close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Video card problems

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by chbix, Feb 20, 2007.

1. chbix

chbix

Ok so i need some help

I built my system, its got a p4 3.4 in there, 1gb ram, etc. My buddy built a new comp about 6 months ago and went to a PCI Express system so he gave me his AGP ATI x1600, was a good video card, better than the Geforce 6600 I had, so i put it in.

Now ive had it in for 6 months and no problems. Recently, while playing World of Warcraft (on semi conservative settings) the game will put the monitor into standby, the keyboard locks (meaning the numlock and caps lock keys dont change the lights) and then sits there. I can still hear the audio playing, and the computer stays on. The only thing to do is manually restart the system.

Now normally this occurs after the computer has been on for a while, and after it happens, if i turn the computer off, then back on again it will be fine the rest of the night.

I was thinking it was a heat issue, but simply turnin the power back on and off wouldnt work as the card or mobo wouldnt cool that fast. I was then thinking maybe a power issue. The card takes a seperate plug like that used to hookup a floppy drive or a fan, so I isolated that power cable so the video card is the only thing on there. Still did it.

So at this point I dont have any ideas. I thought the mobo might be going bad or soemthing, but I put my 6600 back in and it works fine. and has for the last 2 days.

I really like the x1600 and dont want to just trash the card but Im thinking it might be going out. Any other ideas?

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

did your friend overclock the card much?

he may have overheated it.

have you checked for the latest firmware updates for the card?

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I prefer Nvidia cards to ATI cards.A Gforce 6600 card should be able to about max out an AGP interface.For 3D I almosyt always get better results with Nvidia cards.ATI often seems a bit sharper for reading 2D text but 2D video can go either way.

4. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

It does sound like a heat issue to me. Download ATITool so you can check the clock speeds. You can also speed up the fans if needed. Good luck ;)

Oh...and I like ATI cards :p

5. Darkmage

Darkmage

So do I. I haven't used an NVidia card since the GeForce 2 MX.

It sounds like the card is heating up or the power supply is failing. They do go bad after a while. In any case, if you're not overclocking the video card, the existing heatsink should be keeping it cool enough for it to run WoW with no problems.

My recommendations:
    1) Download the latest Omega drivers for ATI cards. I think(!) they're at www.omegadrivers.net. If not, a quick Google search will turn them up. The Omega drivers are based off of official ATI driver releases, but they don't have the crappy Catalyst Control Center embedded with them, and they include the ATITool, so you can monitor the heat of your card.

2) Double-check the cooling performance of your video card's heatsink. This means making sure the fan is running and there is no dust build-up in your system.

3) Change the power supply out for a new one. If possible, borrow one from a friend. If you must buy one, I would recommend Seasonic power supplies, or possibly the OCZ brand. www.silentpcreview.com has a good list of power supplies. You won't need more than a 500W power supply and can probably get away with much less.

HTH.

6. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Good call on the Omega Drivers...I'm actually using those as well ;)

7. chbix

chbix

I will try the omega drivers and the tool to check the clock speeds and temps, i dont think he overclocked but not sure.

the power supply is only like 2 months old and is a 550watt so that is probably not the problem, thanks for the input!!

8. Glocker424

Glocker424

Its most likely a driver related issue. I would try using the latest drivers for that card before trying Omega.

9. malkore

malkore

I have burned up not one, but two video cards...and what you describe sounds exactly like a video chipset that's overheating.

make sure the fan on the vpu's heatsink is still spinning fast. if not, STOP USING THE COMPUTER until you replace the fan! You can destroy the video chip with heat in short order.

10. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Did you remove the old video card software before installing the new video card? Having both sets of drivers can confound game software and I have lock up my PC doing that.

I can't remember the names of the recommended tools that removes old drivers completely.

Does anyone think this is good software/driver removal tool?

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Driver-Cleaner-Professional.shtml

I usually backup the old hard drive onto a spare hard drive and wipe the old drive. Then I start over with a fresh OS load when I change hardware. Call me old fashioned.

:supergrin: :thumbsup:

11. Darkmage

Darkmage

I've used Driver Cleaner before. It's good quality stuff.

12. chbix

chbix

well the old geforce has been running strong with no issues, so for right now im good, once I get ambitious and have time I will try and figure out what is going on with the x1600.