Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Dixie Rebel
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:alex:

The approach is bad enough, but I thought he was never going to get that plane stopped in time!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a51_1296488085

And a very controlled taxi turn at the very last! WTF! That looked insane! :dunno:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've flown to Tegucigalpa several times. After every landing, the passengers would clap and cheer. The pilots that fly there have to receive special training from what I am told.

·
Helicopter Nut
7,762 Posts
I bet that pilot flies into that airport several times a day. I have seen many go arounds because of bad crosswinds.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
I'm not a pilot but his wheels didn't touch ground until halfway down the runway! He was way long on getting down and that's what caused his fast turn at the end when he ran out of runway. He's lucky ... I'm unfamiliar with the airport and why the steep turn coming in, but had he gotten his tires on the runway way nearer the beginning he'd have had no trouble landing much smoother.

·
Registered
421 Posts
that look like he floated half way down the runway he was probably a little fast and should have gone around. You should always land in the first 1/3 of the runway and if the runway is short no further then your planed touchdown point usually the touchdown pads (the big white boxes panted on the runway).

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Looks like he had a fairly high sink rate as he went over, then ground
effect made him float down the runway...

·
TelecasterJones
229 Posts
Looks like it worked out ok. :supergrin: The runway is 6,100' and about 3300' above sea level in tropical heat, so that makes it high density altitude, i.e. very short for jet airliners. Here are the approach plates http://va-transaero.ru/files/charts/mhtg.pdf

The large white rectangles on the runway are the touchdown zone, which he sailed way past. Too fast an approach, didn't bleed off speed quick enough, but I don't know how possible that is in a 737.

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Bet he was a Navy pilot at one time. :whistling:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I about crapped myself when the camera panned to show the lines and the runway.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'd say he got lucky. Where I work it's a mandatory go around if we aren't down in the first third of the runway, he was well beyond that. Southwest tried that a Burbank several years back and it didn't work out to good.

Here's another one at the same airport. He actually lands a little short, I don't fault him though, short runways get exciting. Ideally, we aim for the big white blocks towards the beginning of the runway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3s8VYt8uyo&feature=related

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I always liked these landing videos.

My favorite is the one about 1:40, and the last one.

He just said "screw it"!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am a private pilot with commercial, Single, multi and instrument ratings.

My take on the landing is it was a routine landing. The video was made with a telephoto lens and that makes everything look shorter and closer.

Crosswinds will cause sides to get air but braking will continue along with throttle & prop adjustments.

Note in the video that the pilot was able to make a left turn onto the taxiway without having to turn back on the runway so he did not even make it to the apron. That runway is now 7,000 feet long and that length will accomodate some major jets. The mountains causes problems but the pilots are also able to request a straight in approach.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
He landed a little long.

But the approach looks like every approach I've ever been on into TGU.

I had a friend who would just couldn't hack it and if he had to go to Honduras, he'd fly into SAP and then drive -- four hour drive and, frankly, driving in Hondo is scarier than flying anywhere.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I am a private pilot with commercial, Single, multi and instrument ratings.

My take on the landing is it was a routine landing. The video was made with a telephoto lens and that makes everything look shorter and closer.

Crosswinds will cause sides to get air but braking will continue along with throttle & prop adjustments.

Note in the video that the pilot was able to make a left turn onto the taxiway without having to turn back on the runway so he did not even make it to the apron.
You might want to watch it again, look for when the spoilers deploy (shortly after the mains touch identified by the tire smoke). Thats way down the runway.

·
That's a Bingo!
4,527 Posts

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
I'd say he got lucky. Where I work it's a mandatory go around if we aren't down in the first third of the runway, he was well beyond that. Southwest tried that a Burbank several years back and it didn't work out to good.
http://
I agree with others that it looks worse than it really was due to camera angle. Granted, I don't fly 737's so I could be off but it does look like he lands long but obviously not so much as they made the turn off with no issue. Southwest FLT 1455 landed 2800' down on a 6032' runway at 181 knots. This aircraft obviously had a different outcome.

Here's another one at the same airport. He actually lands a little short, I don't fault him though, short runways get exciting. Ideally, we aim for the big white blocks towards the beginning of the runway.http://
That's not a short runway, this is a short runway (from my last carrier trap back in Jul 06). Kidding aside, I've heard there are some definite difficult runways to land at in the big jets. This looks like one of them.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts