close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vista is pretty but.....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BilltheCat, Jan 30, 2007.

1. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

2. Toyman

Toyman

Bah, Fanboy speak! The article starts off by ragging on Microsoft for taking years to come out with Vista, and then repeatedly talks about how the NEXT version of the Mac OS will have the same features as Vista.

Vista is a much better looking OS than OSX if looks is what your after. OSX has two colors, Blue and Graphite, and that's just for buttons, menus, and windows, it still has just a stupid gray background. Vista has the ability for any color for the main UI.

OSX still doesn't let you resize a window by dragging any size or corner.

OSX doesn't let you close a program with just a single mouse click.

OSX's dock is just plain retarded, the taskbar in XP/Vista is by far more usable than the dock.

OSX's single menu is also retarded, especially when using multiple monitors.

The Max still ships with a one button mouse, 'nuff said there.

Deleted something to the trash and want to put it back? Better remember where it came from because OSX doesn't.

As much as I've tried to like OSX, I'm amazed at how Apple refuses to implement modern usability features just so they can be 'different'.

That being said, it runs Parallels nicely. That's what I use mine for.

Now, that being said, I hate Vista and OSX, I'll stick with XP, it works great for me.

3. BilltheCat

resizing windows? MS crashes and all you can talk about is 10 different ways to resize a window? Better a window that doesnt break!

You have made up your mind and if you want to nibble at the edges of something and critisize it I care not.

Anyone could make a list about 157,000 items long with the dangerous and stupid items in MS XP and Vista. The new OS is so good a SP is coming out sometime soon! wait for it! :rofl:

You can like Bill Gates if you want. I think he is the devil. and the way he has the world waiting for his every breath is laughable.

4. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Blah, more FUD to justify your purchase of your MAC.
    Grats to you, you win the prize.

I love Bill Gates! He gives me the oportunity to maintain his buggy OS so I can earn a living.

:banana:

5. JMag

JMag

Vista is NOT as clean as Mac OS X anyway you slice it. Wait until late in the year for SP1 of Vista if you insist on Windows...you'll thank me.

:thumbsup:

6. BilltheCat

a. I dont *need* to justify my iMac to you or anyone.

b. You like windoze and you trade on the suffering of others. it pays you well I imagine.

c. :wavey:

7. BilltheCat

Hopefully I will never give Bill Gates another dollar. That will make me happy.

8. podwich

podwich

XP doesn't crash for me and I use it all day.

I don't really care that a new OS came out-I'll get it when I buy a new computer but I won't bother earlier. It does get a bit tiring hearing all this Mac stuff from people supposedly talking about PCs.

9. BilltheCat

when did tech talk become all about windoze only?

if this is a rule please let me know.

:tongueout:

10. coopal_131

coopal_131

It's amazing how one thinks he is the "expert" when he's been using MAC for less than a month. Windows crashes because people can't and won't leave it alone. Tweak this and tweak that and they don't even know what they're doing.

11. BilltheCat

I am no expert on a mac. never said I was. I am degreed in the computer world however and have been using windows and ms dos before that since their was such a thing.

I was an expert in that medium for a long time. I even used to design computer motherboards. is that enough?

I do know when something works and when it doesnt.

People tinker with windows to make it work.

getting tired of me? ignore me or stop being a pill.

12. coopal_131

coopal_131

Could have fooled me with all your computer questions here at GT! :upeyes:

13. Toyman

Toyman

Some of you guys are real idiots. Did you even READ the article referenced in the first post? The author was nit-picking Vista and comparing it with OSX.

The rest of our comments were in that context. Maybe you should learn what the word context means.

(Not mentioning any names or directing this at anyone in particular)

14. Toyman

Toyman

Why is it that I can run XP for months at a time 24/7 without a reboot, all the while doing development where I crash my apps (because of my bad code) while debugging and I still don't bring down the OS? I've had my Mac for 3 months and it's locked up 4 times while doing nothing more than surfing the web.

You didn't quite read far enough where I said:

I hate Vista

15. BilltheCat

If I short sighted you Mike please accept my apologies. I realize that operating systems are seemingly like necessary evils and whatever ones persons experience is, another person could have a very different one.

I do re-read my posts sometimes and wonder why I said them. Is it that I am 'justifying my purchase in Apple' or just zeal at something new? I don't know.

My experience so far is that OSX is strong fu. That doesnt make it perfect for everyone, just good for me so far.

OSX is basically Unix with an overlay like wine or other GUI.

I didnt intend to become an Apple Nazi, and will try to check my bravado at the door in the future.

I guess it is new toy syndrome?

Best

16. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

You do realize MS owns a percentage of Apple don't you?

Mac's crash too. Trust me on this.

17. Toyman

Toyman

Hey, no problem. I always say "The best OS for you is the OS that works best for you."

I just get sick of people telling me I should switch to something else with the attitude that if I do I'll never have another problem again. It's just not the case.

It's like saying that I should drive a Honda Accord because it's the best car, but doesn't really address the fact that I need to tow a 25' boat.

There is no 'best' OS, Just what's best for you.

18. BilltheCat

No actually MS does not own any Apple stock. They lost it way back in like 2002 or 03

and forgive me if I trust you about as much as I trust your facts

19. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Apologies for missing that.

But the family business runs on macs. They've been very unstable.

And bill, you have been uncharacteristically cranky of late. Everything ok?

20. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

It's hard to talk about Ford, without bringing up Chevy or Toyota!

Comparison is good, and there are some things in Vista that Apple would do well to emulate, and there's things in OS X that Windows really should have.

The idea that either Apple or MS has a monopoly on good ideas and clever design is crazy.

All that said, I'd be happy to move my office's14 XP computers to Vista, but at a total cost of well over $3K just for the OS, there's no way to justify it.

We'll get Vista with new computers over the next 3+ years... I don't expect to be fully running Vista until well into 2010.

My macs will be running OS X 10.5 by this summer, for a total of $200 for five licenses, and another $250 for an OSX Server license. Total cost is exactly the same as one copy of Windows Vista Ultimate.