Visiting California With Firearms?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ChuteTheMall, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Mattmangt

Mattmangt

I live in a shall issue county in CA and so have my CCW. When I go to places like LA or SF that may issue (but don't), I don't CCW. While my permit would technically cover me, there are so many city ordinances and private property statements prohibiting, guns, knives, pepper spray or anything that could be construed as a weapon. It's just not worth it. Plus 9 times out of 10 that I'm going to those places it's to play a show and it's illegal to CCW in bars and clubs anyway.
    If I am driving to a range or need to transport for some reason in one of those areas, I abide by the law and transport unloaded, in a locked container and separated from any ammo, even though my CCW doesnt require me to do that.

Never been mugged or attacked, never been threatened. Also never been stopped or frisked or had any bad experience with LE since I don't do anything while driving or walking around to give probable cause, whether carrying or not.

My main reason for CCW in CA is for the trails and back country. On my own property I can do as I please but the work I do with SAR takes me into animal country a lot. The mountain lions especially have been getting aggressive. Recently a hiker was attacked and their dog eaten and lions have been coming into the yards and eating dogs and cats around here. So I want to be able to carry when I'm out with the dog too. And snakes, bears and rabid coyotes are always a possibility.

Unless you are going to go straight into Compton and yell "come and get me" I don't see a need for carrying in town.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    Caver 60 likes this.
  2. Caver 60

Caver 60

See last sentence of your post. Has he had any encounter with LEO in those states, especially the northeastern states you mentioned?

3. Vito

Vito

None. He is a cautious driver when in those states to reduce the likelihood of being stopped for a traffic violation.

4. fredj338

fredj338

Fact, municipaliti
    i also live in a county that while not shall issue, is one of the easiest to get a ccw in. I carry everywhere legal, LA, Sanfran, its legal, I will not be intimidated. Besides, those are two cities you want to carry a gun in if out & about.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  5. Con43

Con43

A lot of this talk about Calif. travel carry is here say IMO. I live in Nev. and travel quite a bit in and out of Calif. When I know I will be going into Calif. during my travels I carry a SP-101 rather then my normal carry and when time comes to cross border I put it in a Calif. DOJ approved travel safe along with the loose shells in a small box. I only acknowledge firearm if asked. I have been asked once, replied yes,Highway Patrol officer asked where I told him he looked at the safe and attachment and didn't even ask me to open it. Told me slow down, have a nice day and left. The laws may be restrictive compared to most, but if you know and obey them you "most" times will be OK. JMO

Caver 60 and fredj338 like this.
  6. fredj338

fredj338

It is very jurisdictional though. Around Reno up that way, rural chp or sherrif, not likely an issue. You go sf or la, it could get ugly faster than you like. You are right though, obey the laws, not much an antigun cop can do you you legally.

7. GunsNweights87

GunsNweights87

Shall not comply just keep it out of sight and loaded can’t do a search without consent soooooo

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

8. 4896worker

4896worker

I have lived in California all my life before my county went shall issue on ccw permits I used a key pad safe cable locked to seat code was 123# I could open it in seconds . I obayed the law no speeding etc the one time stoped by pd who saw the safe he ask what was inside i said stuff he said what kind of stuff my answer important he kind of smiled . PD needs cause to search they just can’t pull you out and go through your stuff at least not yet. Now with the permit I carry on my body all over the state San Francisco los angles it’s leagal for me to do

Dcc65 likes this.