close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Virus Help- A smiley face?...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Mar 5, 2006.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm sure this is a virus, ...

A online friend just called, her PC when she turns it on, simply shows a big smiley face on screen. I can't see the PC or work on it to be sure, but it sure sounds like a virus.

A quick google search of smiley virus makes me feel i'm right, but removal instructions are not real clear. The problem is the PC(Win98) is already infected.

How exactly can you remove this at this point. The PC apparently will do nothing no matter what keys are hit, etc. I'm getting ready to ask her to try booting in to Safe Mode...

IGF

2. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

Depending on so many things.. Viruses can be extremely difficult to remove once they're lodged in. It is 1000000 X more productive to use good preventive maintenance, updated virus scanner, spyware, and common sense on what you click on-line, and never GET a virus. The fact that it's Win98 makes it even more difficult.

Try to get into safemode, stop any non essential programs from starting up during boot, see if it goes away. If you can get into safemode, try running a virus scan. If it doesn't go away, or you can't get into safemode, the only way to recover data is to load a second copy of windows onto the hard drive, (or onto a different hard drive), backup the data, and reformat. Immediately scan "backed up data" with an up to date virus scanner.

There's a chance you could recover the present install of windows, but I wouldn't even attempt to tackle that over a forum with windows 98.

Backup data, load windows (xp if possible), get sp2, make sure automatic update is on, get a virus scanner and make sure its up to date, get an anti spyware program. gl -dok

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I think i might have gotten lucky....

Oddly enough, the virus only seemed to manifest itself when the PC went into "hibernate" mode. The hibernate mode was coming on almost immediately(like 1min of idle time). She could use the PC, as soon as she stopped for more than 1min, it would go to the smiley again...

Ended up booting normally, disabling all screen savers and power save options. Downloaded Avast.., updated, ran. Found several nasties.

Turned the power saving features/screen savers back on, and its working fine now...

Strange...

IGF

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.