close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Virus gobbling up my HD

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by AC37, Nov 29, 2006.

1. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

I woke up this morning and turned on my computer...within a few minutes I started getting "Low Disk Space" warnings. A few minutes after that, it starts saying I don't have _any_ hard drive room now. During this time, I was of course creating no new files or anything and before this started I had several GB of free space available, so of course I concluded it must be a worm/virus/etc. McAfee finished and found/cleaned a few things, and even though it did my hard drive room is still at 0, and if I delete anything to free up space, that space goes away within seconds, too. Now McAfee is saying some components are missing and my computer is no longer fully protected. This is not the first time McAfee has failed to catch a virus unfortunately, and needless to say I am not very happy with them right now. Is there any freeware cleaners/anti-virus software out there that will find and fix this virus, and restore my missing space, without having to reformat the entire system, which would be a major inconvenience, needless to say? TIA.

2. Bronson7

Bronson7

What I would do first is remove McAfee, run system file checker, and scan disk, to replace any broken modified files. Run Ccleaner to cleanup the McAfee uninstall then go back and check your disk space. Hopefully, McAfee just took a dump on you and was giving you these problems. If that doesn't fix it, you could try a restore but my understanding is it can be iffy in that it doesn't actually remove a virus but rather isolates it. On another PC, download Avast or AVG (both free) install it, update it (if you can connect) and run a full scan including all archives. See what that turns up. In addition, you may want to run an on-line scan from one of the reputable free scan services (just Google free virus scan). I don't know if anyone here is familiar with interpreting HiJackThis logs, but some of the major computer forums have sections dedicated to doing this and they'll give you very detailed directions. Hopefully it won't go that far as it's a very detailed process. I'm not a virus/malware guru but I hope thats helped some. Finally, make sure you have a good firewall up, and anti-spyware apps.
    Bronson7
    PS. I just realized, you may also be having an HD going south. Most mfgs have utilities on their site to test their hard drives. I've never used them so I don't know the details.

3. neon

neon

Had the same problem a while back,no one knew how to fix it.I ran cc cleaner and all drive space returned and has not been a problem since.

4. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

Hmm, no joy on CC Cleaner, even with the latest version. Any specifics you remember Neon? My options on d/l are limited, too, since I have to delete about 1/2 a gig of data to get even the smallest of files downloaded.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

6. lens

lens

You might want to DL and try (free trial) Raxco's DiskState. Check the HDD for largest files to see where the disk space is going.
    http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/diskstate_download.cfm

I had something similar happen and it was the latest version of AVG free AV log files that were out of control. I modified my settings wrt saving log files and the problem went away.

7. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

Hmm, I thought I had responded to this thread back on the 30th but apparently not. Sorry about that. Long story short, the issue's fixed - one of the programs recommended above seemed to fix the issue, either CCleaner or AWC, one of the two, not sure which - rebooted my computer and all my missing space was back, no longer counting down to doom. Thanks for all the help guys. :)

8. UtahBen

UtahBen

I am having the same issue. Thanks for the input here. I hope it works!