Vista graphics question - blurry

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ShipWreck, Aug 5, 2007.

1. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Ok - quick problem. Brand new Vista machine.

I have tried it on my LCD AND a super nice CRT. The text is fuzzy.

It defaulted to the highest resolution, and on a 17 inch screen, that is too small. But, at that resolution, or ANY lower one - the desktop icon test is clear, as is the start menu. But, any program I run (browser, word processor, pop up menu from things in the system tray) - the text is blurry.

I have messed with all sorts of settings - I took away shadows, unsmoothed the edge of the text, adjusted "sharpness" in the Nvidia control box, switched to classic mode, U name it. I've increased font size at high resolutions, and tried to shrink it at lower ones. No luck.

It is irritating that on my XP system, it was fine.

It can't be the PC as everything is super clear on the desktop.

I have tried googling, but have had no luck. The text is just slightly, slightly out of focus - enough to give me a headache over time.

I even looked at some new machines at the store - some of them are the same.

What am I missing?

2. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

When I installed the new version of IE it had Clear type fonts enabled and text was not sharp. I have not used Vista so I do not know if it is set up by default to use clear type fonts or if that is the problem.

3. ShipWreck

I have turned off clear type - it helps somewhat. But not as much as I like. I did a lot of googling - and it seems that even with that off, Vista still does something to some text in some programs. Nothing you can do if U are unlucky enough to suffer from this... Progress, huh?

4. ShipWreck

Well, between the clear type thing, resolution changes, shadow changes, and a bunch of other stuff which I can't remember anymore after messing with this for 2 days, I got it to where I am satisfied with it - even though I still prefer XP.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

Which video card do you have?

6. ShipWreck

It is built in Invidia graphics in an HP Pavillion. I bought it yesterday.

7. HAVOC

HAVOC Guest

If you're running an LCD at any resolution besides it's maximum, I'm amazed EVERYTHING isn't blurry. LCDs just don't scale down well.

8. ShipWreck

Well, on XP 1024x768 was fine. But yea, I am at maximum now. But, I tried a very nice CRT, and it didn't matter.