Vortex optics?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by mntrpr, Aug 9, 2015.

1. mntrpr

mntrpr

anyone have experience with Vortex brand optics? I am looking at alternatives to Eotech & Aimpoint. Or do I get what I pay for as far as red dots?

2. marineops2003

marineops2003

Believe it or not Vortex makes some very good products. If I didn't purchase a Aimpoint or Eotech it would be a Vortex Reddot.

3. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I have a Vortex Spitfire II on my M4 and for the $350 that I paid for it I'm very happy with it. Wouldn't hesitate to get another.

4. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I love vortex optics and have three of them.

I hate red dots, haven't found one yet I really love. I much prefer low power scopes like the Vortex 1.5-4x32 or the Busnell 1-4.

5. bccop

bccop

I have a Vortex Sparc II on a CZ-858 and a Vortex Viper 1-4x24 on my personal AR-15. I have had zero issues with them and would not hesitate to use them on a duty firearm if I had to. My work provides an Aimpoint Micro for my duty rifle. Even though I haven't had any issues I have heard great things about Vortex's unlimited lifetime warranty.

The Strike Eagle 1-6 looks interesting but I can't justify buying another scope just for another 2X when the Viper works fine.

6. collim1

collim1

I personally would not choose Vortex over Aimpoint or EOtech, however their reputation was hard earned.

For a play gun sure, why not?

Wil Ufgood likes this.
  7. yz9890

yz9890

My brand new Vortex Viper PST 1-4 broke on Friday (or came to me broken). The reticle rotated counter clockwise with less than 30rds of 5.56 under it.
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1439160304.720407.jpg
    Their customer service and warranty are great though. I had a first gen StrikeFire for a while and it was great. Not an Aimpoint, Eotech, etc by any means but still very solid and reliable at 1/4 the price.

8. Top_Shot_31

Top_Shot_31

I have a Sparc II on my AR. It does 80% of what an Aimpoint will do at 1/4 the price.

FWIW, they have an unconditional lifetime warranty. I really like it, it's a nice little red dot.

9. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I had a sparc 2 on my rifle for patrol rifle instructor school. During the 4 day class, the batteries completely died on day 2. On days 3 and 4 something internal had come loose because I would fire and the red dot would shut off, then a few rounds later it would come back on.

I called their customer service, they offered to replace it and I (honestly) politely declined and said there's just no way I could ever trust this product on a patrol rifle. They agreed to give me a full refund, I used that to buy an aim point PRO.

I've heard good things about their magnified glass, but for me I'll never put a vortex red dot on a fighting rifle again.

ETA - keep an eye on palmetto state armory, they have somewhat regular sales on aim point. I think I paid $300 for my PRO. For $100 more than my sparc2, I now have a rock solid optic that's been around awhile and has a great reputation.

10. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

No way. Not on a work gun.

11. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I had Vortex glass on my rifle at SWAT sniper school. It was a pretty brutal school and punishing on equipment. It performed flawlessly.

12. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

The only optic I would trust besides Aimpoint or Eotech would be a Trijicon.

13. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I was planning on buying a Vortex HS-T, for a sniper system. Their customer service and overall bang for buck seem unbeatable.

14. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Same here, except I'm looking at the Vortex Razor red dot for my upcoming SBR build.

15. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

I have a Strikefire II on my work rifle. I've put a couple hundred rounds thru the rifle with it on there without any issues. I couldn't see spending the cash on a Aimpoint or a Trijicon on a rifle that spends a lot of time in the trunk. Their warranty was a nice selling point for me too.

Cochese likes this.
  16. mntrpr

mntrpr

It sounds like there is a wide array of experiences some great, others not so much with the Vortex stuff. I ended up getting an Aimpoint Comp M3 on the cheap. I think that will last a while for the project gun it is on. I'll post some pics later, I'm actually excited for this build! This will end up as part of my family "bug out" setup.

Thanks everyone for the input and sharing your experiences.

FiremanMike and Cochese like this.
  17. Armchair

Armchair

Just bought a Vortex 10X50 binocular. Kicks butt for under $200.

18. Schaffer

Schaffer

Aimpoint pro's can be had for 4 bills....

19. COLOSHOOTR

COLOSHOOTR

I'd only use a Vortex Razor line optic in a professional capacity otherwise stick with Aimpoint / EoTech. The Razor line is on a whole different level than most of the rest of the Vortex stuff and is up there with the higher end glass out there.

The rest, even the PST line, while being nice optics for the money they do not belong on a work rifle no matter if it's a non-magnified red dot for a carbine or a magnified optic for a sniper/DMR system. My personal favorite patrol optic is the EoTech because I feel it is the best reticle for a city copper like myself where most engagements, even with long guns, are fairly short range but still can be used in longer range / precision engagements just as well.

20. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

Vortex has their US HQ near where I work.

According to my co-workers that have dealt with them, they are very good with public safety workers and military members getting discounts. They also take back their stuff and refund your money pronto if their gear doesn't meet the customer's needs,

That said, most of my co-workers that have optical sights, have eotech or aimpoint. We can not use magnified sights. However, there are more than a few vortex magnifiers mounted behind those eotechs or aimpoints, on a swing away mount. The co-workers with those set-ups say the Vortex magnifiers work very nicely.