close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vizsla

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Kentdale, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Kentdale

Kentdale

I have a new Vizsla. He shows great hunting instincts but is virtually untrainable. Help

2. Kentdale

Kentdale

I have no idea if this pic will post

3. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Kentdale,
    What kind of trouble are you having?
    Cute pic, whats up with the right eye?

4. Kentdale

Kentdale

His eyes are fine...I think he was just waking up. He is just so hard to train compaired to my old dog ...a golden retriever. He just doesn't take to commands and is so argumentative...

5. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Ummm was your GR 7weeks old when you trained him??
    At this age they have about a 3min attention span.....
    What commands are you trying to teach him?

Try food rewards

6. Kentdale

Kentdale

He is about 6 months now and food works sometimes....but he has so much more energy than my wife and I combined. I think I lost 30 pounds since I got him. He is just bullheaded...if you know what that means.

7. Kentdale

Kentdale

How do you like that G20? I have been thinking about getting myself one for Christmas.

8. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

;z Oh yeah I know what that means, I own a pit bull chow mix ;Q
    If I wasn't a trainer he woulda never saw his second birthday;)
    Ok try keeping him on the leash in the house when you are home and tie the other end to you or the wife. Dogs like this are super high energy and very dominant. Tying the leash to you will strip his dominance in about 2-3 weeks. 6months is old enough to get serious with his training.

About the G20, best gun I have ever owned and after 3 years of it I really can't see myself carrying anything but a 10mm. I have both the 20 and the 29 and Springer Mil-spec and the Mil-spec just collects dust. For me its about the power of the 10mm, there is nothing like it and can't be explained. You just got to shoot one a couple of times and you'll be hooked.;f

9. Kentdale

Kentdale

You are a trainer? I thought about leashing him in the house....but thought it would be a pain in the ***. I tend to walk him off the leash a lot so he can burn some energy but I see the problems with that.

And I can legally hunt deer here with a 10MM and my ........357 doesn't shoot so good.

10. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Yep I'm a trainer,
    I do in home training for folks that have all kinds of issues. Check my "ask a trainer thread" here in the critter corner.
    Yeah leashing him in the house is a large pain until he gets used to it and realizes everytime you get up, he gets up. But it works wonders on everything from housebreaking to behavior problems and I would never try to train a dog with it. With the leash on you win everytime cause the you have stacked the odds and you are ready and in position to correct him at any moment. Try it, it works!:)
    Walking him off leash is ok to burnoff the energy as long as its safe to do so.

How does this sound a 220gr lead projectile hitting speeds of 1300 @ the muzzle from a 6inch barreled G20?
    ;z ;f

11. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

12. Kentdale

Kentdale

I am for sure going to leash him in the house now....because he thinks many parts of a Christmas tree are edible...lmao...But I do think he will be a great bird dog when I get him birded. I birded my old dog at 6 months but back then I had no neighbors so I could keep penned birds in my yard. Now my neighbors would whine about that and you never know about potential PETA people. MY dog points flys with the best of them....lmao...

And I think I may go rent a G20 and see if it shoots as well as my 17 and 23 do

13. Kentdale

Kentdale

good looking pup

14. Kentdale

Kentdale

hope this pic shows

15. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

He is awesome looking KD. Beautiful dog, I have never had the opportunity to work with bird dogs. Here in Florida I guess not many people use them?
    Absolutely get him working as soon as is feasible. This will tone him down in the house a bunch.

If you can, absolutely go rent a G20, not many retailers carry them and ammo is scarce unless you order off the net. If you can in fact rent one, the off the shelf ammo is severely watered down. Blazers for instance are about 100fps faster than the .40 rounds IIRC. ;Q
    Call McNett at DT ammo and get some of his stuff if you don't reload and I promise that 17 and 23 will begin to collect lots of dust bunnnies. ;f

16. Kentdale

Kentdale

next post I will try to find a good pic of my old bird dog.....he was awesome

17. Kentdale

Kentdale

18. Kentdale

Kentdale

almost makes me cry just to look at him.....he was a good dog....

19. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Now thats a mans dog!!! ;) ;f
    I hear ya. One thing training has taught me is they are ALL good dogs and it hurts when they go. ;w ;Y

20. Kentdale

Kentdale

I had pics of him with his first wild pheasants but I can't find them......In Duke's younger years he was an awesome bird dog/.