Video of Gen4 G19 takedown lever activating on its own.....

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Nakanokalronin, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin

Saw this video over at AR15.com and had to post it here. Someone explain whats happening here or did I just feed the Gen4 hate fire? :whistling: I hope not but this is bizarre. I had to go do the same thing with my Gen3 G19 and TLR-1 just make sure everything was ok and it was. :phew:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYqOc_Fld5Q

2. vmann

vmann Controller

that sucks...

3. mr peas

mr peas

Whoa! That is weird. I was going to go with the TLR-1s for my Gen4G19, but was going to test it 1st at the LGS. I wonder if anyone else here can replicate it?

4. TwentyNizzo

TwentyNizzo

He's clearly limp wristing the gun there

5. Snarlingiron

Snarlingiron

If you install the slide lock in the reverse position (very easy to do), this will be the result. If you look at the part it has one and only one area that has a "dent" formed into it. This has to be installed up and facing the rear of the pistol. The front of the barrel lug rests in this depression, and if it is installed correctly, it is virtually impossible for this to happen.

One of the initial safety checks on an assembled pistol is to try to pull the slide lock down with the slide in its normal forward position. If you can pull it down, it is installed incorrectly.

6. TXNAV8R

TXNAV8R

And he was shooting the wrong brand ammo

:rofl:

7. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin

Are you talking about the slide stop/lock? It looks factory on his G19 and I don't see what the slide lock has to do with the take down levers that activate themselves ONLY when a light is attached. I see your a Glock Armorer but I just don't see how one part is affecting the other when an accessory is put on.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  8. mr peas

mr peas

I think he meant the pair = take-down lever, I should have said that when I sent an email to the person who made the video, hope he reads THIS my post, LOL. :whistling:

9. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin

He has pics up of the internals and says everything seems installed correctly and the slide lock (guessing he means the take-down levers as well) has plenty of upward pressure on it.

The thing is,why would it ONLY do it with the light attached? I was wondering if it has anything to do with the TLR-1 being a screw down type of light and the fact the dust cover on the Gen4s are thinner due to the bigger Gen4 face and may flex easier.
    [​IMG]

He only hand tightens it in the vid but the fact there is less material up front may cause more flexing than a Gen3.

Here are the pics of the take down lever:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ETA: Above are picture he posted of his gun.Compared to my Gen3 G19, my take down lever looks the same so its installed correctly.

10. ijacek

ijacek

A slide lock installed backwards, does not provide the sufficient lock up of the barrel to the receiver. Even in battery, the slide lock when installed backwards, is very easy to pull down, releasing the slide, a simple trigger pull's all needed to separate the two.

[​IMG]

When reassembling [putting back] the slide lock into the frame, one has to make sure that the smooth surface is facing towards the muzzle/front of the firearm.

11. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin

Thanks for the info. I'm used to guns without takedown levers. When I think of slide lock I think of slide release/catch. Seems the slide lock is installed correctly according to the pictures.

12. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin

13. Carnage

Carnage

Man take a look at that dent :wow:, It's reversed, that's the problem

14. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the bad photos but I took this 5min ago. It looks the same as mine from a 3rd gen. Focus on the slide lock indentation though since there will be some frame differences due to different generations and models, same caliber though.

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Can anyone duplicate this with a TLR-1?

16. kjdoski

kjdoski

I tried it with my Gen4 and couldn't replicate the problem. Sure looks like the Slide Lock is installed backwards to me on the photos...

17. COM165

COM165

My 36 used to do that after racking the slide about 5-6 times (no light). It would jump right over the slide lock (which was facing the correct way) Glock sent me two new slide lock springs which did NOT correct the problem.

I have duplicated this with EVERY 36 that I have ever held (numerous). I have gone into several random gunshops and duplicated it on every brand new 36.

I got rid of the 36 and got a 30. Maybe it has something to do with the heavy slide on a thin frame?

Many have told me, I cannot get my 36 to do that. Once in my hands, after 5-6 racks it would do the same thing. A Glock Rep asked me why I was racking the slide so hard. In combat, under stress, during a reload, I am not going to worry about being gentle on my slide. I RIP it hard to the rear and let it go home.

18. 125K9

125K9

It's one of life's unexplained mysteries.....:dunno:

19. OmniscientX

OmniscientX

Maybe its because he's been shooting cheap ammo and needs to be shooting +P+ ammo? :dunno:

20. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

*deleted*