close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Video your next hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Roger C, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Roger C

Roger C

Just a plug for a friend of mine who is doing video work for hunting trips. He does great work (I have a DVD of our last Russian boar hunt) and is even training folks in videography. Here's his site: www.adventuresforever.com

2. noway

noway

hard to get video done on my hunting trips, but I did take a fellow GT'er on a guide hog hunt and he capture some good short seconds of a dog hog hunt .

Here it is, no sounds but a few last seconds of a hog life.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Noway,

That hog didn't seem all too bothered by the dogs. I know out here javelina put up a pretty good scrap with dogs. My friend's airedale has the scars to prove it. Had they already tired it out or just one of those things?

4. noway

noway

Yeap, the dogs & hogs interaction helps in getting the attention off the hunter.

2-to-3 barking yelping dogs makes the hogs loose attention from the real "predator" with the gun. ;) This allows you time ( like in the video ) to draw and shoot the hog. Here it was kinda tight from the brush and the fact that I didn't want to hit a dog by accident. The dogs and hog where at a standing charge and going back and forth. If you look closely one dog inbetween me and hog, one in the backdrop and one to the slight left-front of the hog. All 3 could easily have been a innocent bystander but I trust my shooting skills and that the fact that this hog stood still and didn't run away or charge at any of us or dogs. If I would have miss the hog the killing of the dog would not be something I wouldn't want on film ;)

During this hunt one of the 3 dogs was scraped around the neck and crown of the forehead from either the brush or hogs,but for the most part they where in good shape and just tired.

btw: that particular hog tusk where very small.

We took a total of 3 that day & that was the middle size one. The last one, was a big old mean sow that needed about 3 injection of lead to her diet and the last being a coup de grace to the head all shot by another hunter using his G29. This one was shot with a g20 loading with my own handload Bear Tooth Bullet 220gr and the hog weigh less than 100lbs.

Running video on my still of hunt where the activitiy is always moving would be a very serious challenge. A 2 man Blind would be no problems, but I don't hunt that way nor want the extra issues with bringing a camera and such into the field. I have friend that films his deer hunts from a tree-stand and simply clips his camera to his rail, & gets some great kills on film. He has about 3 movies he made and the last one had about 20mins of footage as he sat and waited for the deer to get closer and closer to his position. ( He was hunting over fresh corn at a baited site ).

P.S> I also had no clue that I was being filmed and on camera

5. Roger C

Roger C

Here piggy! :)

I like being able to re-live the hunt afterwards, and let everybody know I'm not embellishing the story _too_ much each time I tell it... ;)

I could see where hunting with dogs would be pretty tough to get on video. We did a spot & stalk, and it made for some good watching. Mike got some good shots as we were heading out looking for the hogs, even zoomed in on a couple of sheep that were around 200 yards away.

6. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy