Glock Talk banner

Video of NM Traffic Stop Gone Bad

5K views 103 replies 44 participants last post by  gamecocks 
#1 ·
Reactions: Pandaz3
#3 ·
Makes me wonder what they find while searching his PU. There had to be a reason he shot at the officer.

Reactions: n2g
#5 ·
I think the officer did well in keeping her calm and chasing him down. There were several tactical mistakes, one being the unloaded rifle as was already mentioned. Being in a high stress situation like that, mistakes come easy and are paid for with a high price.

Whoever it was that bandaged her hands needs some more schooling. The wrap he used is used to keep a sterile bandage in place, not as a primary wound covering. It will leave strings and particulate in the wound.

I wish they would have said what the charges were that were on the warrant from the Feds.

Reactions: n2g
#6 ·
Quijibo Hum , wonder how well you would do after having both hands shot , and taking one bullet to her chest plate and under the stress of the moment maybe for the first time at this level !!

Firecop203 Go to the You tube video as a link is on the video and click - Show More - Charges are listed .

#8 ·
I know the officer was in pain and shook up but no magazine in her AR! THAT was scary.

She was just lucky she didn't get shot in the head and lucky he didn't start shooting when she was pointing her unloaded rifle at him. She drew the bolt back but no mag. Did I see that?

Yep,that bandage wrap was pretty bad by any standards.

I'd wager she is re-thinking her career choice.
I honestly think the number of police officers there are that are absolutely minimally adept with firearms would probably be staggering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Heck of a detailed video and a good group of officers . Hope the female officer has no lasting medical issues but she seems to be a strong woman . Note - her Ar15 was unloaded ! Federal charges might put him away for the rest of his over sized life . Stupid young man .
Could it be policy that it was unloaded in the rack?

#12 · (Edited)
It could be worse.

And least you think it is just females,

And look at the chicken wing on this one ( plus the bad magazine ).

#13 ·
I know that my eyesight and hearing aren't very good anymore.

I simply did not see a portion of the stop wherein the officer called in the license plate and touched the rear of the vehicle before approaching the passenger side of the vehicle.

I was not privy to her thoughts. The old mantra is to stay in the fight. However . . . One of the potential take-aways is to think for a second or two before pursuing. The perp is gone. He was your immediate threat. The adrenaline is flowing. You have a good chance of going into shock. Your situational awareness and analysis is important. You might not pursue. Making that decision might save your life.

#17 ·
I simply did not see a portion of the stop wherein the officer called in the license plate and touched the rear of the vehicle before approaching the passenger side of the vehicle.
She didn't do any of that. She didn't have the plate number until she pursued and caught up to him.

I haven't been a cop for many years, so maybe things have changed a bit. But I was trained to call in the location, plate number, and vehicle description for every traffic stop or motorist assist before I even approached the vehicle. Also trained to touch the vehicle upon approach.

#39 ·
Laguna is about 35 miles west of Albuquerque, NM.

#23 ·
She didn't do any of that. She didn't have the plate number until she pursued and caught up to him.

I haven't been a cop for many years, so maybe things have changed a bit. But I was trained to call in the location, plate number, and vehicle description for every traffic stop or motorist assist before I even approached the vehicle. Also trained to touch the vehicle upon approach.
alot of state police don't call in traffic stops. Their dispatches don't have enough radio operators for it. CHP is one. They never called in any when I would work with them. They have had officers killed and didn't know it until they didn't show up at end of shift

#61 · (Edited)
Until last year when we got a new repeater our handhelds could not be transmitted on. They were for listening only. You had to go back to the car to talk.
That’s how it was for us until we got a statewide 800mhz system back in ‘98 or ‘99.

alot of state police don't call in traffic stops. Their dispatches don't have enough radio operators for it. CHP is one. They never called in any when I would work with them.
Most days I make 20 to +25 stops a shift. Now that we have in car computers (2012), the only time I need to talk to a dispatcher is to confirm a warrant.

#33 ·
Here is why I wouldn't make a good criminal so maybe someone can help.

I get pulled over for speeding. (and my parents are following somewhere behind). Maybe I have drugs in my truck. Maybe its just speeding. Who knows.

But no matter what I am worried about being arrested for, in what world does shooting at or shooting a cop make my situation better?

What is the logic behind "if I shoot at the cop, my situation will improve"?

#31 ·
Pretty sad that she does not know how to use the AR she has with her.
Let us know how you handle getting shot while still managing to get the job done! She had serious wounds to her hands and couldn't make her hand work. Absolute kudos to her for dedication to catching the perp when nobody would fault her if she just stayed put after getting shot. Its called valor!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.