close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Volunteers in Police Service, confused

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by engine101, Feb 12, 2010.

1. engine101

engine101

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. farley45

farley45

You could always ask them why...

3. Adjuster

Adjuster

Not to offend because I don't know you. You have a quirky personality?, you rubbed someone the wrong way?, you come across as a over eager nut job?. Somebody black balled you for some reason. Does anyone at the service your applying for know you or used to work with you?

4. happy seal

happy seal

They turned you down because of your lack of experience on GT! Duh! :wavey:

5. engine101

engine101

When I applied I had just moved to the city and I didnt know anyone there personally. A PO interviewed me to find out if I would get along with other cops. In past years I was a volunteer EMT and FF and worked along with cops so can not imagine that would be the reason. And again its volunteer why would personality make much difference. I recall most volunteers have a different personality since it makes them unique.

6. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I dont know you so this may or may not apply to you but people need to learn 4 sets of rules if they want to succeed in life, or at the least understand things and get a fair bit of what they want...

Set of rules number 1.

Newton's Three Laws of Motion.

If you can learn those thre most basic and irrefutable laws of science, and what they really mean, you can not be fooled by the physical world. It is the worlds best "BS" meter. It is one of the most powerful tools a person can have in their arsenal. To an extent it gives you a basic instant understanding of reality.

Set of rules number 2.

The "dont take it personally" rules.

No one really cares about you.

Of course friends and family *may* but no one outside of that is ever spending much if any effort on you. This is most obvious with people who think" everyone is out to get them"....get in your car and drive out in the middle of nowhere without telling anyone. Again, outside of close friends and family and maybe your boss....no one cares. You had the freedom to go and there you are. No one cares. When someone tells you something you dont like or hurts (again outside of those few close people)....you carry it with you for a very long time. They stop thinking about it within moments.

Set of rules 3.

You and all your skills are not worth very much next to being liked and knowing the right people.

Many people just never seem to get this. People want to be around people they like and know. Being likable is far more important than being "good" To illustrate this point, while it is true, there are not many "dumb" rich people....there are plenty of very smart poor people.

Personality counts more. Knowing the right people counts more as well.

This set of rules also includes the old saying "It isnt everyone else...it is you..." If you are so "great" and things are not working out for you.......you need to change something, most often it is your personality...but you are too stuck on just how "good" you are. Again, that proves the point, doesnt it?

And Rule 4.

The people with the most reasonable expectations tend to be the happiest. This is a more modern version of "The richest people are those who are happy with what they have..."

If you are resonable with all things, including yourself, life will not let you down very often and your expectation will often be met. How cool is that?

7. farley45

farley45

Personality always makes a difference. Whether you are a volunteer or an unpaid intern with an agency, if you have a personality that they don't like you will not be there.

So, perhaps it was your attitude about being a volunteer that they didn't like. Maybe they thought you really didn't care about the position and they wanted to go with someone who did:dunno:

I wasn't trying to be rude or anything with my previous post, but rather than speculating as to why they didn't take you the only way to really know why is call them up and ask them. I'm sure they will give you an answer as to why you were not selected, and hopefully that will give you something real and known to work on for the next time you are in this situation.

8. engine101

engine101

Dude are you like bored or some thing? Thats a novel of good stuff but I dont see it applying to me. ITS VOLUNTEER no income got it? Maybe PD volley roles have stricter criteria if so great. Say that. Don't give me 4 rules to life. Sorry don't mean to knock you but Ive been around, I see all the problems with sheep these days.

When tens of thousands of drivers at 9am on the ramp to get on the interstate dont relize the metered red light has turned off and they still continue to stop at the line and wait on green. This should be a sign of who is awake and who remains sleeping.

9. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

You wrote previously that you're employed. Riddle me this: How would you feel if someone came to your place of employment and told your boss that they'd do your job for free? Probably wouldn't like it would you? That's exactly what volunteers do. Many workers in LE, both sworn and non-sworn are members of collective bargaining groups. Volunteers wind up doing work that would be done by a paid employee. I wouldn't doubt that your volunteerism has been questioned by collective bargaining employees/shop stewards as being used to take away the job of a paid employee or to do work of said paid employee.

My agency utilizes a few volunteers for mundane tasks like report filing, Live Scan fingerprinting, shredding papers etc. But the minute that the Chief wants to use a volunteer to work our Records Dept and do all tasks that our paid Records Clerk does, that's when we draw the line.

10. Rabbi

...I think it is obvious why they passed on you.

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I thought his advice was spot on, and I am beginning to see why you might get passed over. The thuth is, you think you're super special - and you're not. Only a select few of us are (special) at any given time, to others than family members.

How about you just apply for a full time LE job and quit yer bellyaching already?

'Drew

12. deadday

deadday

Keep in mind that some agencies toss applications every X many months so you need to reapply....why not go talk to the Dept. Brass or PAO and find out what is happening?

13. Adjuster

Adjuster

LOL now we have our answer.

14. Jay S.

Jay S.

Wow. No, you are absolutely right. It could not possibly be your personality.:crazy:

15. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Whackervision.

16. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Yep. Looking unanimous to me.

17. Rabbi

If nothing else, we might be able to have a (set) rule number 5.

The system often works.

18. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

That's a pretty astute observation.

I would add to that the Three Basic Laws of Thermodynamics and not much in the physical world is going to fool you.

Off topic I know but I think the preceding posts pretty well covered the OP topic.

19. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
  20. Steve0853

Steve0853

OP.....I applaud your perceptiveness.....You immediately picked up on the fact that Rabbi was dissing you with second rate advice.

Its a known fact that he saves his first quality advice for GT'ers who have at least 1000 posts or more.

Even a blind man could see that any PD should be ecstatic over having the chance of a high skill volunteer such as you...... there's no way you are doing anything wrong.

Something is just screwy with that PD.....Either they're discriminating against you illegally or they are some kind of homophobes or something.

Just give it a while and try again. Maybe someone with some sense will be in charge by then.