Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > Video of Bystander Saving LEO

Video of Bystander Saving LEO

1. I don't think this has been posted.

Kudos to the citizen, other than dropping his pistol like that.

2. I kind of liked the gun drop. Sort of like dropping the mic.

3. Why would you ever drop your firearm?

4. OMG...so many things to say...

1) obviously good on the citizen for helping

2) he may not have had to shoot the guy if the jackass recording the incident had offered to help the other citizen instead of playing youtube hero and screeching like a girl

3) our society today....the camera guy is surprised that you get shot when you're on top of a uniformed officer pummeling him...wtf

4) theres apparently 2 people there who aren't members of BLM

5. have you ever shot someone???

6. Thankfully, no.

Dropping the firearm makes it available to others, a very negligent thing to do. Always control your weapon.

7. dropping his gun:

I think the citizen did what he felt he had to do, but I don't think he was OK w/ shooting another person and was distraught, hence why he walked away and dropped the gun.

Obviously not a good idea to drop your firearm, and also even more so to introduce a live firearm up for grabs in an unsecure scene, but I think my above statement is why he dropped it.

No amount of training can really prepare you for actually shooting someone.

8. That civilian deserves a beer, many in fact. I'm buying.

9. Where's the unedited version

10. Beats me. tom. :dunno:

11. Because other cops are on their way.

ETA: Or, you work for Yeager and you are about to do a demonstration of how you can drop and grind a Glock into the ground. :whistling:

12. Probably a good idea not to be standing there holding a weapon when police are responding...I would unload and put it down, if I was thinking clearly.

13. Key point, thinking clearly. After just shooting a man, I don't think this guy was thinking clearly.

14. umm actually I think re holster would be most appropriate. The cop on scene (who was aided) clearly knows the shooter is a "friendly"...seems people think the responding officers are gonna show up and just start hosing down any possible threats

15. He didn't like long goodbyes.

He knew he wouldn't see that pistol again lol.

16. Frankly, no. I would lay it down and stand near to ensure no one else touches it.

This guy did a marvelous job of protecting those that protect us. Most that believe in law and order will stand by their police force. He who hesitates is lost.

17. Monday morning quarterbacking is alive and well.

18. ...because a ton of folks just have a gun in their car and don't wear a holster.

The answer is he was overwhelmed by the situation.

I suspect he could probably kick the bad guy like a kickball and end it.

19. Awesome. We need to see videos like this every day.

Kudos to the citizen, and kudos to the news fro actually putting something out there that is positive about gun ownership and carrying.
    Now, if they had only spent the five minuted to run the video through some stabilization software...

20. Add this to your list.

5) Russell had a handgun permit and won't face charges. WTF!

6) All the white men have been well trained to be spectators. Victory for BLM!

21. yeah, your item #5 was a pretty dumb statement by the media but do we expect any less?

22. This. Then the weapon is safe and secured on your person.

I view it more as a learning opportunity than second guessing the guys actions.

23. Why did he drop it? He seemed pretty distraught at that moment. It may be less than ideal to leave your loaded gun on the ground, but I'm not going to give him any crap for it - he didn't wake up thinking he was going to shoot anyone that day.

I don't know what I would do in that situation. In the comfort of my chair, I say I would just holster it, but I'm not under any abnormal stress at the moment. I briefly almost fainted when I saw my daughter's broken arm, bent in the wrong spot (she was 5 at the time). I chalk this up to similar behavior.

24. Oh, and ETA - maybe he just didn't want to have a gun on him, holstered or otherwise, when the rest of the police rolled up. I can't fault him for that, either.

25. When I first saw this story on the news, they said not a single 911 call was received prior to the good guy with the gun intervening. Disgraceful since at least two people had their phones in their hands recording the incident.

26. I read on another site that a LGS owner gave Russell his choice of any CC handgun in the store to replace the one that is now in evidence.

27. Good on him. I keep 2 of my primary carry pistols on hand just in case.

28. Don't cops, who are trained and know they may have to take a life, have to talk to someone after a shooting? I hope the dept. at the very least provides him with someone to talk to if he wants it. He was clearly overwhelmed by what transpired and I'd hate for him to be turned off from carrying.
    He did a terrible thing for a good reason and probably saved a life. Who knows what the dirtbag may have gone on to do had he been allowed to continue his attack and flee. The citizen should be recognized for rising up in a time where most people only raise a cell phone when someone needs a hand.

29. I think what a lot of people who are competent w/ guns doesn't realize is that I would guess majority of gun owners don't seek enough or an appropriate amount of firearms training...and even a lot of training still may not mentally prepare someone for killing another. I actually know someone who shot and killed an intruder, a couple yrs later he's still hung up on it.

Cops and military at the least are in an environment of where its acknowledged they may have to shoot someone, they're better mentally prepared for shooting someone just by simply talking about incidents that have occurred even if they weren't involved...the average guy who works at a desk probably doesn't have the conversation at the water cooler "hey man, if you shot somebody what would you do? your next action?".

An ample Amt of training prob would've kept him from just dropping his gun, however the mental impact likely would've been the same. Being a competition shooter, for example, prob doesn't prepare you to take a life, but your instinctive habits would've led to a better handling of the firearm after the shot.

That guy clearly didn't want to shoot the assailant, he gave ample opportunity for the assailant to stop. I suspect had the cop not instructed the citizen to fire that he probably would not have....Me? I'd have been up on target and as soon as I had a "safe" angle on the shot- bang bang. No warning, sorry- done deal...but thats me and Ive had different experiences than many and a lot of training to go w/ it. I probably would've covered the officer until suspect was cuffed and then re holstered, the officer now being primary security since he's back on his feet. And when everyone else showed up and if they wanted my weapon for investigative purposed Id remove the holster w/ weapon secured inside and hand it over as a package...but again, thats me

30. This man is a hero. The police officer looks gassed and clearly in danger. As to why the Civilian drops his weapon? Who can say.

31. Shooting and killing is not natural. It's very normal for someone to be in a state of shock after killing another human. That it, except GTers who would be unfazed by such an event.

32. I was taking the boys to Judo and saw a State trooper that was having problems.
    I pulled in front of his car and was going to help.
    But saw the trooper make one of the all time classic Judo throws.
    I just said IPPON and drove on.

33. If anyone could have seen this incident unfolding and didn't stop to help....

Shame on you, turn in your man card, you shouldn't be authorized to carry.

34. It's not a terrible thing to take a human life, unless it is an innocent life. This was not. We need to recondition ourselves to realize that murder is wrong, killing can be right. If he went into that shooting with the mentality that he would have to live with it the rest of his life, not only would he have to, he may even hesitate.

I work to deprogram myself of what I was taught by my father, that I would never get over killing someone. Hopefully, enough deprogramming on the front end will save a lot of strife on the back end.

Murder is wrong. Killing isn't necessarily a bad thing.

35. Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

36. mis-post. Wrong thread

37. Good job by the bystander. Same thing happened in Phoenix not too long ago. Bystander shot and killed suspect on top of an officer.

38. That toss puts what LEOs have to deal with, including the aftermath, into a light of sobering reality.

It's always easy to judge (re)actions in a video or come up with statements like "I'd so shoot that mofo!". But if the time ever comes, there won't be much feel-good kicking in, no matter how justified it was.

39. If you are going to accept responsibility to carry a gun, you should be mentally prepared how to properly handle yourself and the gun after you use it.

40. I feel sorry for the hero.

He will replay and relive this moment forever.

I hope they offer him counseling.

41. If I was there I would have picked up the guys gun and then used it to take the phone away from the guy closest to the incident. If you have time to video a fight with the police (instead of helping) you should have the extra 0.6 seconds it takes to move the phone 90 degrees to video in landscape mode.

42. Hero. His black life truly matters.

43. And how does one mentally prepare themselves to take a human life? How does one "Train" for that emotional aftermath? If you've got it down, I know the Army and Marines are ready to pay you BILLIONS for the solution, because even our best trained troops often have trouble with handling this.

The civilian did good. He handled himself well and pulled the trigger when he had to. If you want to fault him for what came next, you're also faulting a hell of a lot of the best trained soldiers who have ever picked up a weapon, because MANY of them go through the same sort of post-trigger distress, and no small number do so while the gunsmoke is still in the air.

44. If you cannot figure this out you should not be carrying a gun.

45. You're a badass.

46. I have seen many instances of motorists driving around a uniformed cop rolling around on the blacktop with a drunk and they will actually blow their horns as if to say "Hey get the fruk outt'a the way, your holding me up". Its rare in my experience when John Q has the balls to "jump in" (the media has most people scared chitless to get involved).......I have seen dog catchers and rent-a-cops come to the aid of a uniform but its rare that main stream citizens even react - 50% will call 911......I've seen big burly men scream like girls when the SHTF.....most young men today are psyched in high school against "violence" - to educators its taboo its called "Bullying "

47. Why because I have taken the time to understand how killing another human would affect me? My family? And recommend others do the same? Yeah, that makes me a real badass.

48. I'm pretty certain the shooter was a black guy (I don't think he was ever identified), he probably thought his life as he knew it was "over", especially if his identity was plastered all over the media, given the climate today is there anyone here that thinks he'd be accepted as a hero by the BLM population ? I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get served with papers just to see if the municipalities insurance carrier will fork over $ (Lawyer gets one third PLUS expenses)

49. You have no clue of what you speak. The best trained soldiers on the planet often have trouble with this, but you've got it all figured out?

Riiiiiight.

50. People have different brain chemistry, intelligence, emotional stability, resiliency...and a whole lot more words to describe variations of thoughts and emotions.

Guess what? 99% of folks aren't mentally preparing themselves for the aftermath.

They are at best, gaming out a few scenarios in which they "might" have to shoot and talking a good game about their mental preparation lol.

I may study PTSD inside an out (for instance) and may get a small benefit when exposed to trauma, but you know what? You're still susceptible....there's no pep talk that cures this stuff.

It isn't a tough guy trait, things wear on you when you're alone with your thoughts. I've spoke to guys 10 years after bad event and found out they had been seeing a counselor and were still shaken.

I wish I was more mentally tough, but understanding your own emotional limits allows you to realize when you need to reach out.