GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Are married couples wearing PPE at home? Are they social distancing?

·
Cheese?
9,451 Posts
That's sad! Right around the time the toilet paper shortages started, I was starting to really obsess over keeping myself and my wife safe but I quickly realized that I don't want to live my life that way. We can do that because we don't have any health issues or comorbidities. I'm not saying it won't kill us, it's just not as likely to kill us and we're not going to go through life worrying about it.

The worrying has turned into obsession in some people I know, and even mental illness for a relative. She won't leave her house, and won't even touch the dirty dishes or clothes to clean up inside her home. Her husband who was retired until he had to start taking care of his grandsons, and is now working again, has to come home from work and clean up because she won't do it, she just sits in her chair all day.
Yeah, I agree that it can easily go too far.

We're pretty careful around here, my 18 y/o son is a type 1 Diabetic, which means he's just more vulnerable to everything that comes through, as his system is always at least a little compromised. He's not truly 'immune-compromised' like someone taking immune suppressants or with another major condition, he's just more prone to getting every bug he's exposed to - middle school was just hell, he was constantly ill.

At the same time, cowering at home isn't the right choice for anyone, so PPE, social distancing and disinfecting is the name of the game. I dunno about Covid, but the kid has been healthier this year than he's been since he was diagnosed as a Type 1 at age 9.

Kids are freaking petri dishes. :)

Reactions: Westexas

·
Cheese?
9,451 Posts
Are married couples wearing PPE at home? Are they social distancing?
I know personally two couples who are doing this, both in cases where one member of the couple is a front-line Covid health-care worker, and the other is working with vulnerable populations or family members. They're sleeping in different bedrooms, masking up at home, and separating themselves as much as their situation allows to help keep the vulnerable people in their lives safe.

At least one covid-floor nurse in my extended network moved into their RV in the driveway 'for the duration' for this same reason.

This is of course not what the VAST majority of people are doing, but frontline folks are in a little different situation.

·
Cheese?
9,451 Posts

·
Registered
18,151 Posts
I have Stage II COPD and wearing a mask causes me to have panic attacks when I feel I can't breathe (No! DON'T EVEN go there!).

It's not just a sensation of not getting sufficient air ... it's true that I normally gasp for air anyway ... just a mask makes it a tiny bit worse.

So ... yeah ... there are exceptions to a law or rule or decree if it's not thoroughly thought out, although I try to not play my COPD card.
I have talked to one person that that had breathing troubles and could not tolerate a mask. I suggested he talk to his doctor about getting some 02 and wear a mask over that. Let the 02 help with the breathing.

yeah, I think they're doing time and 10% bleach solution?

I recall that one at-risk member here built a UV box for mail/packages, it seemed like kind of overkill at the time, but I'm increasingly thinking that's an appropriate choice for high-risk people.
I made one and used it quite a bit till it warmed up. Now that it is turning colder I'm going to start using it again.

Reactions: Deanster

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
You are inventing excuses that M&P15T's behavior that he himself has not claimed. He hasn't claimed that he has an actual condition, nor has he said 'that's between me and my doctor' - instead he's simply claimed that he doesn't care, and that the mask mandate is inappropriate, which isn't what I'm discussing here at all.

If you elect to pretend that his claimed condition is real when even he can't be bothered to pretend it is, I can't help you.

Coming up with excuses and validations for disgusting behavior is active support of that choice, and if you support lying about non-existent medical conditions, and/or encourage someone's false claim that they have such a condition, I'll add you to the list of people who have shown their true character.

You can draw your line wherever you choose, sir.

That's where I draw mine.

Claiming a medical condition you don't have is not acceptable behavior. Not once, not ever, for any reason. If you think it is, well, you've chosen which side of the line you wish to stand on, and I wish you the best of that experience.
So you are anti-transgender? They claim something which they are not medically.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
It's all fun and games till someone you love is in the .4%. With 8 million test-confirmed cases in the US, there's a lotta people who have someone in that group.

Sucks to be struck by lightening, too, but the odds are pretty slim.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if your physicians aren’t advising you to wear P100 masks with eye protection, then they are wrong, flat out. There is high risk, like me, and there is ultra high risk, you and your wife are ultra high risk sir. I would also advise you shelter in place. This ridiculous mask that “the powers that be” have coerced the general public to wear is a huge con, to what end I have no idea.
We do pretty much shelter at home. As best as possible.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Was $1200 fine and possible jail time, so an improvement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What type of mask do you wear?

Do you also wear surgical gloves when you go out?

Do you wear gloves and drop your mail or packages in the garage and let it sit for a few days to ensure there's no live COVID on it?

Do you disinfect everything that you bring home from the grocery store?

If you wear a mask but not an N95 or better mask, and don't do all of the above, your mask wearing is useless because you'll still get it.

I'm not trying to be an a hole to you, I sincerely hope that you and your wife are well. Just trying to put things in perspective that simply wearing masks is useless.
We have N95, but running out now.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I have no idea how someone could intentionally lie about having a medical condition to avoid a minor inconvenience, and feel like they were a decent and moral person.

I DGAF how you feel about the mask issue, lying and claiming a condition you don't actually have is disgusting, regardless of circumstance.

Either don't wear the mask and take the heat for something you believe in, or suck it up and wear it.

Claiming a fake medical issue FOR ANY REASON is some ghetto lowlife BS.

Life is more than hard enough for people with legitimate medical disabilities without people faking it and causing businesses and government agencies to tighten their rules because so many people are claiming medical exemptions they don't actually qualify for.

We've disagreed on various things over the years, but this time I have to question your fundamental character.
So what if someone does have a medical condition that precludes wearing a mask?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Wear a mask if you want. Don't expect others to follow along with your fears. You health is your responsibility, not others. If you're both that ill that COVID can kill you, stay home.

You write of caring and compassion, but in the same breath expect the entire rest of the world to accommodate you and your wife. You two can stay home and not expose yourselves, yet you selfishly venture out and blame everyone else but yourselves for your respective health being in peril.

If you truly believed in caring and compassion, you'd respect that others want to get on with their lives.

That is such a baseless opinion.

There are reasons for the medical exemption. Consult a pulmonolgist .

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
They got real problems in VA...it's Northern VA and Richmond versus the rest of the freedom loving state
Understand that West Virginia offered you take in those counties wishing to secede. And there is precedent for counties seceding from Virginia and becoming part of another state.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
I have no idea how someone could intentionally lie about having a medical condition to avoid a minor inconvenience, and feel like they were a decent and moral person.

I DGAF how you feel about the mask issue, lying and claiming a condition you don't actually have is disgusting, regardless of circumstance.

Either don't wear the mask and take the heat for something you believe in, or suck it up and wear it.

Claiming a fake medical issue FOR ANY REASON is some ghetto lowlife BS.

Life is more than hard enough for people with legitimate medical disabilities without people faking it and causing businesses and government agencies to tighten their rules because so many people are claiming medical exemptions they don't actually qualify for.

We've disagreed on various things over the years, but this time I have to question your fundamental character.
1C8CCEE4-9E29-4235-B7EF-B5E493F452E7.png

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
If......, there is a worldwide conspiracy towards a one world government, unleashing an extremely virulent virus inside the ventilation system of a major airport would do the job nicely.

The blueprint for such a virus already exists online and is available to the general public thanks to gain of function research.

I’m willing to bet that much of the world would surrender their freedom for the promise of effective antivirals and a vaccine.
F4AA6A96-9AA0-43C6-B71C-40BA5D8166AB.png
202BA041-385A-4736-84F8-4A739A52F75A.jpeg

·
Cheese?
9,451 Posts
So you are anti-transgender? They claim something which they are not medically.
You've clearly chosen to stand firmly on the side of the guy who lies about a medical condition he doesn't have.

Why is that?

81 - 100 of 115 Posts