Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 629 Posts

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Ohhh man..........

It's going to be one of those that you can see whatever you want to see.

Why would the father and son even think he was a "burgular". Did they see stolen items? What was their suspicion?
Was the jogger dressed for jogging?

It couldn't just be because a black guy was running down the road?

Did the story not say "former or retired LEO"; so not just an average garden variety father and son passerby.
Why order someone to stop at gunpoint over someone elses property, unless you are 100% sure. Even if you are sure call the active POPO.

What I see is an unnecessary incident and unnecessary killing.
What a mess.

·
NRA Life Member
66,481 Posts
I'll be damned. I honestly expected to find out the guys who shot him were stretching the truth a little on him attacking and trying to take the shotgun, but that seems to support their story 100%. I wonder what was going through the dead guy's mind that he decided to circle back and attack, instead of running away when he dodged to the right behind the truck.

EDIT: I watched it with the sound off, so I didn't realize a shot was apparently fired before he attacked, according to Fox News. That changes things. Somebody may be headed to prison.

EDIT AGAIN: Wow, Fox News outright lied to me. No shot was fired before Arbery attacked and grabbed the shotgun. I jumped to the conclusion I was wrong, because I watched without sound and Fox told me:
The black man seems to attempt to run around the truck, and the moment he clears the vehicle, a shot rings out.

A brief struggle ensues in what looks like an effort to control a shotgun, and another two shots are heard, according to the video. The runner staggers away and collapses.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/georgia-grand-jury-review-recommended-in-fatal-shooting-of-ahmaud-arbery

That was just a plain old lie. That's the way I'd expect Vox or the Huffington Post to falsify the story.

I see the family's press release included the standard prom picture, so no surprises so far.

Looking it up on Facebook, there are posts with the video and right under it people arguing that he didn't attack the guy with the gun.:upeyes:

Interesting fact from the local news, the guy in the back of the truck, father of the guy with the shotgun, is "Brunswick District Attorney’s Office investigator Greg McMichael." That's not going to help calm things down.

·
NRA Life Member
66,481 Posts
Ohhh man..........

It's going to be one of those that you can see whatever you want to see.

Why would the father and son even think he was a "burgular". Did they see stolen items? What was their suspicion?
Was the jogger dressed for jogging?
I believe they saw him leaving a house, but that information isn't included in most stories on the case. I couldn't find it just now.

I found this, which I'm going to guess is edited to be as unfavorable as possible.

Greg McMichael, who can be seen in the video standing in the back of the truck, called 911 at 1:08 p.m.

Greg McMichael: “I’m out here at Satilla Shores and there’s a black man running down the street."

911 dispatcher: “I just need to know what he was doing wrong, was he just on the premises and not supposed to be?”

Greg McMichael: “And he’s been caught on the camera a bunch before at night. It’s an ongoing thing out here.”

McMichael later told police he suspected that Arbery was burglarizing houses under construction in the Brunswick neighborhood.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/georg...erges-of-fatal-shooting-of-unarmed-black-man/
My bet is on the press fanning the flames. I seriously doubt a guy in law enforcement just said he needed the police because "there's a black man running down the street."

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
I believe they saw him leaving a house, but that information isn't included in most stories on the case. I couldn't find it just now.

I found this, which I'm going to guess is edited to be as unfavorable as possible.

My bet is on the press fanning the flames. I seriously doubt a guy in law enforcement just said he needed the police because "there's a black man running down the street."
Bren,
Thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
I'll be damned. I honestly expected to find out the guys who shot him were stretching the truth a little on him attacking and trying to take the shotgun, but that seems to support their story 100%. I wonder what was going through the dead guy's mind that he decided to circle back and attack, instead of running away when he dodged to the right behind the truck.
Maybe he figured that two white guys with guns chasing him in a pick-up truck were going to lynch him and he had nothing to lose by going for the gun. You know what they say...run from the knife, charge the gun. And I don't see how they could even claim self-defense, since they had no lawful authority or probable cause to detain the victim at gunpoint; they were the aggressors.

·
Just some guy
627 Posts
I don't care if they did see him leaving a house. They were not LE and had no business grabbing their guns and chasing him down. I live about 40 miles from there and know exactly where this happened. It's a pretty ******* neighborhood. I've followed this pretty closely and all I've heard it's that they "think" he "may" have been the guy burgling houses under construction. Google Sasser and Brunswick if you want to see how crooked they are up there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Just some guy
627 Posts
Maybe he figured that two white guys with guns chasing him in a pick-up truck were going to lynch him and he had nothing to lose by going for the gun. You know what they say...run from the knife, charge the gun. And I don't see how they could even claim self-defense, since they had no lawful authority or probable cause to detain the victim at gunpoint; they were the aggressors.
One of the first things they told responders is that they were trying to perform a citizens arrest. Gomers.

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
One of the first things they told responders is that they were trying to perform a citizens arrest. Gomers.

Yeah, I read that too. I don't think that's going to fly; here's the GA citizen arrest statute:

A private person may arrest an offender if the offense is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge. If the offense is a felony and the offender is escaping or attempting to escape, a private person may arrest him upon reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion.

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-17/chapter-4/article-4/17-4-60/

·
NRA Benefactor
7,443 Posts
This article says he was a recently retired investigator and a police officer for 7 years before that.

"Greg McMichael worked more than 20 years as an investigator with the Brunswick Judicial Circuit District Attorney’s Office, retiring on May 31, 2019, said Mark Spaulding, spokesman for the district attorney. McMichael also served seven years with the Glynn County Police Department, police spokesman Brandon Kondo said."

https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/l...cle_1eee7339-8ef5-5d4a-bb6a-6f91c84d6fd9.html

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Based on the limited information/video available, I don't have a clue as to what transpired, who was legally in the right, or even what the actual underlying belief was of the players involved in this matter.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Media catchphrase for summer 2020: 'JWB - Jogging While Black'.

You heard it here first.
Well whatever happened it is a very bad look when you have a white man standing in the back of a pick up bed appearing to “hunt” a young black man fighting for his life against another armed white man.
This is totally F'd from an optics standpoint. The court of public opinion is going to run wild with this unless and until clear evidence is available

1 - 20 of 629 Posts