"Video* Dad Makes Son A Space Ship!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ULVER, Oct 31, 2010.

1. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Pretty cool to me :cool:... Just curious though. So you are sitting there at night, doing coffee and paperwork, when this blinking thingy lands in front of you in a tree. First thought? :wow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXkoIBDXwd8&feature=player_embedded

Next dad and son show up to retrive the "experiment." Any probs, or just a few questions? :supergrin:

2. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

What are the state and federal laws concerning this? Other than that it looks kind of neat.

3. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

As a pilot I don't find this too amusing at all.
    Just think what this thing would have done in my rotor or in the turbine!
    Or if a jet hits that thing at 36.000 feet. This could be catastrophic!

I would have to look up the laws, but there are a few he broke:
    1. He can fly in "Uncontrolled Airspace" his ballon.
    However, it has to be marked and registered!
    Also since he had no control where it would come down, it could have dropped right in an airport like Toronto or any of the airports in NYC!!
    2. Once you hit the 10.000 feet, you have to have a clearance.

While I am sure he did not have any insurance, it wouldn't cover him in the first place and the damages could have been in the tens of millions!
    I hope the FFA catches up with him!

4. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Wow I guess freedom really is not free!
    How does the Governement regulate what they do not own??

SWATBWANA just pawn in game of life.....

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  5. MarcDW

You are absolutely free to fly as high as you want, but just like driving a vehicle there are certain rules to make it safe for everyone.
    How would you like it, if your wife and children crash in an airliner because of such a "project".

6. Mayhem like Me

7. OmniscientX

OmniscientX

Seems awesome to me. Hopefully the FFA and whatever else leaves them alone. Seems a very low chance of striking and bringing down an airliner. Seems most crashes I've seen the past few years have been incompetent and/or drunk pilots. Maybe airplane interlocks? :)

8. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

May be illegal, even potentially dangerous but it was kinda neat to watch. Maybe more fathers should spend time like that with their kids.

Jack

9. MarcDW

Don't fly that high!
    And I am not saying that there is not a way to do this legally.
    If the father wanted to teach his son something, then he should have shown him it the right way.
    He should have filed the paperwork and got through the right steps with the FAA and made it safe.
    Specially in and around NYC where this guy is less then 100 miles away from, has one of the highest flight density in the US.

10. xtreme99

xtreme99 What's a Glock?

I'm sorry, I may be a bit uninformed here, but you guys really believe that a small plastic box like this could really take down an aircraft? That just doesn't seem right to me...

Regardless of the laws possibly broken here, I think the video is awesome, and something I would love to try.

11. MarcDW

Every seen the damage a cat or rabbit did to a car hitting this small animal at less or around 60 mph?
    Rabbits are maybe about 3-4 pounds.
    I would guess that this space camera is at least a pound.
    Airplanes in 30.000+ feet travel at around 350 to 500 mph.
    So yes, at this speed this space camera could bring down an airliner!

12. Tvov

Tvov

Very cool!

13. Mayhem like Me

and you know he did not get clearance ?

14. janice6

janice6

I'll bet this is on OBL's list of things to take down airliners with, terrorist balloons.

15. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Awfully cool stuff.

Not sure how you'd make that safe, only thing the FAA can do is tell you a good time to maximize your odds of staying out of the commercial air traffic corridors.

Randy

16. xtreme99

xtreme99 What's a Glock?

Yes, because airliners are made of urethane, fiberglass, and paper thin sheet metal...

17. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Its actually aluminum. Not a lot of armor plating made out of aluminum out there.

The problem is the energy in a projectile is proportional to the velocity squared, so getting whacked by the iphone inside that balloon would do some damage at 500 mph impact speed. Stuff getting sucked through the engines are liable to cause problems as well.

I mean, really, why are people afraid of bullets? They only weigh a few ounces.

Randy

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  18. MarcDW

That idea is as old as WW1. Britain as well as Germany had large balloons hanging around towns where air attacks were suspected.
    The hope was that a bomber would be caught up in the lines more then hitting the ballon itself.

What they do is devote an airspace to you and guide all traffic around that air space.
    Chances that the FAA would do that in this case on the other side is slim. There is so much air traffic in that region and the public interest of the balloon flight would be smaller then the air traffic.
    The FAA properly would have told him to do this in airspace less used like in the midwest or west.

19. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Not as pilot, but have been around turbine powered aircraft in the US Army. Let us look at the concept of FOD, (Foreign Object Destruction). One wrench less than the size of that IPhone that was in the Styrofoam container could take down an airliner, or cause significant damage by being inhaled in the turbines on an aircraft engine. In Vietnam, from what I was told by veterans from that era with whom I have served past that time in their lives, taking down our rotorcraft was as simple as shooting a net at the helicopter from a tree, or throwing something in front of the engine causing maximum damage to the engine.

Personally I have wondered if guards over the engine area would be possible to keep this from happening.

20. BlackPaladin

BlackPaladin

That project was beyond cool, it is amazing! Kudos to dad for the creativity as well as bringing the kids into it! As far as the legal aspect of it, while maybe some of the opposition is valid (and risking someone getting hurt would be terrible) I think the risk is too low to worry much. Now to build one for myself :)