Visa Debit Gift Cards & internet shopping

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bilbo Bagins, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I seen a Visa Debit Gift card in Target the other day. Can you use those to buy things on the internet? I want to buy some stuff from a site that only takes credit cards, and I want to keep it off my regular credit card.

2. woncrzymof0

woncrzymof0

You can as long as the total does not exceed the balance on the card.

If it does, call up and do it over the phone.. put the full balance of the card towards the order then the rest on a different card.

I've done it many times.

3. sbhaven

sbhaven

In the past the Visa gift cards (don't know if debt or not) didn't work for me on the internet until I logged into a web site (listed on the card) and put in my address (shipping address) and card owner information in. Then online retailers started accepting the card.

You may have to do something similar with your gift card.

4. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I have a Mastercard Debit card issued by my bank. I love it they even gave me $50 for using it 10 times.

5. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

Be careful buying the VISA gift cards. Lots of times they have an activation fee of around $5. That is 10% of a $50 gift card that goes right to their pocket (for what?). Better to give cards that go directly to a chain if your recipient has one available to use where they are at.

6. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

Oops...missed something in the OPs post. Oh well, didn't answer the question, but there is some more info for you.

7. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

It's my understanding, that any debit card that has a VISA or MASTER CARD logo on it, operates under the same coverage rules as does a Credit Card.

But as been stated, they do observe the daily limits on withdrawals that the issuing bank sets.

8. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I've used them at online retailers, just make sure they know it's a gift card w/ now address to verify to, and it should go through.