close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Video card for Doom 3

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by havensal, Jul 13, 2006.

1. havensal

havensal Nozzle Jockey CLM

I am looking to upgrade my son's video card to play Doom 3 and other games. I am looking for a cheap one. I don't want to put to much into this incase I upgrade the whole system. I am not sure yet if there is any AGP slots or not. I haven't opened it up to see. Do PCI cards do as well as AGP? Thanks. :beer:

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Here are the minimum system requirements for Doom 3.

* A 1.5 GHz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500
    * 384 MB RAM
    * 2 GB hard disk space
    * An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better; or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better

In theory AGP is better than PCI but in Doom 3 you won't reach the limits of PCI.Finding a quality PCI video card is sometimes a bit more difficult than finding a good AGP card.These specs don't mention it but my AGP GeForce 3 card has 64MB of memory.Some of the newer games say they require at least 128MB of video memory.PCI video cards can be found with this much and more.I prefer the Nvidia cards over ATI cards.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

System Requirements:

Windows 2000/XP
    Pentium IV 1.5 GHz or Athlon 1500+
    384MB RAM
    3D hardware Accelerator Card Required – 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible
    64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers*.
    8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
    2.2GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows® swap file)
    100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
    100% Windows® 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
    DirectX 9.0b (included)

MULTIPLAYER REQUIREMENTS:
    Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported
    Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers
    LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers

Important Note:
    *Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipset listed here may not be compatible with the 3D accelerator features utilized by Doom 3.
    Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX 9.0b compatibility.
    This product does not support Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME or NT.

SUPPORTED CHIPSETS:
    ATI Radeon 8500
    ATI Radeon 9000
    ATI Radeon 9200
    ATI Radeon 9500
    ATI Radeon 9600
    ATI Radeon 9700
    ATI Radeon 9800
    All nVidia GeForce 3/Ti series
    All nVidia GeForce 4/Ti series
    All nVidia GeForce FX series
    nVidia GeForce

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Sombody gave me Doom 3 but I never tried it.I do have Quake 2 or 3 in Linux which I think is a lot like Doom but with lower system requirements.

This was the original thing I read in the press I thought I more video memory was required.

This also says 4 CD's.I was given Doom 3 and the version I have is on 3 CD's.

5. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

I have played the doom demo on three different computers of mine. Here are my observations.

Nvidia MX400 video card will not run doom3 at all.

My Nvidia FX5200 video card will run doom "smoothly" only on lower resolutions. (800X600 and under)and with MOST settings at LOW.

My Nvidia 6600 card runs doom3 well at most resolutions set to a mix of medium and (a few) highs.

You’re not going to be playing at High settings and maximum resolution using a Gforce 6600 card. If you want maximum quality you may want to consider a Gforce 6800 card or higher. Of course these are not cheep.

I play games with my daughter.
    Serious Sam 2
    Doom3
    Call of Duty 2
    The new tomb raider

Nvidia MX cards are now obsolete for gaming and won’t run new games

Nvidia FX5200 cards will run, but are reaching the end of life.

I think the minimum Nvidia card is the Gforce 6200. It’s the cheapest card they have that will still give you decent live expectancy.

As for where to buy, I recommend the internet. You can find cards for less than half what local stores will charge you. For instance I find MX440 cards in a local store selling for around $90.00. You can get the same card from Newegg.com for $20-$30. I plan to get a 6200 card from them next week, and will get their $40.00 version. It’s well over $100. Here at best buy. (Different brand, but big deal.)

K

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

havensal,

It's very important to realize that a machine that runs DoomIII with all settings maxed will play games released a year from now very poorly, if at all.

Tell me this: is it a better deal to spend $200 on a vanilla 6800 that'll barely play DIII, and be forced to upgrade again to a $300 card when DoomIV comes out?

Or would it be better to buy a $300 card NOW and have some future-proofing insurance?

I bought the $300 card. YMMV.

Sadly, many people looking to save money by upgrading are shooting themselves in the foot.

The CPU, RAM and frontside bus speeds can and WILL throttle the best video card back dramatically if they are not of recent manufacture.

Let me know what the CPU and RAM specs are and I'll help you to understand what it can and cannot do.

Best regards,

Eric

7. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I agree with Fast here. Be nice to see your system specs and see if it would truly be worth getting a card for it. While the grapics card is very important...if you are bottlenecked in another place the game isn't going to run smoothly :(

edit: Also the newer cards are very power hungry so a new power supply may also be needed :(

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Yup, Video card is only 1/4 of the battle. If you have a 256mb video card, but only 256mb of System Ram, well, the game prolly won't run to well.

Post your system specs...

IGF