close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Video card possibly fubar'd... :( Need suggestions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Redsnake, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Redsnake

Redsnake

I have an older Dell Dimension 8200... and I went to log in after work to check my home email and noticed that my monitor wouldn't come on. It was powered, but no screen/picture. So I hard booted and still nothing. All seemed to be well, but no picture.

I had this problem one time about 5 months back when we moved and was told to remove the video card and blow out all the dust and then plug it back in... and Walahhhh... the PC worked. I tried doing that same thing last night and nothing.

I also noticed that the cooling fan on the video card was very hard to spin by hand (it had some dust/dirt on it) and I'm not sure if this is normal. I also installed everything and turned my PC back on while the box was open so I could see if the fan was working or not. It didn't spin or make any noise (that I could hear). Is this normal? I would think it's toasted.

I've had this PC about ~ 4 years or so... not new by any means. Is this normal?

Also, any recommendations for a decent replacement card, that won't break the bank? Most of my home PC use is used for surfing the net, watching funny video clips and doing some spreadsheets and home banking. Not a huge gammer.

Thanks.

2. Tiloke

Tiloke Ummmm, Nope.

If the fan on the card is notworking than most likely its fried. Some brands have a built in "underclocker" that drasticaly slows down the proccessor on the card if the fan dies, doesnt sound like you have one of those.

3. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I would still plug in another monitor and make sure it is your card before ordering another one. You fan going out on the card isn't uncommon as they are built cheaply.

If it is your card I would check newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com to see what they have in your price range. If you aren't a gamer you can pick one up well under $100 that will suit you fine. Good luck ;)

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Depends on a lot of things, wether you need PCI or AGP among them. Most video cards will easily support what you want it to do. Once you figure out what slot you need, I'd go to TigerDirect.com or NewEgg.com, and look at any of the 128mb ATI or Geforce cards. They will likely more than meet your needs.

Here's a good one if you need AGP, even has TV out if you're so inclined.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1240073&CatId=0

IGF

5. Redsnake

Redsnake

How can I tell if I have AGP or PCI? I know my video card has 3 long narrow slots that it plugs in with... if this makes sense.

I took a couple pics of it last night when I had it out... but since my PC is inoperable... I couldn't download the pics. :(

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Sounds like it might be AGP.. It will be in a brown slot
    If its in a white slot, its a PCI video card.

An AGP card..

[​IMG]

Also, scroll down and look where it points out the parts, it shows what a AGP slot looks like, its usually a brown or tan color slot, roughly the same length as a PCi slot(usually white), and will usually be offset from the PCI slots just a bit.. The color varies depending on the MB, but those are the usual colors. It sounds like you have an AGP slot.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=686499&CatId=0

Edit: Sorry, had to edit the links a couple times to find what I wanted.

IGF

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The Dell Dimension 8200 has an AGP slot for the video card(graphics card).

8. Redsnake

Redsnake

WOW!!!!!! there are just too many choices.

Can someone in the 'know'... point me to a good quality video card, that can play modern PC games, nVidia, AGP w/ 128 or better MB... under $100... in the $60-$100 range.

Honestly... I don't know one brand from another. It's like a newbie here asking the difference between a Jenson and Colt firearm... :freak:

Thanks.

9. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

It is mainly just personal preference as for ATI or Nvidia...they are both very good cards. I would recommend a reputable company such as Sapphire though. Here is a couple of options:

ATI X1300 Sapphire Card

Well I was going to show a comparable Nvidia card but I haven't used the manufacturers before...this one I guess

eVGA GeForce 6600LE Nvidia Card

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I put that Saphire card in a PC I built a couple months ago. It works great. I thought it might be overkill for his minimal needs though. I've also used MSI cards before, and never had a problem with them(or their motherboards that I can recall)...

You'd be fine w/ any of the cards mentioned in this thread. Pick one, they are simple to install..

IGF