close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vista Hard drive Space recovery / cleaning

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Gunzz, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Gunzz

Gunzz

Can someone help me with some information on what directory or files I can delete in Vista?

The original system was 15GB when I bought it. I took all of my files (documents/pictures/music) on to an external drive. It was only 20GB of content.

However, a 160GB hard drive original, is now full!!! Even with my things taken out.

I did the vssadmin shadow storage resize to 2GB, but I think it only affected the partition recovery drive. I used the disk Cleanup utility, and also CCleaner.

How do I recover the space on the main drive? I was told the weekly restore point acitvity in Vista is clogging my drive.

Thank you for any help youu can share.

2. stolivar

stolivar

go to my computer. right click and go to properties.

then go to disk cleanup... that will clear up a whole bunch of temp files and other stuff.

steve

3. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Also, look at the properties for your Winsxs folder (it may be "hidden") Vista keeps shadow copies of installs and uninstalls there, I've seen them as large as 60Gb

4. Gunzz

Gunzz

How do I locate the Winsxs files, HK? I appreciate the tips.

5. stolivar

stolivar

6. unit 900

unit 900

I had a similar but highly unusual experience with Vista. I was using Avast antivirus and every scan created log files that were large. It virtually filled my hard drive. I found and deleted those and went back to AVG. Don't know if this applies at all, but it drove me nuts until I found those log files. Good luck

7. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

sounds like the backups are taking over. I don't use those or support those..so i have no idea how to kill them. maybe someone else can speak up

8. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Download this ... http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

... it's TreeSize Free, with it you can find out which folders are the largest on your drives and maybe recover some space. Also if you get the zipped executable you don't have to install it to run it.

9. Stoneofrefuge

Stoneofrefuge

In conjuction with ccleaner, you can run this part of the program safely, its called free space cleaner. The free space is where you deleted your files and junk not wanted by windows. If you just clean your free space, it will make some difference. Not much to recognize. I hope this has helped some.

10. tbird911

tbird911

Also never hurts to do a full complete backup before a really down and dirty spring cleaning. . . :)

11. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin