Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Outcast Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can video ram on a laptop be increased? I have a Dell Insperon 9100 w/Radeo 9700 video at 64mb ram. I find that it is very slow on serious gaming (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, for examply, which, according to spec sheet, shouldn't work at all on this thing...), even though it is a P4 2.8 with 2gb Corsair DDR ram. Advise me, O Wise Ones!

Thanks, Fred

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes it can :D installing new hardware in a laptop is a wee bit trickier than in a desktop model but it can be done. i would recommend dropping it off at the store though and have their techs install it. alot of stores will offer free install if you purchase the hardware there...BestBuy comes to mind. your other specs sound schweet, though! just get that gfxcard and game on.

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
More video RAM is pretty much only useful for 3d games.For normal videos and DVD type stuff it won't make any difference except for the extra cost and in a laptop may cause higher battery drain and make more heat.

·
Outcast Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? A whole new graphics card then? Hmmm, I'll admit that possibuility didn't occur to me. I've had all the user-friendly covers off this thing at one time or another (and some on a monthly basis to clean the desert dust out...middle east...) and never saw anything that I thought was a graphics adapter. I've seen the HD, RAM, processor, and wireless/LAN cards. I guess a full strip of the case is necessary for this then? Should probably go to a Dell guy to preserve the warrantee then. Bummer. Thanks for the insight!

Fred

·
Outcast Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha! Battery life? What's that? :animlol:When new, this thing only had about a 45 minute life; now it's at about 5. It's more a desktop machine, anyway, always on the cable.

As you stated, it's the gaming I'm interested in. She works at a killer level on everything else!

Thanks again.

p.s. I tried the Dell battery recall thing very shamelessly to get a new battery...no go. New one's just too expensive. They only offer an upgraded one with a longer cycle, but at the sacrifice of the sub-woofer in the current battery pack. Bummer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Build a new computer. I'll be more than happy to do it for you.

My computer specs;
4.2 gig proccessor
4 Gigs ddr2 system ram
1 gig video ram Running on 2 cards in SLI
I get outrageus framerates from games and it all cost me about 800$

NEVER NEVER buy a computer pre-built, what a rip-off. not only does it cost 3 times as much, but they come with all sorts of crappy pre-oaded software.

·
Outcast Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, but how do I get it to fit in my bug-out bag?:shocked:

I know you can "build" your own laptop, but I don't think that's a real viable option as of yet, is it? Besides, it wasn't available at all when I bought this one well over two years ago. Also, I'm not into replacement yet.

At any rate, the last desktop I built (three years ago?) was an over-clocked Athlon T-bird 1.4 that was watercooled, had 1 gig of DDR, three optical drives, four Seagate Baracuda drives (two in a raid configuration), Gigabyte GA7dx4 mobo, 19" (big at the time) flatscreen, a power supply that was huge (whose name I can't remember) and included two illuminated 80mm fans. The case was a full-tower Alienware front slider, that I modded for plexi sides and top, using UV cold cathodes throuout, UV active coolant and wiring. Entirely entertaining to observe, extremely noisy (what with the bigazz Tornado fans on the Ford Aerostar heater core, and I guess five other assorted blue LED fans), and unreliable, All this to run MS Money in style!:supergrin:

Fred

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Dont bother upgrading a 9100, a 128mb video card is the max it will take. really not to much a difference between the 2.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Originally posted by Tiloke

My computer specs;
4.2 gig proccessor
4 Gigs ddr2 system ram
1 gig video ram Running on 2 cards in SLI
I get outrageus framerates from games and it all cost me about 800$

:thumbsup: heh, sure dude

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Originally posted by IH8Q8

I know you can "build" your own laptop, but I don't think that's a real viable option as of yet, is it? Besides, it wasn't available at all when I bought this one well over two years ago. Also, I'm not into replacement yet.
Only the most daredevil and experienced techophiles build their own laptops. I'm sure it can be done, but I don't know anyone that has. -dok

·
Outcast Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by m2hmghb
Dont bother upgrading a 9100, a 128mb video card is the max it will take. really not to much a difference between the 2.
OK, I'll bite...where can one of these adapters be found? In case I wanna throw away some money....:thumbsup:

Thanks all for the replies!

Fred

·
Registered
8,711 Posts

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
No, you can't upgrade video RAM on any cards that you'd actually want. Some really ancient cards could do it...

The i9100 has a discrete video card. Here is the 128MB MR9700 card. Not cheap. At some point the i9100 seems to have come with a MR9800 card that should also work if you can find it. Here's the instructions on how to R 'n R the card.

You might be able to find one through Dell's parts line at 1-800-357-3355. They have MANY things you can't get on Dell.com.

·
Cool Cat
12,111 Posts
Simply amazing! :thumbsup:

·
Outcast Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW!:thumbsup: I like it. Seems simple enough. I've replaced the keyboard on this unit, and the hinge cover via warrantee parts, so that is no mystery. I'm sure the keyboard bracket should be easy. However, you are right about the price! I guess it's a small price to pay against the option of replacing the entire unit. I was thinking about the Radeon 9800 too, I shall investigate that. Thank you all for your help!

Fred

1 - 18 of 18 Posts