close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Visual Reference For Targets

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike from philly, Jul 29, 2002.

1. mike from philly

mike from philly

I have two aiming questions for you GSSF experts:

1) Most of the time, I can't see the scoring rings on the D-1 target, especially when my focus is on the front sight. How do you align your sights to be properly aimed, vertically and horizontally? Any tips and guides?

2) On the plates, what level should the top of the front sights be on the plate? I'm thinking the top of the sight should be on a line at the top 1/3 of the plate diameter, especially since I tend to shoot low.;Q

Regards,

Mike

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

When I can see the rings I aim for center of the 4" A ring. When I can't see the rings I center on the D-1, top to bottom and side to side. I "know" where the rings are so I aim for that. Maybe not what you were looking for but that's how I do it. A trick from TJC is I check each setup and use the ones that offer the levelest, brightest targets. I'd rather spend a little extra time waiting than shoot at a setup that isn't as close as possible to a perfect setup.

On the plates it's how do you want to do it. If you push, and a lot of us do when hurrying, then aiming high may get you through. Better to practice your trigger control with dry firing and work on the old standby aim center plate, squeeze and move to the next target. The plates are where the old saw "slower is faster" definitely applies.

3. on target

on target

Most of the time, I can't see the scoring rings on the D-1 target

Scoring rings, I'm lucky to see the center of the target with my eyes. I guess I know where they are so I aim in that direction, works ok. On the plates I aim dead center and that seems to work, if I try to aim high it isn't natural and takes up too much time thinking.

4. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Fireglock pretty much has it. Check the arrays out and shoot the one that gives the best picture. If you still can't see, you should have practiced more so you would know where to hold.

On the plates, when the sights or dot hits white, squeeze the trigger. You should already be looking at your next plate or two. You are almost looking between the plates and using your peripheral vision to see the sights. If the sights are in line, all you need is a little bit of white. It doesn't matter where you hit it, it will go down.

I love shooting plates!;f

5. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

TJC
    ......And eating southern Bar-B-Que, Right!!;Q ;e ;)
    Dan:cool:

6. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I DO miss the BBQ, both eating and wearing it. ;f ;)

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

TJ,

It looks good on you.;f

The first round toasted at Statesville will be to you.;c

8. glockNstein

glockNstein

TJC,
    As far as I remember, you still have half a rack coming to you.;f ;c ;c ;f

[​IMG]
    Here I go again!!!

9. mcginnes

mcginnes Safety Officer Millennium Member

Fireglock et al. are right: the best way is to practice shooting at the target. Get some real D-1s, put them out a 25 yards and shoot at them until you can keep 10 shots in the B ring. By the time you can do that, you will just know where the A ring is (really, you'll know what your sight picture is supposed to look like.)

But, this is what I did before I got to that point: See the circle, be the circle. If you look at a D-1 target, you will see that the top part is a half-circle with a Radius of 9". If you imagine to bottom half of that circle, it will cross the centerline halfway between the A and B rings. So, if you put your sights just a little above the bottom of that imaginary 9" circle, you'll be about where the A ring is. Your Milage WILL Vary depending on how you have your sights set up.