Vista Opinions?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by WellArmedSheep, Aug 24, 2007.

1. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

Just recieved a Dell Demension 9200 that I got a super hot deal on...it came with Vista Basic. So far (about 6 hours into it) I'm liking it. I'm considering upgrading to premium...is it really worth the $79 it'll cost me? I'm not really into resource intensive GUI's that are more eye-candy than anything else. Is that about what it'll be, or are there any other (useful) benefits to upgrading to premium.

BTW...the Dell has a Core 2 Quad core Q6600 (2.4Ghz), 2 gigs of DDR2, and DVD writer for $609. I checked yesterday and the price on the same machine went up to $899. Glad I got it when I did!

2. WellArmedSheep

BTW...the money I saved paid for a new 22" widescreen monitor, and a good chunk of a new video card.

:banana:

3. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

I could not really say being as I wiped the HD on my new laptop and installed Vista Ultimate right after I started the computer.

4. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

The media center is awfully nice but I don't think it's anything that couldn't be handled with third party freeware. I'm very surprised that your laptop didn't come with premium since it exceeds all the requirements for it.

I'm not sure about other differences between basic and premium, but I'm sure there are some out there.

5. JMag

JMag

Vista bites; next question.

:thumbsup:

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The differences I know are the eye candy desktop, can run dual monitors and the Media Center. Premium still lacks some of the networking features of Ultimate and Business.

7. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

Vista Home Premium came installed on our new laptop.

Once I got used to it and learned where everything was, compared to XP, it's not bad!!

It is massive, though!!

The Pentium Duo Core processor helps out quite a bit!!

8. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Vista home basic and Vista home premium will not support Virtual Machines.. as per Microsoft..

That means if you want to run Virtual PC 2007 you need Vista Ultimate..

I was able to install VPC 2007 on a Vista Basic system.. I got a message about being not supported and I got errors when I tried to run anything in it..

I haven't tried VMWare on Vista Home Basic yet..

I see this as a problem for people who run a lot of legacy apps.. and for support people who were using VPC to prevent non computer people from hurting themselves.. :supergrin:

Vista has a backward compatibility mode just like XP did but a lot of old apps on a system can affect performance.. and VPC 2007 was an easy way around that....

9. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

:puking:

10. WellArmedSheep

Despite what some of you are saying I'm really starting to like Vista. Sure it takes some getting used to compared to previous versions, but I'm finding that the changes have made it a little more easy to use for me.

11. Tennessee Slim

I like Vista, too (because it promises to dramatically increase the market share of Apple and *NIX products).

12. Mug

Mug

Vista (read Windows) has its place. I am an avid Debian person at heart but some things are just easier to do on a Windows platform. There are some nice features in Vista from a sysadmin point of view over Win2k/XP but at the same time there are some driver issues that need to be worked out. If you aren't computer inclined I would hold out a little longer for those quirks to be ironed out by both MS and 3rd party vendors.

13. Tennessee Slim

That's just the crux of the biscuit, innit? Microsloth has released another not-ready-for-prime-time product, transforming all its initial users/buyers into βeta testers. Historically, that's always been Mr. Bill's interpretation of the 90-10 rule.

14. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Never ever be unpaid beta testers. They do that crap on purpose.

Just like you never buy the first year production car.

Your time is valuable and for you to waste it by being guinea pigs is not productive use of your time.

15. Pdawg

Pdawg

I have been running Windows Vista Ultimate for a few months now. Things are pretty good so far. The only problems that I have encountered are with iTunes which crashes out on me sometimes. Other than that I am fairly happy.

Im a total geek so I had to go for Vista Ultimate. Ultimate offers nothing more than a program that can encrypt your hard drive (Bit Locker) and another feature that gives you some cool little tools and stuff.(Ultimate Extras) If you are not a Guru, the middle flavors of Windows will be just fine.

I would only recommend Vista on a new machine with at least 2 Gigs of Ram minimum.

A great resource I use for Vista stuff is located here
    http://www.winsupersite.com/vista/

Reviews and tips etc.

So far my opinions of Vista are that it is pretty damn good looking. The Search feature is amazing and It hasn't let me down yet.

16. boomcat

boomcat

I've loaded three of my home machines with Ubuntu Linux 7.04. When I thought of the expense involved in upgrading all five PCs from Win 2K Pro SP4 to Vista it was no contest. I've had 'em up and running for a week or two now and I like it. Wireless networking was a bear, but it's working, too. Ubuntu is free. I'll probably keep the two other machines in Win 2K for another year and then, adios. And that giant sucking sound from Redmond, Washington will be a little softer!

17. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

I like it, but I cannot transfer pics to the computer (Sony) and I cannot sync my Visor, because there is no software availiable compatible with Vista.

If anyone out there knows a solution, please let me know.