close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Virgin Islands?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by canis latrans, Mar 31, 2012.

1. canis latrans

canis latrans

TSA's vacation post got me thinking about it, too.

thinking about visiting the Virgin Islands...tell me about your experiences there and your recommendations.

thanks.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. failsafe

failsafe

It's been too many years since I visited the Virgin Islands for my info to be of any use..
    We went to St. Thomas 3 years in a row..Driving on the wrong side of the street was an experience..Very mountainous..Great views from atop them, particulary from " Top of the Mountain"..
    If there were a non-stop flight, I would go again..There isn't..I am too old to have to fly all day, just to get there...

You might go to the Trip Advisor forum for the Virgin Islands..
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/

3. zhix

zhix

After being visitied by Chuck Norris, they are now called The Islands.

4. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

St thomas has an incredibly high crime rate. There was a recent shooting at one of the main tourist beaches and a child was killed in the crossfire.

5. jknight8907

jknight8907

Been to the British side many times, never cared to go to the USVI. Virgin Gorda is very nice. Laid back, slow island with a few great resorts.

6. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I've got work in St. Thomas. I wouldn't vacation there personally. Plenty of beach right here in Florida.

7. canis latrans

canis latrans

appreciate the input.

we were thinking more BVI.

8. 50 Cent

50 Cent

Yeah I heard their crime - like Puerto Rico's - was kind of a problem. Goes for both the US and British sides.

9. mingaa

mingaa

Yep-BVI is the way to go and Virgin Gorda has great beaches and snorkeling. My dad used to live on Tortola and the views from the mountains are great. Roadtown has enough going on to keep it interesting, good food, nice people. Half the island is arid. The rest more tropical with a ( small) rain forest park. There are few bars like Bomba's Shack in the world. It appears to have been constructed from debris that washed up on the beach. Super funky with good simple food (roti-mmm) and good rum any way you like it! The US side is an over run tourist trap by comparison.

10. mingaa

mingaa

There are some lawless Rastas on both sides (more general BGs on US) but in years of visits I never had a problem. Take street smarts like anywhere. I'm an adventurer and did often get well off the beaten path. Just stay away from anything that looks like a ganja patch!

11. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

I got married at the Wyndham Resort on St. Thomas in 2008. Had a good time, but really didn't like leaving my weapons at home. Luckily, the most threatening encounter I had was an iguana who didn't want to get off the putt putt course.

12. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Tortola and Virgin Gorda are very nice. I lived on St. Croix for ten years and wouldn't recommend it or St. Thomas. It changed drastically after Hurricane Hugo. In the 6 months after Hugo over 10,000 white residents moved off the island. The BVI natives are totally different than the USVI natives. They are friendly, don't have a chip on their shoulder, and don't expect the government to support them. Hope this doesn't get the thread locked but it's the truth.

I haven't lived there in 20 years so they may have changed but I doubt it.

13. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

We are doing a cruise out of PR this summer with a couple of VI stops. Never been to the Carribean so it should be fun.

14. 50 Cent

50 Cent

Hopefully the cruise ship will steer well away from land! :rofl:

15. ray9898

ray9898

St. Thomas and St. Marteen are two of my favorite destinations.

16. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Glad I can create inspiration outside of guns on this site :supergrin:, the Virgin Islands was on our short list if we take the week long trip :wavey:

:50cal:

17. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Or catch on fire like the last RC did.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  18. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Of all the things I worry about, those are not on the list. :supergrin:

19. fwm

fwm

Second that. BVI use American dollars as their official currency. Virgin Gorda, Bitter End Resort. Free sailing lessons if you want.

Tortola, you can rent some nice villa's up on the mountainside. Pussers, in Georgetown is a nice place.

Wouldn't stay at St. Thomas or St. John. Much crime, police alleged to be involved in much of it. Most of the tourist shops are owned and operated by foreigners. (Meaning that the locals no longer own any business, including taxis. All the profits go back to India and the locals just get poorer, leading to the high crime rates.)

20. badge315

badge315

I worked in St. Croix for two weeks shortly after Hurricane Marylin in '95. I have to say, it wasn't the worst place I've ever had to do surveillance...a tropical setting with sunny beaches, warm turqoise waters, setting our own work schedule, $80 per diem...but the natives were probably friendly to my collegue and I because we were posing as utilities repairmen. :supergrin:

Having said that, it would not be my first choice for a Carribean vacation that I was actually paying for.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012