Vietnam movie binge

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Grabbrass, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Over the last week I've been watching some of the 'classic' Vietnam war movies. So far I've watched The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, and Full Metal Jacket. I think the most recently I watched any of those was 20 years ago, minimum. So this was kind of a 'fresh look,' and I tried to view them only as cinematic works. My thoughts:

The Deer Hunter: way too long. hunting scenes were obviously not in Pennsylvania. Meryl Streep looked great. I mean really. I've never thought she was attractive at all, but in this movie hnnnggh. But overall, the film drags and is only redeemed by the POW Russian Roulette scene. What a scene though.

Apocalypse Now: not even a Vietnam movie really. Wouldn't have been worth watching without Robert Duvall. Dennis Hopper sucked and Martin Sheen was more wooden than Brando. Great, great visuals.

Platoon: best of the bunch as a war movie, by far. Seemed like the only movie that was even somewhat grounded in reality. Main characters all did a great job, including Charlie Sheen. Cinematography least dramatic and thought-out of them all though.

Full Metal Jacket: First half of the movie (Parris Island) is 10x better than the second half. Gunny was amazing, so purely in character but we know why. The second half of this movie is a real disappointment - there are classic scenes like 'Me So Horny' but the storytelling of Joker's experience during the Tet Offensive is uneven and not climactic enough to measure up after the first half of the film.

What else should I watch??

TBO likes this.
  2. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Hamburger Hill is on the Vietnam movie Must-Watch list.

We Were Soldiers is too.

fx77, KBKEITH, TeaDub and 4 others like this.

3. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

You need to see if you can find a Movie called "the Seige of Firebase Gloria". Very well done cheap flick. Gunny Ermy(RIP) is in it, and he didn't pull any punches in it.
    "We were Soldiers Once" is so far the best, IMHO.
    "Hamburger Hill" is very well done, and the technical director was actually there.
    Also, see "Apocallypse Now, Redux" All of the cut out scenes are put back. Much better movie.
    Of course, one of my favorites is "the Green Beret" w/ John Wayne. But it is more of a recruiting movie then anything else. It was filmed at Benning, and some of the scenes are authentic, the briefing Trooper at the first of the Film is SSG Barry Sadler(RIP), the Troopers giving info at the Press briefing w/ Aldo Ray were actual Special Forces, and the scene where the troops are running in Formation behind John Wayne were real, as well. Been there, done that. One other thing about the "Green Beret": It was the first feature movie done about Vietnam.
    Interestingly enough, the on post housing scene in "We were Soldiers" is real, as well. Filmed at Benning too, and I have been down that street, long ago.

fx77 and Grabbrass like this.
  4. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I think We Were Soldiers is the best of the bunch.

TeaDub, Ofc.JL, n2g and 1 other person like this.
  5. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Watch the extended version Apocalypse Now, Redux.

And I enjoy the TV series, China Beach.

G19Tony, Grabbrass and Caver 60 like this.
  6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

What about the one with Michael J Fox?

And don’t forget Good Morning Vietnam.

Or Boys of Company C and see the Gunny when he was just a Staff Sergeant.

There’s an obscure Australian movie called The Odd And Angry Shots about Aussie SAS.

Ofc.JL and Grabbrass like this.
  7. DADoser

DADoser

84 Charlie Mopic -
    Little known and low budget. A Vietnam LRRP vet I know from my church recommended it to me years ago - said it was very true to his experience. One can get nit-picky with critique - i.e. differing headgear among characters not realistic for a LRRP team - but used as a movie device for character identification/differentiation.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096744/

fx77, fnfalman, Ofc.JL and 1 other person like this.
  8. pblanc

pblanc

"Casualties of War" is the movie with Michael J. Fox and Sean Penn with a cameo appearance by Dale Dye. I think it was the first movie that John C. Reilly was in.

Not my favorite Vietnam movie but worth watching.

"Platoon" and "Apocalypse Now: Redux" are my favorites. Third would probably be "Full Metal Jacket".

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    fx77 and Grabbrass like this.
  9. PBCounty

PBCounty

I'll never get the Deer Hunter love. I thought it was just a boring mess. I guess I missed something.

Caver 60, TiminOhio and Grabbrass like this.
  10. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

Got another one for you, and I think it is about very early Vietnam, about American "Advisors"(Operation BrightStar-Special Forces) and their counter parts. Burt Lancaster as an aging out SF trooper. Pretty good movie.
    "Go Tell the Spartans"
    Hard to find, and it has been years, but I enjoyed it

Grabbrass, fnfalman and tjpet like this.
  11. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Heaven and Earth. Directed by Oliver Stone and starring Tommy Lee Jones and Hiep Thi Le.

During the Vietnam War, a Vietnamese woman struggles with life hustling on the streets, where she comes face to face with those involved in the conflict around her. (Based on a true story)

Grabbrass and DADoser like this.
  12. tjpet

tjpet

"Go Tell the Spartans" is an excellent movie about the early US years in Vietnam.

Grabbrass and Ofc.JL like this.
  13. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Green Dragon with Patrick Swayze, Forrest Whitaker and Hiep Thi Le.

The story of some Vietnamese refugees as they first arrive at Camp Pendleton in the United States as the Vietnam War ends in 1975. (Based on a true story and the start of Little Saigon in Orange County 30 minutes away) :drillsgt:

Grabbrass and fnfalman like this.
  14. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

Also, the "Tour of Duty" TV series. First season and second season were really pretty good. Then the Hollyweird Writers strike back then ruined season three, and when they went back to work, season four was dark and depressing.
    But all in all, not a bad series. I got real busy and missed most of season 3 and 4. Years later, I found the whole series on DVD. Ordered it, and watched the whole 4 seasons back to back. Not too bad a show.

Grabbrass, BigBluefish and fnfalman like this.
  15. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I remember working on a construction crew back when The Deer hunter and some of those movies first came out and most of the guys were my age and had been in the military during the war back when they had the draft and we were talking about a couple of the movies and I remember one guy said, "Hell, If I had known back then that I could have just watched the movies years later, I wouldn't have bothered going to the war!"

Grabbrass likes this.
  16. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

My dad served with the 101st in Vietnam. He rotated out before HH , but liked the portrayal. His favorite scene was the General's trailer shot full of bullet holes.

His favorite scene in WWS was the interaction between Sgt Savage and Plumley. He said the 101st had some very senior NCOs with multiple combat jumps from WWII and Korea. They were very intimidating.

Grabbrass and ZX12R like this.
  17. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

Aldo himself was a WWII or Korean war frogman, IIRC.

Grabbrass likes this.
  18. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

I thought this was another Pho thread. my fav Vietnam movie is "101 ways to wok your dog", it's a cult classic.

Grabbrass likes this.
  19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It was a well made movie but that chick was a true Cong.

Grabbrass likes this.
  20. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

That is a good movie. I asked my dad about the accuracy.

He said it was good except for one thing.......

.....when the bullets started flying, the camera usually hit the damn ground!

The ending was pretty chilling when you realize that's the only time we ever even see the cameraman.

Grabbrass likes this.