Glock Talk banner

Vietnam and combat question

7216 Views 69 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  Speleothem
Is it possible to have joined the Army in April 1977 and have served in Vietnam and see combat?

I thought we left in April 1975 after the fall of Saigon.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Got Glock?
13,775 Posts
Most likely the answer is no.....

· Registered
1,546 Posts
UMMMM seeing as how Phnom Penh, Cambodia fell in mid-April '75, Saigon fell to the NVA the end of April of '75 I don't see how someone who came in in '77 could in anyway be a Vietnam Vet. Even the Mayaguez which is considered the last battle of the war was in mid-May of '75. Participants in Operations Frequent Wind (Saigon) and Eagle Pull (Phnom Penh)and the Mayaguez Incident were awarded the "Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal", not the Vietnam Service Medal (at least that is what went into my personnel file).

· NRA Life Member
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The person that I am speaking of also has told others that he has been in four different wars. He said he did 22 years.

I dont really see him that often and would hate to think he is lying, but I just get a weird feeling something isn't right with this guy.

Is there anything I could ask him about only a vet would know?

Maybe it is just me.

· NRA Life Member
75,664 Posts
The person that I am speaking of also has told others that he has been in four different wars. He said he did 22 years.

I dont really see him that often and would hate to think he is lying, but I just get a weird feeling something isn't right with this guy.

Is there anything I could ask him about only a vet would know?

Maybe it is just me.
Well, he's apparently lying if claims to be a vietnam combat vet. You could ask him to see his dd214.

Do you suspect he never served at all, or he is just lying about vietnam to pretend to have served in a war or something?

Reactions: fx77

· Got Glock?
13,775 Posts

· Limp Member
1,264 Posts
Maybe if they were in Dam Lye. I know quite a few who had gone there.
Damn, I missed that little gem on my first read. I must be gettin' old. Very nice indeed. :rofl:

Reactions: tuica

· Registered
1,215 Posts
-Viet Nam (he said he was there in 77)
-Grenada was in 83
-Desert Storm 91

I'm trying to figure the 4th possible war having 22 yrs. served (1999 maybe 2000 he was done). Did I miss one? The next war was after 9-11-01.

Maybe he counted desert shield as a war? dunno. The conflicts in Bosnia and Kosovo? Beats me...

· Registered
1,867 Posts
-Viet Nam (he said he was there in 77)
-Grenada was in 83
-Desert Storm 91

I'm trying to figure the 4th possible war having 22 yrs. served (1999 maybe 2000 he was done). Did I miss one? The next war was after 9-11-01.

Maybe he counted desert shield as a war? dunno. The conflicts in Bosnia and Kosovo? Beats me...
Doesn't matter. He doesn't sound too credible, anyway.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Well, he's apparently lying if claims to be a vietnam combat vet. You could ask him to see his dd214.

Do you suspect he never served at all, or he is just lying about vietnam to pretend to have served in a war or something?
I have run into people like this and if you ask to see their DD214,(they sometimes don't even know what it is!), they simply tell you that the missions they were involved in were so highly classified that you will never see anything about them in their files.

In other words-it sounds like this guy is probably full of it.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts