first thought IMO.

The really amusing thing here is: Making abortion illegal is like creating a gun free zone. If somebody wants to do it, it's going to happen. Protestant women in early America used to dump illegitimate newborns in the trash piles and toilet holes to avoid judgment from the community. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10297561

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  4. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

If you are using the same definition for life that you assign to Escherichia coli then yes.

Since humans are a more complicated species than arguably any other on the planet, I think we deserve a more evolved definition of life.

5. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

So give life the benefit of the doubt? There are alternatives to abortion. Every soul deserves a chance.

6. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

As you know, when it comes to humans there are four main schools of thought on this. There is the neurological view, which it sounds like you are espousing, that says "personhood" (if not actual human life) begins with brainwave activity, then there is the embryologic view, which holds that life begins with gastrulation at about 14-17 days after conception. There is also the genetic view, which holds that human life starts at conception when a novel genome is created, and rounding the field out is the at-or-near-birth view which goes by the standard of viability outside the womb.

While you may privately hold that the neurological view is the correct one (please correct me if I am wrong on your beliefs here), there is no denying that a great many biologists, geneticists and doctors hold with the other schools of thought, especially the genetic and embryological schools. There is simply too much congressional testimony, white papers and published research from leading experts in these disciplines to deny that such is the case.

As I have said, it is a very split field, and I'm not attempting to state which school of thought is "right". Hell, the scientists themselves don't agree on it, but to argue as kalashnikev did that NO scientists believe human life starts at conception is simply wrong.

7. podwich

podwich

Vote like your economic livelihood depended on it...because it kinda does.

8. GAFinch

GAFinch

Not true. Religious hospitals and clinics can choose not to offer abortions.

Abortion as a cost-saving plan for society is a fallacy since 1 million legal immigrants and 1-2 million illegal immigrants are brought into this country each year to make up for the low birth rate of our native citizens. While immigration is supposed to be focused on bringing in somewhat qualified people, nowadays only 1% of legal immigrant applications are denied due to lack of potential self-sustainability.

9. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

So you advocate stealing my money to pay for some else to murder children? That what the debate is about.

10. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

But how can you expect anyone to consider your measured and reasoned responses credible without any "rolley eyes" or "rolling on the floor laughing" emoticons? Are you new at this?

11. gotin

gotin

For some reason everybody likes banning things. How about offering incentives to keep the babies if that is the big deal?
    If those women are offered prenatal care and then families that will adopt the child, I'm sure many will chose to do it.
    And since when bans work? How many women died or got hurt during illegal abortions before they were legalized?
    BTW, I'd rather pay for condoms or abortions than house the unwanted child in various juvenile and adult correction facilities. Because that's where most of these kids will end up if they are born.

12. Angry Fist

These ho's are trying to keep it tight. Life goes downhill if they fail. Occupational hazards.

13. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

I do not believe abortion is moral, but it's a dead issue.

The Supreme Court created the right of a woman to have an abortion and banned states from preventing it. There is no appeal, it's over.

Pro life groups should lobby, march and provide education to try and convince woman not to have one, but as far as banning abortion it's a dead issue.

Let's move on.

14. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

I don't know of any esteemed or credible ones personaly, but i'm sure you will find some out there. In my field we call them outliers :tongueout:. But seriously, yes there are some out there.

However, I don't see you jumping on the generalization that Kalishnikev was quoting.

15. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Would it be crazy of me to think that souls, if they exist, don't occur until a human is old enough to think?

Whats the point of having a soul if you can't think.

16. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Yes. it's called an EEG. It measures brain activity.

17. Angry Fist

Just needs a little time.

18. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

At least we are not debating on whether or not viruses are alive.

19. Angry Fist

I'm sure viruses don't think, but have a hell of an impact on those who do. Ain't life funny? :cheers:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  20. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

:rofl:true. They have impacted society more than get credit for.

Interesting correlation, and further thread derail, near passing of comets and outbreaks of plague, coincidence or evidence of panspermia?