Glock Talk banner

Vietnam and combat question

7215 Views 69 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  Speleothem
Is it possible to have joined the Army in April 1977 and have served in Vietnam and see combat?

I thought we left in April 1975 after the fall of Saigon.
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

· Limp Member
1,264 Posts
I have run into people like this and if you ask to see their DD214,(they sometimes don't even know what it is!), they simply tell you that the missions they were involved in were so highly classified that you will never see anything about them in their files.

In other words-it sounds like this guy is probably full of it.
I've heard that one more than once. :rofl:

Reactions: tuica and Rotn1

· NRA Life Member
75,662 Posts
Is it possible to have joined the Army in April 1977 and have served in Vietnam and see combat?

I thought we left in April 1975 after the fall of Saigon.
It is not. Absolutely certain of that.

For the record I know plenty serving now who found that same spot in Iraq and Afghanistan...amazing isn't it.:whistling:
Even the ones who were there often lie about it. On my first deployment, one guy in my detachment (36 people), with prior deployments in Psyops, showed up wearing a CAB he had never been awarded. On my second deployment a guy in the detachment (30-something guys) showed up wearing a Ranger tab that he was not entitled to. He was prior Air Force and it never made sense to me how he had all of his badges and tab, but he played the "I don't talk about it" card (which means "fake" 99% of the time). I felt like something was off about him from day 1 and that instinct never fails. Didn't find it out until we were in Afghanistan and a First Sergeant was looking at his records for some reason. As far as I know, nothing serious ever happened to him. In later pictures on Facebook I still see him wearing jump master wings, a CIB and air assault wings, so maybe he was entitled to those, or not.

· NRA Life Member
75,662 Posts
-Viet Nam (he said he was there in 77)
-Grenada was in 83
-Desert Storm 91

I'm trying to figure the 4th possible war having 22 yrs. served (1999 maybe 2000 he was done). Did I miss one? The next war was after 9-11-01.

Maybe he counted desert shield as a war? dunno. The conflicts in Bosnia and Kosovo? Beats me...
Panama was in '90.

· Registered
2,909 Posts
-Viet Nam (he said he was there in 77)
-Grenada was in 83
-Desert Storm 91

I'm trying to figure the 4th possible war having 22 yrs. served (1999 maybe 2000 he was done). Did I miss one? The next war was after 9-11-01.

Maybe he counted desert shield as a war? dunno. The conflicts in Bosnia and Kosovo? Beats me...
Panama 89-90.

Somalia '93.

So unless Vietnam was specifically mentioned, a person serving 22 years could have had "combat" service in Grenada, Panama, Desert Storm, and Somalia. Throw in some time in Beirut in 82-83 or some Ops that were done in Haiti and they could have several options.

· Registered
35,064 Posts
Well, he's apparently lying if claims to be a vietnam combat vet. You could ask him to see his dd214.

Do you suspect he never served at all, or he is just lying about vietnam to pretend to have served in a war or something?
Better yet, ask him if he qualified with the DD-214. 🤪😉

· Registered
2,342 Posts
I haven't looked at my DD-214 and probably 20 years. But I seem to remember that it had enough personal identifying information that I would never show it to some random stranger who didn't have a need to see it.
I received two different versions. One with SSN, one without.

· Registered
35,064 Posts

· Registered
35,064 Posts
You are absolutely right. I snagged it at random from a stolen valor site. Picture corrected...
You do realize he was legit, right? He was special forces.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
You do realize he was legit, right? He was special forces.
I met the man some 25 years ago, before he went bushman looking for Eric Rudolph. He’s a little nutty, but a genuine warrior.

I just literally spent 5 seconds copying and pasting a random pic. It’s replaced with a genuine drittseck.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts