Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
31,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Skip to 18:00 for the vitamin D paper. Claiming 10x more likely to die (p<.001) if vitamin D is low compared to normal, even accounting for all other factors. That's astounding, but there has been evidence for a long time that D reduces resp. infections significantly.

I know the COVID-19 case numbers are all over the place depending on testing and whatnot but it would be interesting to try to correlate general vitamin D levels of populations with their case numbers. I believe this is one of the more significant reasons for geographical disparities in cases, worldwide.

View: https://youtu.be/K-mHCn74E5o?t=1079

·
Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking
2,784 Posts
Informative video, thanks!
Working in the garden will help provide all the Vitamin D I need, as the old saying goes, What are the 2 things your garden needs to see each day?
Your shadow.

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

·
Registered
31,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm taking a minimal supplement right now (125% of daily requirement) and am thinking of doubling it.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I have been taking 2000 units since moving to Washington. I think it helps with seasonal depression.
The possible Chinese Virus benefits are a plus.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Been taking 1000 units twice a day for years after testing low on it.
My research back then said you pretty can’t OD on it, the body can take a lot of it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Over 10 years ago my health provider advised AT LEAST 2,000 USP Units a day. The "so-called" daily recommendation is only 400. I've been taking 2 and now three 2,000-unit Vitamin D3 pills a day, on top of what's in my other supplements and vitamins. I've seen several doctors talk of Vitamin D and say that they've NEVER heard of an overdose of Vitamin D. I got my wife to start 2 pills a day. It's cheap and there are no side effects, so more can be better.

·
White and nerdy
12,250 Posts
I've been on supplemental Vitamin D for years - there's some thought that lower vitamin D is a factor in autoimmune diseases, and also many Americans in general have lower levels than might be healthy.

That being said, is it too much to ask for a link to scientific articles or studies? 99% of the time if I see information being presented in a youtube, I'm starting off skeptical.

Reactions: orangejeep06

·
Banned
2,598 Posts
It can't hurt, I guess.. I have a huge Costco sized bottle.. I usually do 2000iu a day in the winter, but hardly ever take it in the spring and summer. Maybe I will start...

You CAN overdose on it but it requires stupid amounts, like 50000iu or more...

·
Supreme Member
3,884 Posts
That seems excessive. There is limited research on higher doses (2000 IUs per day).

I'm taking a minimal supplement right now (100% of daily requirement) but I think I'm going to double it.
My doc swears by Vitamin D and takes 4000 IUs a day. Says it works wonders for the immune system.

I don't take quite that much. My daily multivitamin has 800 IUs, and I take an additional 2000 IU supplement. I also drink a lot of milk, so I get a little more that way.

I've been doing that for about 10 years, and in that time I don't recall ever getting sick. No colds, no flu, nothing. I used to get colds that would kick my ass, but that hasn't happened in a long time.

·
Caffeinator
6,019 Posts
Skip to 18:00 for the vitamin D paper. Claiming 10x more likely to die (p<.001) if vitamin D is low compared to normal, even accounting for all other factors. That's astounding, but there has been evidence for a long time that D reduces resp. infections significantly.

I know the COVID-19 case numbers are all over the place depending on testing and whatnot but it would be interesting to try to correlate general vitamin D levels of populations with their case numbers. I believe this is one of the more significant reasons for geographical disparities in cases, worldwide.

View: https://youtu.be/K-mHCn74E5o?t=1079
I strongly believe one of the primary reasons I am not sick nearly as much as I used to be is due to me following my doctor's advice concerning Vitamin D. Since I became a regular user (daily 1,000 IU gel-cap), I do not get sick nearly as often (as in not sick a single time in 17 months). I generally avoid being out in the sun (or any bright light for that matter) due to light being a trigger for migraines (something I started experiencing around age 4 or 5), so the supplement is my main means of getting the vitamin D.

Edited to add: Specifically, I used to get respiratory infections with regularity, but since getting on the Vitamin D I have not experienced this problem a single time.

Reactions: Ofc.JL

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
always remember, correlation does not equal causation though

I've been doing that for about 10 years, and in that time I don't recall ever getting sick. No colds, no flu, nothing. I used to get colds that would kick my ass, but that hasn't happened in a long time
Never taken anything, no vitamins, don't take any prescription medicines, nothing. Also haven't been sick in my memorable adult life (atleast colds and such). I have purposefully exposed myself to everything I can ever since I have started traveling around the world. Eat like a local, drink the water, everything, used to get Montezuma's revenge in the early years, but nowadays can pretty much go anywhere and eat anything and never have a problem. But, who knows.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
They sell 5,000 USP pills, too... at Costco! Dr. Gundry said he's NEVER heard of an overdose, but I'm sure there are some "Here hold my beer" occurrences! :eek:

I posted this particular video link on Facebook and over at KahrTalk. The Indonesian study backs up what Dr. Campbell has been saying all a long.

It's a cheap pill and so beneficial... without harmful effects.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I’m in the hot GA sun a good bit. Getting an apocalyptic farmers tan with mask and gloves. Wonder what will happen if I keep soaking up tons of sun AND take 2000 iu’s a day? I don’t want to be the ‘hold my beer’ Bubba that OD’d on vitamin D.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
That won't happen. An extra 2K is good for you. I probably get 7K + a day.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I've been on supplemental Vitamin D for years - there's some thought that lower vitamin D is a factor in autoimmune diseases, and also many Americans in general have lower levels than might be healthy.

That being said, is it too much to ask for a link to scientific articles or studies? 99% of the time if I see information being presented in a youtube, I'm starting off skeptical.
I agree about the connection between D3 and autoimmune diseases. I have Crohn’s and test low on my semi annual blood tests for vitamin D3 and B12. I take 5000IU of each every day.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Vitamin D is fat soluble so you can OD. I hear it can happen from eating the whole liver of a polar bear. That may or may not be a fact.

EDIT: I have been corrected. It is Vitamin A in polar bear livers that kill you. The part about being able to OD on Vitamin D is still true, it takes a lot, from external sources. The body is apparently clever enough to not over produce Vitamin D from sun exposure.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Heard that on the Internet... or CNN? :D

Reactions: Glockbug
1 - 20 of 48 Posts