Video Card Help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by EAJuggalo, Jul 29, 2007.

1. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

First the requisite system information: Acer Aspire E380 AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+ 2.2ghz, 2GB PC5300 DDR2 Ram, 320GB HDD running Windows Vista Home Premium x86. So far the only thing I've upgraded on it is the RAM, went from 2x512 dual channel to 2x1G dual channel.

Now the questions, I'm looking to upgrade from the built in Nvidia 6150SE chipset to a dedicated Video Card, I don't run the newest games but do watch a lot of movies and pictures on it and wouldn't mind playing a few games that I know are coming out soon. I'm open to all suggestions. I'm looking to stay under $100 and DX10 is an absolute must.

Also since I upgraded the RAM to 2x1G would there be a noticable increase in either speed or power to put the 2X512 back in and not dual-channel?

2. jeanjvr

jeanjvr

If the motherboard has four memory slots and your 2X512mb sticks are the same speed as your 2x1024mb sticks you could gain some performance if you use the PC heavily.

With that ammount of ram and the dual core cpu, switching between games and the desktop just becomes so much smoother.

If it has four memory slots and you want to install the 512's, make sure that the 512's are installed in their own channel, same with the 1024mb sticks.

The slots are normally different colours to indicate the two different channels.

You could sell of the 512's and use the cash to get a better GFX card, but I'd install them...can never have enough Ram!

3. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

As long as the RAM is in pairs, you're getting the benefit - no need to match all four sticks. Check carefully which slots are paired, though - different mobos have different setups, and sometimes you're supposed to put the sticks in matched colors, and sometimes (less common) opposite colors.

The speedup from Dual channel isn't huge, but there's no reason to give it up just because you didn't install the RAM in the right slots.

I've got a Radeon x1900GT card, which can be found for right around $130, and it's a right speedy little card - one slot, and just fine for even very demanding games like Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander.

You're not going to make anyone green with envy with this card, but you'll also be able to do anything.

Oops - just noticed your requirement for DX10 (though not many games use it) - go to Newegg and see what they have on sale.

4. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

Thanks for all the suggestions, I ended up poking around newegg for a while tonight and almost purchased a card almost exactly the same as what D.C. posted. Then I found this card , I snapped it up. Hard to go wrong with an 8600 for 70 after rebate.

5. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Great deal, and an outstanding card for that $!

6. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

I received it and installed it today. Overlord runs like butter now, before it was very choppy to the point of unplayabliity. When I installed it it sounded like there was a jet engine under the desk, but once I got the newest drivers uploaded it I haven't heard it all night and it seems to keep the rest of the system cooler as well.

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

That card is an excellent deal.