close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Video Conferencing

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by StoneGiant, Feb 11, 2006.

1. StoneGiant

StoneGiant

Any recommendations regarding the best FREE internet-based video conferencing software for a laptop with XP?

I'll be using a Logitech QuickCam and 802.11 a/b/g card.

Thanks!

2. Jafo2001

Jafo2001

Skype has a very clear picture if the video side is the issue.

I have also had good success with Yahoo chat.

Microsoft has been pretty mixed. Mostly it seems to drop the audio and video both from time to time.

3. StoneGiant

StoneGiant

Thanks! I had thought that Skype was voice-only.

4. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

In my opinion, there are very few times when a video conference makes sense. A net meeting in conjuction with a conference call is usually plenty. The times where viseo conferences have been nice is where you have worked with someone remote for a ewhile and you would like to put a face with the person. I think a lot of folks just use them because they can.

-Lonnie

5. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

My above comment was for work stuff. Of course, its very cool to see a loved one. As Jafo stated, Yahoo's chat client is pretty good.

-Lonnie

6. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Let me bring this topic back to life...

Very interested in the clearest video, cleanest sound, with the easiest set-up and use...

We have family in Argentina that we talk to with MSN Messenger now, but when Oprah is talking to people the pic is huge and clear...

They're using 'Skype'...

Is Skype the closest to the Jetsons, or is it not much better than Messenger?

:beer:

7. FL2011

FL2011

Skype is probably one of the best ways to go about this. They have a "high quality video" feature but there are a few hardware requirements you'd have to meet to make it work (like a compatible logitech webcam, enough bandwidth, etc...) but it does look nice.
    http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/videocall/#high-quality-video

ooVoo is another video chat client that's fairly new. http://www.oovoo.com/Features.aspx?sc_lang=en
    Also has a high quality mode. A podcast/webcast I sometimes listen to uses it and skype to take listener/viewer calls.

Simplest way is of course to use whatever messenger they already have installed, whether it's Yahoo chat, MSN Messenger, or even AOL's instant messenger (AIM). But if they are capable of downloading and installing a program I'd say go ahead and setup Skype or ooVoo.

8. edcrosbys

edcrosbys

I'm gonna check some of the others out, but I've been using Google's video client and am happy with it. I'll play with some of the others to compare though...

9. edcrosbys

edcrosbys