close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

VISA and MC Debit "gift" cards...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cochese, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

...SUCK and this is why:

1) You can't buy anything online with them because everything costs 8 cents more than the damn balance on the damn card so it declines... after putting a ghost $1.00 transaction on the card for the failed attempt to use it.

2) Stupid effing Paypal hasn't figured out a way to dump the balance of these stupid effing gift cards onto your account so you can actually effing use them.

:steamed:

I have three $50 gift cards from XMAS. One is a VISA and two are MC.

They have a combined value of $150 and are worthless as **** on a chicken, unless I use them at McDonalds 35 times. Its all a scam to leave a small balance that is impossible to get off which will eventually expire and go to the issuing company. They should all be shot.

Okay, I feel better.

No I don't.

:steamed:

2. Cochese

...Then I thought... wait! I need to go grocery shopping and wife wants to hit costco!

I can use them there!!! Oh wait... they only take AMEX.

:soap:

3. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I always use them to pay bills online like my cell phone or something then use that freed up cash to buy what I was wanting to buy. These cards are the biggest scam around IMO.

Greg

4. Resqu2

Resqu2

Ok, are you saying you coldn't order something online that cost a total of $45? Just asking so I better understand what your saying.

5. devildog2067

devildog2067

You could go to a retail store and buy something that costs MORE than $50, and use the gift card as partial payment... or you could keep complaining about the things people get you to make you feel good.

6. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Wait, you found a place that has a card reader and ONLY takes AMEX? That's crazy talk. Most places take anything BUT AMEX because of the inflated fees they charge. I'd say find a grocery run by someone who isn't complete moron.

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I've tried this too, many Point of Sale systems aren't capable of "splitting" ythe payments. So, if it's 55 dollars and I give them a card with 50 dollars in credit on it, they literally have no way to accept cash for the difference.

It's a shortcoming of the software, not the retailer.

8. Cochese

Good idea. Yes, a huge effing scam.

No, I wanted an OTF Microtech Makora knockoff I found for $49 plus 6ish in shipping. However, I can't use these worthless effing cards because nobody takes partial tenders online. Balance on each card is $50. They can't be combined, they can't be transferred to Paypal...

WTF am I supposed to do with them? Pay bills I guess. Except all my online bill pay stuff is set up to receive payments automatically or through My Check Free and one time payments will create a credit on the account which will just screw everything up more!

9. RustySocket

RustySocket

Dont be thick. He could do that and then he has a useless card with 5$ left on it.

The cards are a scam because there are millions of them that get thrown away with a balance which can not be recovered.

Try using your gift card with a balance of .12 on it.... it's more trouble than its worth.

10. DRZ

DRZ

Ditto

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  11. Cochese

About the only stores where this works are grocery stores, which I avoid, since I am a Costco member. This is a complaining thread, so go pound sand.

Costco is one of the biggest retailers out there. Can't be too bigga moron running it!

Yep.

12. SavageDragon

SavageDragon

Maybe instead of ordering online, could you call them and order it? Maybe they would split charges over the phone.

13. BEER

BEER bad example

even during christmas gift giving "cash is king". as a nifty bonus it's accepted everywhere.

14. Cochese

Exactly the reason for this thread. To ***** about this G-D effin scam they are running. Paypal needs to get up off their shoulders and work out a solution for this.

That is an excellent idea.

Today, I am actually glad I have a 400 horsepower gas guzzler! :rofl:

15. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

I've never heard of a place that couldn't use both on the same transaction. :dunno:

Last time I bought gasoline I ended up $.01 over an even number. The fine young gal at the register took a penny out of the jar and applied that to the cost so my balance was a nice even #. :supergrin:

16. Cochese

Not a bad idea.

Except online! :rofl:

I'll forward this thread to my loved ones. :supergrin:

17. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Wait!? Costco only accepts AMEX? Really?

18. Cochese

19. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

It's more of a scam than that though.

A lot of them charge a "fee" (usually $1) for each "transaction." Now, the tricky part is like this and this is why it's a scam:

> Let's say I get a gift card for $50.
    > I want to go buy something for exactly $50 at a store. Exactly $50 with tax and all.
    > When the store uses the card to pay for the item, it gets declined? Why, you ask? Well, they deduct a $1 transaction fee first so now your balance is $49 on the card. Not enough to buy something for $50.
    > So now you have a card with a $49 balance right? You go and try to buy something else and it's declined again. You are scratching your head wondering what the hell is going on. What the card people fail to disclose is that "fee" they charge. Nowhere on the package or card does it say anything about it. Online, maybe or if you call.
    > So, now let's assume you still have this card and you have figured out the scam. Like me, you might be a couple or three dollars short of your $50 by now. So now you have $47 on the card and now you have to buy something for $46. Fun stuff, huh?
    > Chances are, you won't find something for exactly $46 so you buy something less and end up leaving a balance on a now worthless card.
    > So, the net is that if you do not know all this up front, your $50 gift card is worth quite a bit less than $50. If you have folks that give these to you, please explain all this and ask them to stop purchasing them as gifts. Just give cash...
    > So, what I do is I pay my partial payments on some bills online with them. Most of the places I can pay online will let you pay any amount so this works out well. You just have to know about any fees and how much the card is actually worth before trying to make payment. Like I stated earlier, the catch is that THEY CHARGE THE FEE EACH TIME IT IS SWIPED, REGARDLESS IF IT IS APPROVED OR NOT.

Greg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  20. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I got one of those as a present and came against the same roadblock that online can only accept one form of payment.

I called the store and they hooked me up over the phone :thumbsup: