Video: PFI Optics Rapid Ranging Reticle VERY NEAT!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Fireman1291, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

Here is a quick teaser on the PFI scope review we have been working on. We still need to collect more footage for the video but I wanted to share this with you. What this scope line allows you to do is place the shoulders and head in the brackets on a human target (or IDPA target) and it is calibrated to give you the correct range. Then hold for wind if needed and BAM! It was CAKE shooting this system at various distances. Take a look! Oh and I included links in the video description if you have questions. Enjoy!

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Technology does move on.

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

Wake me when an optic has a laser range-finding device, and adjusts it's reticle automatically and instantaneously.

4. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

You mean like tracking point???

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

Cool. Just wish I could afford it.

6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

7. plp

plp

I was wondering when someone was going to figure how to mount a low cost EDM on a scope.
    I've been actively involved with them since they hit the market for land surveying and engineering since the early 1980's. I've watched them go from a 30 pound single use item that required a car battery for a day of use, to units that fit in your hand and run off two AA's. Go to any big box and someone has a small handheld for under 50 bucks that is good to about 50'.

The problem has always been reflectivity. With survey grade you need a reflective prism to give a strong enough SNR for dependability. When reflector-less became available, it was only good to plus or minus one inch repeatability.

I thought then, plenty good enough for a rifle scope. I'll have to look into the Burris, although I suspect in the next couple of years we are going to see every manufacturer come out with something similar.

As to the OP, everything old becomes new again. I had a Leupold made in the 1930's that had vernier marks graduated in the same manner, and found a handwritten log book with the rifle showing what loads required what holdover.