Volquartsen Ruger MK IV receiver w/shortened barrel

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by DrewBone, Jun 6, 2020.

1. DrewBone

DrewBone

I recently ordered and received in one of the Volquartsen Ruger Mark IV receivers with the barrel shortened to 3.5", threaded, w/thread protector, reinstalled front sight, tritium adjustable rear sight, and even the matching serial numbered box that the original pistol came in.

It looks like after the machining is completed they Cerakote the assembly black; the tapered rubber cone was still in the chamber and the top rail filler screw just behind the ejection port was screwed in too far which was preventing the bolt assembly from passing that point, but neither was any problem; the rubber cone popped right out and I was planning on using purple Loctite on the filler screws anyway...I'm just glad I could locate my small allen keys.

Still all in all a very good deal for $140 shipped.

Volquartsen Clearance page...

It looks factory atop my Mark IV 22/45 frame, and will hopefully work well when the Dead Air Mask gets out of jail...
    20200606_150356.jpg
    20200606_150327.jpg
    20200606_151035.jpg
    20200606_151149.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    pag23, gamecocks, mj9mm and 8 others like this.
  2. unit1069

unit1069

Very nice!

Everybody should have a nice .22lr pistol. Yours looks extremely nice. I'm sure with the Volquartzen setup it shoots as nice as it looks.

DrewBone likes this.

3. porschedog

porschedog

Very nice. I’m very tempted to get the same setup for my Mk IV

DrewBone likes this.
  4. DrewBone

DrewBone

Thanks! I've never been much into .22 anything, but since I have some time to wait on the suppressor approval I figured that I might as well acquire a number of .22 hosts, hoping that the variety will make the experience more enjoyable :D

5. DrewBone

DrewBone

Thank you!

When I first started looking for suppressor hosts I'd handled the 5.5" barreled MARK IV target and thought that it was a bit heavy (I've got bad RA and weak joints) and would only get heavier with the suppressor added, so I didn't purchase that model Ruger. Then when I happened upon this offering from Volquartsen, having missed similar configurations by a hair in the past I just couldn't pass it up, even though it required an FFL transfer. But geez, only $140 delivered clinched the deal for me!

The weight difference in having 2" of barrel removed may be more psychological than anything, but when I assembed the upper on my MARK IV 22/45 Lite frame it didn't feel too bad, so I have no regrests sofar. It's still Ruger through and through so it should function just fine. Volquartsen offers other similar configurations, so check them out now and every now and again.

After I get some trigger time on it I'll then begin to consider the trigger products that Volquartsen offers that everyone seems to rave about, as I like to find out for myself whether or not I need these things, stubborn as I am ;)

mj9mm likes this.
  6. MNBud

MNBud

DrewBone,I have been following your posts, as I have a Dead Air mask in jail also. Fortunately, my range lets me shoot with it and then it goes back into their safe. I have mounted it on my 22/45 Lite, Taurus TX22 and just recently picked up a Ruger Charger. The Charger with a Fast Fire 3 and the bi-pod attached is a real hoot to shoot.

DrewBone likes this.
  7. DrewBone

DrewBone

Why you...lucky duckling!! My dealer has no such arrangement so I've really been left out in the cold I mean heat awaiting. I hope that both you and I get our approvals soon so we can start burnin' up .22's like it's goin' out of style!

Now about your TX22...how long ago did you purchase it, and have you had any issues with the barrel as far as poor rifling/lead shaving like was the case early on with these pistols? I'd like to get one, but pricing around me has been all over the place and the last few times I was hunting on the internet for one the distributors were "out of stock".

And I guess that's ok because I've accumulated a number of other .22 hosts as I wait, having built a Charger clone and purchased a S&W SW22, Ruger MARK IV 22/45 Lite and the additional receiver-barrel combination above, Beretta 71, Walther PPK/S, and a Ruger SR22. So I'm off to a running start, but the only problem is that the race hasn't yet begun, LOL.

Now of course I will now need something for my suppressor ready 9mm SIG and CZ pistols and my rifle caliber pistols; oh does it ever end ;)

Thanks for your reply :D

8. MNBud

MNBud

I have only had the TX22 for about two months, I had read about the leading issues some of the early pistiols had but for the price I got mine for, I was willing to take the chance. I had watched some video reviews and most were very positive. It certainly has a nice trigger and I'm really not a trigger snob. I was pleased that it came with the suppressor attachment.
    I also have a S&W 22 caliber AR that I'm anxious to try the can on, but I haven't attempted to remove the flash hider/ muzzle brake from that yet.

porschedog likes this.
  9. DrewBone

DrewBone

Thanks for your response 'Bud, I appreciate it! I suppose that one of these days I'll reignite my search for one of the TX22's, and I too was pleased to know that they came with the thread adapter...I had to purchase one for my Walther PPK/S but it was fairly inexpensive. Take care!

10. Bow Commander

Bow Commander

That is a great deal Volquartsen makes excellent barrels. I had an 18" 10/22 barrel that won my local benchrest meets.

11. DrewBone

DrewBone

I've always heard good things about Volquartsen barrels but I've got no experience with them; the barrel on the upper shown is OEM Ruger that has been shortened from 5.5" to 3.5", then threaded, it's muzzle end drilled and tapped for the reattaching the OEM front sight, then it was recrowned, then lastly the whole shebango was Cerakoted and a thread protector added to round it all out. I think that's a lot of work for the money!

I imagine I'll be buying more of their work and products in the future :)

Bow Commander likes this.
  12. arndog123

arndog123

Still a Ruger MKIV newb and was wondering do those uppers work on both a regular MKIV and 22/45 lower?

13. DrewBone

DrewBone

Yessir they do :)

*Edit: ...you have to make sure that the upper/barrel combination Volquartsen is offering is for the specific model grip frame that you intend to mount it to, e.g., the Mark II & III uppers will only work with Mark II & III grip frames, and the Mark IV upper will only work with the Mark IV grip frame. The introduction of the Mark IV model saw a redesign of how the upper fits to the grip frame; the Mark IV upper now attaches to and pivots down on a round pin on the front of the grip frame, whereas the Mark II & III uppers were placed on their respective grip frame then slid rearward to mate them together.

Mark II grip frame:
    [​IMG]
    Mark IV grip frame:
    Mark-4-A_B.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  14. arndog123

arndog123

Thanks for the info!