Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used or seen the Viridian Green Laser system used on a handgun? They're now selling a Glock version with a special introductory price of $279 (down from $299) which ends Monday 7, July, 2008. And the approximate shipping date for these new laser's is Friday 11 July, 2008. I've been pondering an external laser for a Glock 17 and these Viridian lasers looks nice and bright for daytime shooting.

·
Retired Member
9,201 Posts
I've seen ads for the unit, but have no personal experience with it.

Good price, if it's quality!

I'm in the process of putting my new LaserMax Uni-Green through its paces.

The LMS-UNI-G is cleverly designed to allow for a weapon light, by virtue of its own integral accessory rail.

http://www.lasermax.com/

The green dot is visible in broad daylight, but does not project a revealing beam indoors day or night (at least in my house). At night, it appears many times brighter than red, and is picked up that much more quickly!

The green beam is traceable outdoors at night, where the traditional red beam may be desirable for tactical reasons.

More later!

--Ray

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have one of these on a Walther P22. We were testing it miday bright sun and were able to see the green dot with no problem at pistol ranges. We could still see it if we tried at 50 yds on the side of the trap house. It was easy to zero. I like the daylight ability of the green dot much better than my other red dot lasers. Regards

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one of these on a Walther P22. We were testing it miday bright sun and were able to see the green dot with no problem at pistol ranges. We could still see it if we tried at 50 yds on the side of the trap house. It was easy to zero. I like the daylight ability of the green dot much better than my other red dot lasers. Regards
Thanks for the info, and the nice picture too. I also have a P22 and was thinking about putting the Viridian on it too in addition to putting one on a G17. I saw a guy shooting a Walther P22 with the Walther red laser at an outdoor range two weeks ago and he didn't like it as the red dot was next to impossible to see in daylight at distances over 10 yards. He said the Walther laser was really only good for low light use or an indoor range.

Viridian also has several holsters for the P22 that mounts their laser system too which is a nice plus. Hopefully they'll have some for the Glock laser setup as well.
http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a Viridian for my .40 cal XD and for my Walther P-22. They are great! I've had both since November, long battery life (4 + hours), very rugged, rock solid.
I know where the engineers for Viridian test shoot and I have seen some prototypes for new stuff. These guys a fairly friendly.
Blade Tech is making a holster for the Viridian equipped P-22 and Glock/Viridian holsters from Blade Tech are soon to follow.
Keep an eye on their website for their X5L, it's a green laser with a 95 lumen tac light! Wish I knew the price. I have already ordered my laser for my Glock 17 longslide and it should arrive soon. I will keep you informed.

·
Rebuilding
185 Posts
Just from initial looks, I'd prefer my uni-green to the viridian due to sheer size and weight of the latter unit. However, the uni-green's battery life isn't anything to write home about.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a quick picture of a G17 and a P22 with the Viridian Green Laser setup. While they seem large they don't really weigh all that much. The GLK version weights 2.8 oz and the WP22 version weights 2.2 oz. I don't even notice the weight when their on the two guns. The activation button (one on each side) for both are easily reached with the trigger finger. The lasers are nice and bright in daylight. Can't wait to shoot them this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
I use a Viridian for my .40 cal XD and for my Walther P-22. They are great! I've had both since November, long battery life (4 + hours), very rugged, rock solid.
I know where the engineers for Viridian test shoot and I have seen some prototypes for new stuff. These guys a fairly friendly.
Blade Tech is making a holster for the Viridian equipped P-22 and Glock/Viridian holsters from Blade Tech are soon to follow.
Keep an eye on their website for their X5L, it's a green laser with a 95 lumen tac light! Wish I knew the price. I have already ordered my laser for my Glock 17 longslide and it should arrive soon. I will keep you informed.
I had this link sent to me by Guns America of a short demo. I want the 2nd model with the integrated tactical light That strobe effect looks like it ought to disorientate a BG pretty well.
www.viridiangreenlaser.com 1-800-990-9390

By the way, Glockworld.com lists the plain laser unit for $259.37

·
Go Bucks!
264 Posts
I had this link sent to me by Guns America of a short demo. I want the 2nd model with the integrated tactical light That strobe effect looks like it ought to disorientate a BG pretty well.
www.viridiangreenlaser.com 1-800-990-9390

By the way, Glockworld.com lists the plain laser unit for $259.37
Viridian says their product will fit all Glocks except for SF with Picatinny rails. I guess they don't like SF kind of guys.

·
Retired Member
9,201 Posts
That strobe effect looks like it ought to disorientate a BG pretty well.
You've got that right!

I received my XTI Procyon Weapon Light last week, and it has the strobe function you mentioned. It would indeed, disorientate and confuse an intruder! :freak:

--Ray

·
Registered
787 Posts
I emailed Viridian and got this response:

Our universal model is referred to as the X5L and it will fit perfectly with your Glock 21 SF (with Picatinny rail I’m assuming). It will be available by September of 2008 and is dubbed the Viridian X5L. “X” as in Xtreme duty (waterproof), “5” for 5 MilliWatts of green laser power, and “L” as it will have an option for a powerful LED-based tactical light. The X5 green laser only sight is expected to have an MSRP of $329 and the X5L green laser sight with tactical light is expected to be at $379.

We will let you know via email when this product becomes available. I have also attached some additional material on the X5L for you here. Keep an eye out for the next issue of Guns and Ammo Handguns (out mid to late August) as the Viridian X5L will be on the front cover on Springfield's new XD(M).

·
Registered
787 Posts
http://forums.crimsontrace.com/index.php?topic=33880.0

.........Furthermore green lasers are an IR diode with a chip that brings the color down into the green spectrum, because of this green lasers are 10 times less battery efficient than the current red. Also green diodes are much more fragile and more prone to temperature variations than the long proven red diodes.
They are great! I've had both since November, long battery life (4 + hours), very rugged, rock solid.
From the link above: The problem is being the color green is easier for the human eye to see, under low light conditions (the conditions you are much more likely to need to use your laser equipped firearm in self defense) green offers some very real disadvantages. Under low light the green laser will splash off the target terribly making it difficult to discern the dot. Also under low light conditions the green laser itself is visible, one nice line from shooter to target. Finally under low light conditions the green laser will illuminate your surroundings (this is especially true inside buildings) like a green LED flashlight.
This is why the model I mentioned, the X5L, had the strobe built into tactical light doubt the bg will be able to even see the laser, and besides I want that straight line, it will aid in lining up on the target. Also the laser has different levels of intensity settings for just such a scenario of the splash he spoke of. Additionall the bg will not have any problems finding my laser line because it's end point will be between his eyes. I wouldn't expect a competetor of Viridians to elevate it above their own product, but I think from the videos and the pics there is only going to be one choice for me, and it ain't red.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts