GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Pretty sad that she does not know how to use the AR she has with her.
I'm guessing, but she was clearly shaken up and could only use one hand. It would have been way easier to chamber a round one handed with a magazine loaded, though.

With hindsight being 20-20, she should have dumped the AR sooner and went back to her sidearm, which she eventually did. The combination of being shaken by being hit, communicating with dispatch and handling the suspect all at once definitely slowed her decision making process which is understandable. Dispatch should have shut up when she said she had the suspect stopped and just rolled more units.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Let us know how you handle getting shot while still managing to get the job done! She had serious wounds to her hands and couldn't make her hand work. Absolute kudos to her for dedication to catching the perp when nobody would fault her if she just stayed put after getting shot. Its called valor!
Absolutely. She get's shot, has the balls to pursue and stop one handed, and still passed good info to dispatch.

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
The parents sure weren’t too stressed out that their son had just shot a LEO.
What do you expect the parents to do? I mean the guy sat there for 15 minutes as he was told to do. When asked why he was sitting there he [paraphrased] said that the officer that was shot told him to sit there. He also complained of being thirsty and sitting there was painful. So, in reality he did as he was told.

The parents probably were not processing it well.

Also notice he complied with their request to move guns.

I am not sure what I would be doing if my kid shot a cop. I know better than to say anything. But I would be pissed at my kid. But them parents tend to defend kids 9to other people) no matter what. Then I would be questioning "why". I mean, as far a situation that people dont prepare themselves for, this is probably one of them.

Also stress can look different based upon who is experiencing it.

The dad seemed to have some level of confusion (sign of stress).

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
After watching the video, the first thing that came to my mind is "I would stop and offer assistance any which way possible". But how welcome would that be? If approaching from behind, officer probably would not appreciate it, especially if under high stress. Would not want to put myself between her and the target or down range of target. Hard to approach from the side on busy highway, so what would be the right thing to do? Not helping an injured officer would not be an option for me. What would be the right approach?
Maybe blocking the traffic lane? But that can be dangerous too...

Reactions: Lt. Donn

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
To many arm chair quaterbacks assuming what and why she did anything !!
She was reacting to being shot and trying to get the guy who shot her.

Stress / pain probably means she was reacting and relying on ingrained training more than thinking or making rational decsions.

Overall, giving the situation, I would give her an A. She is the kind you want on your side.

Reactions: DrVlad

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Just a question that maybe the LE can answer...

Why isnt there a mode on the radios that are hands free radio inside the cruisers?

It seems there are situation were two way hands free communication could be really helpful.

I mean every modern car has Bluetooth for cell phones...

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Khufu I have nothing to say about how the officer reacted . matter of fact if you read my earlier post I think she did better than most officers would have done . MY post was toward some members here but perhaps your comprehension skill are lacking to if your read my first post on this tread !!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Just a question that maybe the LE can answer...

Why isnt there a mode on the radios that are hands free radio inside the cruisers?

It seems there are situation were two way hands free communication could be really helpful.

I mean every modern car has Bluetooth for cell phones...
Two way radios don’t have the capability for more than one person to talk on the same channel at a time. Once you press that Mike button you talk. Anyone else tries to talk at the same time, it won’t be heard.

The technology has been there for phones for years, but I haven’t seen it for radios. If it does exist, it’s probably more expensive than any agency would want to pay.

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Two way radios don’t have the capability for more than one person to talk on the same channel at a time. Once you press that Mike button you talk. Anyone else tries to talk at the same time, it won’t be heard.

The technology has been there for phones for years, but I haven’t seen it for radios. If it does exist, it’s probably more expensive than any agency would want to pay.
If a phone can do it. A radio should be able to do it. It could be done using two different frequencies.

It seems hands free went an officer wanted / needed would be worth the price.

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Even with current phone technology you’d have to have a mute/unmute button because everyone would essentially be on a party line.
They dont need to be hands free all the time. It could go hands free with flip of a switch. It is like a gun. LE dont discharge them often, but when needed, they are lifesaver.

·
Registered
19,936 Posts
They dont need to be hands free all the time. It could go hands free with flip of a switch. It is like a gun. LE dont discharge them often, but when needed, they are lifesaver.
There are some around. Press the emergency button and it opens the mic for a minute for you. Unfortunately no one else can talk. They can only hear you.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
If a phone can do it. A radio should be able to do it. It could be done using two different frequencies.

Phone service in that part of NM is not so great either.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts

The technology may be there, but a big deterrent is justification to a bean counter sitting behind a desk somewhere.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
It’s barely half an hour west of Albuquerque, it ain’t the boonies.
For 5 years I was on a dedicated run from Seaboard Foods (pork plant) in Guyman, OK to the container ports in Oakland, Ca meeting ships for export to Japan every week. We connected with I40 in Tucumcari and followed it West until it ended in Barstow.

In my experience, there were a lot of areas in NM including the Laguna area where calls dropped or weren't possible depending on the terrain.

While it may not seem like the "Boonies" 30 some miles west of Albuquerque, there are a lot of off ramps that truck drivers at night have taken trying to find a place to sleep only to end up on a dirt goat trail leading to a settlement on a reservation.

It was not at all unusual to see a tow truck trying to retrieve one the next morning.

I left Seaboard in 2015 and leased my truck to a reefer company in SD, but I still hauled meat to CA (mostly So. Cal.) and tried to take loads back across I40 so I could also stop at home for a night or 2 in OK, until I retired and sold it in 2018.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
9,991 Posts
Maybe blocking the traffic lane? But that can be dangerous too...
I am very familiar with that area of I-40... after slogging through ABQ folks see open hwy and put the hammer down...posted 75, most doing 85+... Very dangerous to do anything other than keep driving...

·
G43 Fanboy
1,651 Posts
I was wondering: Why the federal charges, instead of state charges? At the end of the video the officer handing a copy of the warrant to the fato was telling him that FBI would take over.
Any idea?

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I was wondering: Why the federal charges, instead of state charges? At the end of the video the officer handing a copy of the warrant to the fato was telling him that FBI would take over.
Any idea?
Federal charges are usually more severe and it is against the law to lie to the FBI.

·
G43 Fanboy
1,651 Posts
Uh.... I know the differences between the federal and state charges. What I wonder is why in this particular context, the fato was charged with federal crimes and the FBI would take over when he was arrested by the State Patrol for apparently violations of state laws.... The only federal violation I can think of is a felon in possession of a firearm.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts