Video of Bystander Saving LEO

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Wyzz Kydd, Mar 17, 2017.

1. G29guy06

G29guy06

yeah, your item #5 was a pretty dumb statement by the media but do we expect any less?

2. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

This. Then the weapon is safe and secured on your person.

I view it more as a learning opportunity than second guessing the guys actions.

crockett and MB-G26 like this.

3. Schrag4

Schrag4

Why did he drop it? He seemed pretty distraught at that moment. It may be less than ideal to leave your loaded gun on the ground, but I'm not going to give him any crap for it - he didn't wake up thinking he was going to shoot anyone that day.

I don't know what I would do in that situation. In the comfort of my chair, I say I would just holster it, but I'm not under any abnormal stress at the moment. I briefly almost fainted when I saw my daughter's broken arm, bent in the wrong spot (she was 5 at the time). I chalk this up to similar behavior.

4. Schrag4

Schrag4

Oh, and ETA - maybe he just didn't want to have a gun on him, holstered or otherwise, when the rest of the police rolled up. I can't fault him for that, either.

happie2shoot likes this.
  5. FAS1

FAS1

When I first saw this story on the news, they said not a single 911 call was received prior to the good guy with the gun intervening. Disgraceful since at least two people had their phones in their hands recording the incident.

6. USMC61

USMC61

I read on another site that a LGS owner gave Russell his choice of any CC handgun in the store to replace the one that is now in evidence.

7. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Good on him. I keep 2 of my primary carry pistols on hand just in case.

8. jfost11

jfost11

Don't cops, who are trained and know they may have to take a life, have to talk to someone after a shooting? I hope the dept. at the very least provides him with someone to talk to if he wants it. He was clearly overwhelmed by what transpired and I'd hate for him to be turned off from carrying.
    He did a terrible thing for a good reason and probably saved a life. Who knows what the dirtbag may have gone on to do had he been allowed to continue his attack and flee. The citizen should be recognized for rising up in a time where most people only raise a cell phone when someone needs a hand.

9. G29guy06

G29guy06

I think what a lot of people who are competent w/ guns doesn't realize is that I would guess majority of gun owners don't seek enough or an appropriate amount of firearms training...and even a lot of training still may not mentally prepare someone for killing another. I actually know someone who shot and killed an intruder, a couple yrs later he's still hung up on it.

Cops and military at the least are in an environment of where its acknowledged they may have to shoot someone, they're better mentally prepared for shooting someone just by simply talking about incidents that have occurred even if they weren't involved...the average guy who works at a desk probably doesn't have the conversation at the water cooler "hey man, if you shot somebody what would you do? your next action?".

An ample Amt of training prob would've kept him from just dropping his gun, however the mental impact likely would've been the same. Being a competition shooter, for example, prob doesn't prepare you to take a life, but your instinctive habits would've led to a better handling of the firearm after the shot.

That guy clearly didn't want to shoot the assailant, he gave ample opportunity for the assailant to stop. I suspect had the cop not instructed the citizen to fire that he probably would not have....Me? I'd have been up on target and as soon as I had a "safe" angle on the shot- bang bang. No warning, sorry- done deal...but thats me and Ive had different experiences than many and a lot of training to go w/ it. I probably would've covered the officer until suspect was cuffed and then re holstered, the officer now being primary security since he's back on his feet. And when everyone else showed up and if they wanted my weapon for investigative purposed Id remove the holster w/ weapon secured inside and hand it over as a package...but again, thats me

10. F14A

F14A

This man is a hero. The police officer looks gassed and clearly in danger. As to why the Civilian drops his weapon? Who can say.

TBO and itisbruno like this.
  11. Detectorist

Detectorist

Shooting and killing is not natural. It's very normal for someone to be in a state of shock after killing another human. That it, except GTers who would be unfazed by such an event.

12. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I was taking the boys to Judo and saw a State trooper that was having problems.
    I pulled in front of his car and was going to help.
    But saw the trooper make one of the all time classic Judo throws.
    I just said IPPON and drove on.

TBO likes this.
  13. tic-tok-GLOCK

tic-tok-GLOCK

If anyone could have seen this incident unfolding and didn't stop to help....

Shame on you, turn in your man card, you shouldn't be authorized to carry.

14. Binge&Purge

Binge&Purge Making B&P Great Again

It's not a terrible thing to take a human life, unless it is an innocent life. This was not. We need to recondition ourselves to realize that murder is wrong, killing can be right. If he went into that shooting with the mentality that he would have to live with it the rest of his life, not only would he have to, he may even hesitate.

I work to deprogram myself of what I was taught by my father, that I would never get over killing someone. Hopefully, enough deprogramming on the front end will save a lot of strife on the back end.

Murder is wrong. Killing isn't necessarily a bad thing.

happie2shoot likes this.
  15. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

itisbruno likes this.
  16. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

mis-post. Wrong thread

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  17. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

Good job by the bystander. Same thing happened in Phoenix not too long ago. Bystander shot and killed suspect on top of an officer.

TBO likes this.
  18. crockett

crockett

That toss puts what LEOs have to deal with, including the aftermath, into a light of sobering reality.

It's always easy to judge (re)actions in a video or come up with statements like "I'd so shoot that mofo!". But if the time ever comes, there won't be much feel-good kicking in, no matter how justified it was.

datatech2550 and TBO like this.
  19. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker SuperOwner

If you are going to accept responsibility to carry a gun, you should be mentally prepared how to properly handle yourself and the gun after you use it.

itisbruno likes this.
  20. wnr700

wnr700

I feel sorry for the hero.

He will replay and relive this moment forever.

I hope they offer him counseling.

crockett likes this.