GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Until last year when we got a new repeater our handhelds could not be transmitted on. They were for listening only. You had to go back to the car to talk.
That’s how it was for us until we got a statewide 800mhz system back in ‘98 or ‘99.

alot of state police don't call in traffic stops. Their dispatches don't have enough radio operators for it. CHP is one. They never called in any when I would work with them.
Most days I make 20 to +25 stops a shift. Now that we have in car computers (2012), the only time I need to talk to a dispatcher is to confirm a warrant.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pretty sad that she does not know how to use the AR she has with her.
One thing you may not be considering is the immense amount of stress she is going through by being shot and returning fire. Yes there are some issues that may clear up with training (in shootings you resort to what you do on the range, and other training you have done). So give her a break.

Corey

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
How much does her injured hand factor in? That is to do with loading/charging the AR.

Plus she was driving during much of it. I just skimmed through the long video, just saying, she was shot in the hand.

I wouldn’t of been as nice to any of them, out of the vehicle & cuffed.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Indeed! She was trying to chamber a round and drive with injured hands!

·
NRA Life Member
64,212 Posts
I'm not a PO but this was scary, and then the way responding units treated the shooter and his parents was commendable in today's climate.
It was "legal" - "commendable" seems like a strong word. Most likely the world would be a better place without them.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Although she was under stress, she's lucky to be alive. She freAked out and could not control herself. She never loaded her AR, and why didn't she use the radio on her. She's just lucky she didn't need to re engage him she would of died.
When you get a chance to watch the entire video again . . . you might notice that on multiple occasions she is asking, "Can you hear me?". On most of those occasions both of her hands are busy with tasks other than keying the mike on her vehicle radio set.

This indicates to me that she was trying to talk via her body radio.

Almost every time right after she asks the "can you hear me" question . . . you will notice that the next words that she speaks . . . she has the mike from her vehicle radio in her hand.

Therefore, I assume she was not able to transmit until she had a hand free to hold the mike on her mobile unit radio.

That would have added to her stress level because she was trying to do so many things at once (such as drive, un-rack and make ready her rifle, lookup the license plate on a video replay on her laptop, stop the bleeding from her hands AND talk on the radio).

Edited to ask:
- Why is everyone assuming that the bad guy still had rounds in his hand gun or a mag in his rifle(s)? Seems to me that everyone is too quick to criticize the officer . . . and assume she would have died in a re-engagement . . . when we do not know the facts regarding any of HIS weapons. Maybe he had thoughts regarding "suicide by cop"? Who knows his motive or motivation?

·
Supreme Member
3,684 Posts
Is there any follow-up to this? Do we know why the guy opened fire?

I found several articles about the incident, but they were all written right after it happened and don't provide any details about his motivation.

Reactions: Mister Clean

·
NRA Patriot Life Member
7,491 Posts
Great video. Thanks for posting it. I just wish that some of the cop hating a holes out there would watch this from start to finish. She is one tough police officer.
PS. some of you critical of her actions need to get out of your parents basements.

Reactions: Mister Clean

·
Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
5,754 Posts
I hope She would have had the presence of mind and sense of humor to tell the shooter that “maam” youre going to have to wait for another female officer to search around “her” breasts for anything. “But Officer I am a male.” “I’ll note that in my report that you claim to be a male.”

Twice I did that and got away with it both times.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Is there any follow-up to this? Do we know why the guy opened fire?

I found several articles about the incident, but they were all written right after it happened and don't provide any details about his motivation.
I have been searching for follow-up stories, too.
I am also surprised to not find anything pertaining to a motive.

What I HAVE BEEN finding, are a lot of very poorly written, ill informed, if not downright wrong stories.

This is particularly noticeable after watching the entire video. Almost every article that was posted locally and/or nationally got some of the critical details incorrect.

Some examples:
- Incorrect info on who was in pursuit of the white GMC pickup after the shots were fired.
- Incorrect info on who made the stop.
- Incorrect info on where the pursuit ended.
- Incorrect info on who made the arrest.
- Incorrect info regarding the officers wounds.
- Incorrect info on how many weapons were found in the GMC pickup versus the ones that were secured at the scene in his parents vehicle/camper.
- Several different stories regarding the reason that she had decided to pull him over in the first place (e.g. he was following a vehicle too closely, he was speeding, she was making a drug task force interdiction, etc).
- And so on . . .

Edited to add:
- I have only found one article that supports this claim, so it may or may not be true, but it has been reported that when the officer was at the hospital . . . they treated her eye wound . . . and they removed her bullet-proof vest. That was when they discovered that a bullet had apparently struck her vest . . . and grazed her neck. But that same article did not mention the wounds to her hands?!?!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The parents sure weren’t too stressed out that their son had just shot a LEO.
The mom never said a word other than that she was hot (flushed) sitting in the cab of her truck.

The dad uttered one sentence regarding his son, "Stupid kid".
I guess he oughta know?

·
Registered
290 Posts
After watching the video, the first thing that came to my mind is "I would stop and offer assistance any which way possible". But how welcome would that be? If approaching from behind, officer probably would not appreciate it, especially if under high stress. Would not want to put myself between her and the target or down range of target. Hard to approach from the side on busy highway, so what would be the right thing to do? Not helping an injured officer would not be an option for me. What would be the right approach?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
After watching the video, the first thing that came to my mind is "I would stop and offer assistance any which way possible". But how welcome would that be? If approaching from behind, officer probably would not appreciate it, especially if under high stress. Would not want to put myself between her and the target or down range of target. Hard to approach from the side on busy highway, so what would be the right thing to do? Not helping an injured officer would not be an option for me. What would be the right approach?
Good questions.
I have been thinking along the same lines.
Especially before they stopped the traffic and I watched all of those vehicles just motoring on by.
Some did not even bother to move over to the innermost lane of traffic.

Of course when the dad pulled up behind her and stepped out of his truck . . . and she had absolutely NO IDEA who he was or why he was there . . . her first response was to order him to get back in his truck. When he decided to walk toward her . . . she ordered him to GET on the GROUND!

·
NRA Life Member
28,675 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Of course when the dad pulled up behind her and stepped out of his truck holding a rifle . . .
Dad did not step out of the truck holding a rifle. That was Laguna PD officer.

I think if anyone stopped to help she would wave you off like she tried to do with the Mom&Dad(Go! Go!...)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Dad did not step out of the truck holding a rifle. That was Laguna PD officer.

I think if anyone stopped to help she would wave you off like she tried to do with the Mom&Dad(Go! Go!...)
Yes! You are correct. I am wrong about the dad stepping out of his vehicle with a rifle in his hands.

I watched the video again.

At 9:05 I got confused since you can just barely see the Laguna PD cruiser off to the edge in the video.

You are correct that the person that you see stepping out of a vehicle with a rifle was another officer (Laguna PD).

The way that she was shouting and the shakiness of the video at that point - I got confused about about who she was issuing her orders to.

Nevertheless, my comment still stands. She did not seem to welcome any unknown strangers walking towards her ?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
She didn't do any of that. She didn't have the plate number until she pursued and caught up to him.

I haven't been a cop for many years, so maybe things have changed a bit. But I was trained to call in the location, plate number, and vehicle description for every traffic stop or motorist assist before I even approached the vehicle. Also trained to touch the vehicle upon approach.
Same here....standard procedure I've used for decades.
<Padre>

Reactions: Kalmah
61 - 80 of 104 Posts